COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
rockfordstone

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Tue 24 Nov 2020, 3:11 pm
Thank you for the replies - it is a genuine question, I have been under care by the hospital for my condition I have had this condition most of my life due to poor lung functions and a lower immune system, we have been able to fine tune it with a combination of drugs and high strength vitamins.
Yes the doctor mentioned that the vaccine could send my own limited immune system in overdrive and interupt the fine balance I have been trying for years to reach - that to me is Very Important.
i think part of the strategy will be hoping that those who are able to have it will do, thus protecting those who are unable to have it. in theory if everyone around you is vaccinated against it then they can't pass it to you.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

by the sounds of it, most of us are going to be either in tier 3 or tier 2 when this lockdown ends

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Cornwall, Isle of Wight and Isles of Scilly the only places in Tier 1.

Everywhere else in Tier 2 & 3.

Liverpool moving to Tier 2.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Gov website to lookup up new Tier system crashes within mins: I know the rules on pubs but not too sure about breweries during the lockdown. Can pissups be organised within these beweries? It would appear not.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Tier 1: Medium alert
South East
Isle of Wight
South West
Cornwall
Isles of Scilly

Tier 2: High alert
North West
Cumbria
Liverpool City Region
Warrington and Cheshire
Yorkshire
York
North Yorkshire
West Midlands
Worcestershire
Herefordshire
Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin
East Midlands
Rutland
Northamptonshire
East of England
Suffolk
Hertfordshire
Cambridgeshire, including Peterborough
Norfolk
Essex, Thurrock and Southend on Sea
Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes
London
all 32 boroughs plus the City of London
South East
East Sussex
West Sussex
Brighton and Hove
Surrey
Reading
Wokingham
Bracknell Forest
Windsor and Maidenhead
West Berkshire
Hampshire (except the Isle of Wight), Portsmouth and Southampton
Buckinghamshire
Oxfordshire
South West
South Somerset, Somerset West and Taunton, Mendip and Sedgemoor
Bath and North East Somerset
Dorset
Bournemouth
Christchurch
Poole
Gloucestershire
Wiltshire and Swindon
Devon

Tier 3: Very High alert
North East
Tees Valley Combined Authority:
Hartlepool
Middlesbrough
Stockton-on-Tees
Redcar and Cleveland
Darlington
North East Combined Authority:
Sunderland
South Tyneside
Gateshead
Newcastle upon Tyne
North Tyneside
County Durham
Northumberland
North West
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Blackpool
Blackburn with Darwen
Yorkshire and The Humber
The Humber
West Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Midlands
Birmingham and Black Country
Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull
East Midlands
Derby and Derbyshire
Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
Leicester and Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
South East
Slough (remainder of Berkshire is tier 2: High alert)
Kent and Medway
South West
Bristol
South Gloucestershire
North Somerset

Published 26 November 2020
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/full-list-o ... rs-by-area
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

So, during the Xmas break, can anyone drive to the Isle of Wight or Cornwall to enjoy the full Tier 1 experience? (and put them up to Tier 2 in the process?)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

roger

Post by roger »

pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 26 Nov 2020, 12:30 pm
So, during the Xmas break, can anyone drive to the Isle of Wight or Cornwall to enjoy the full Tier 1 experience? (and put them up to Tier 2 in the process?)
As things stand, yes you can as different rules apply 23rd to 28th December inclusive, with no restrictions on travel between tiers.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

pbeardmore wrote:
i think the tiers are reviewed every 2 weeks, so there will be a change from the 16th of december. its possible that we may all be in tier 1 by then....

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

rockfordstone wrote:
Thu 26 Nov 2020, 4:57 pm
pbeardmore wrote:
i think the tiers are reviewed every 2 weeks, so there will be a change from the 16th of december. its possible that we may all be in tier 1 by then....
Apparently Matt Hancock has suggested that there will be a weekly rethink after December 16.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

CJS

Post by CJS »

rockfordstone wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:
Or we may all be in Tier 3 by then...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

we went into the national lockdown in tier 1, like alot of the country, and have come out of it in not only tier 2, but a "harsher" tier 2 - like a lot of the country

So, pretty sure that lockdown didn't work.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

CJS wrote:
Thu 26 Nov 2020, 9:06 pm
rockfordstone wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:
Or we may all be in Tier 3 by then...

I can’t see them lowering any before Christmas or the busy NHS period in Jan or Feb. I wouldn’t be surprised if the tiered system goes on in some form after March.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

England's average is 202.3. Where I live is 204.5 and we are in tier 3

This is purely punishment for Andy burnham trying to look after people from greater Manchester.
Start every day with a smile!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Complete shambles by this incompetent government no wonder people are starting to get Really fed up of this now.

If someone had described this happening Two years ago they would have been laughed at and called an idiot.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

It looks like we may be in the ridiculous situation come Tuesday (vote in the commons) that its going to be up be Labour to decide on if a Tory policy gets implemented. There were 32(?) votes against the lockdown last month from within the Tory party. It looks like that number may be greater than that this time around and it only requires 40 rebels for Boris to lose his majority.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Everywhere you see and hear on the tv and radio, one thing is common. That is you must have the vaccine. It is being pushed too much by the media.

I will not have it, Im not an Anti Vaxxer, I had the flu jab at work. But the main reason why I will not have this is. Plain and simply, it has not been tested enough. For a start the vaccine has been tested so far on healthy individuals with no symptoms or any other underlying conditions. We dont know enough about the side effects of this drug. We dont know how it will react with other drugs in the system.

No I am not using a stupid meme on facebook or twitter but reading from medical journals,and seeking advice from collegues at work in the Labs.

For instance on another drug called infliximab, used for patients with Chrons or Collitis. My father was on it for his chrons. It was given every so often but no checks were gven into the reaction to the body untill he complained of a pain in his liver(he wasnt much of a drinker) they found a cloud on his liver, a tumour. within 6 months this tumour grew expedentially and within 2 years he had died from total renal and liver faliure. In the autopsy the Coroner had mentioned this has been brought on by the infliximab. while reading medical reports and journals of coroners reports we found that this was known about and was common in patients who were on it for long periods without regular checks.

So if you dont mind. Until I have seen the evidence that it is perfectly safe with other medication and diseases I will give it a miss.
Start every day with a smile!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

ted633 wrote:
Fri 27 Nov 2020, 7:39 am
It looks like we may be in the ridiculous situation come Tuesday (vote in the commons) that its going to be up be Labour to decide on if a Tory policy gets implemented. There were 32(?) votes against the lockdown last month from within the Tory party. It looks like that number may be greater than that this time around and it only requires 40 rebels for Boris to lose his majority.
Some are starting to feel the lockdowns are pointless and just hurting more than the effects of having the virus.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Andy
A very clear argument against vaccination based on both scientific and personal experience.
From which, you know I'm about to disagree with you.
In terms of the science, firstly the level of research into tackling this virus has far exceeded anything else in vaccine development and at least some of the proposed vaccines are based on existing technology using "dead virus which will act as known safe vaccines do. The understanding that the effective vaccines all seem to attack the protein spike shows a common and consistent strategy.
Your final line about it being perfectly safe with other medicines and diseases - well my mum ended up in hospital with a dangerous liver condition after taking 6 paracetamol over 2 days so no medicine can be guaranteed to be risk free.
It's also why, at 63 and male and therefore getting into one of the more at risk groups, I'm taking part in one of the vaccine trials - and hoping I'm of the 50% who have received the vaccine not the placebo.
But wider than that, in the last 3 weeks my best mate from college has had a bad bout of the virus, his dad died of it and my cousin lost her husband - the latter pair with co-morbidities. Had the virus been less prevalent through herd immunity/mass vaccination none would have been exposed in the first place.
Wider still is the wish/desire/desperate need to get back to some form of normality. Without the significant majority of people becoming immune through vaccination we will never go back to theatres, concerts, pub sessions, religious services, major sporting events that give so much to our lives - or the simple things like popping around to a friend's for a drink without all the preplanning. Education for children and young people will never have it's feeling of safety - one of our local secondary schools is shut because some many staff are ill - not only are the pupils not in school, they're not receiving on-line education either.
Travel, locally and globally, will simply go - without proof of vaccination there's a good chance you'll not be allowed on an aircraft or ferry - let alone be allowed entry into other countries; much the same as with proof of vaccination against yellow fever for many areas now.
Finally, life is precious but it's also a constant risk (100% fatal after all) and after surviving nasty motor bike falls, being mugged at knife point in Jamaica and having the scary thrills of totally losing it on black ski runs the vaccination is a risk I am taking to make not only my life worth living but to help others get back to normal.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 27 Nov 2020, 7:07 pm
Andy
A very clear argument against vaccination based on both scientific and personal experience.
From which, you know I'm about to disagree with you.
In terms of the science, firstly the level of research into tackling this virus has far exceeded anything else in vaccine development and at least some of the proposed vaccines are based on existing technology using "dead virus which will act as known safe vaccines do. The understanding that the effective vaccines all seem to attack the protein spike shows a common and consistent strategy.
Your final line about it being perfectly safe with other medicines and diseases - well my mum ended up in hospital with a dangerous liver condition after taking 6 paracetamol over 2 days so no medicine can be guaranteed to be risk free.
It's also why, at 63 and male and therefore getting into one of the more at risk groups, I'm taking part in one of the vaccine trials - and hoping I'm of the 50% who have received the vaccine not the placebo.
But wider than that, in the last 3 weeks my best mate from college has had a bad bout of the virus, his dad died of it and my cousin lost her husband - the latter pair with co-morbidities. Had the virus been less prevalent through herd immunity/mass vaccination none would have been exposed in the first place.
Wider still is the wish/desire/desperate need to get back to some form of normality. Without the significant majority of people becoming immune through vaccination we will never go back to theatres, concerts, pub sessions, religious services, major sporting events that give so much to our lives - or the simple things like popping around to a friend's for a drink without all the preplanning. Education for children and young people will never have it's feeling of safety - one of our local secondary schools is shut because some many staff are ill - not only are the pupils not in school, they're not receiving on-line education either.
Travel, locally and globally, will simply go - without proof of vaccination there's a good chance you'll not be allowed on an aircraft or ferry - let alone be allowed entry into other countries; much the same as with proof of vaccination against yellow fever for many areas now.
Finally, life is precious but it's also a constant risk (100% fatal after all) and after surviving nasty motor bike falls, being mugged at knife point in Jamaica and having the scary thrills of totally losing it on black ski runs the vaccination is a risk I am taking to make not only my life worth living but to help others get back to normal.
This. I was lucky enough to have a not-too-bad dose of the disease and while that wasn't fun (and I consider myself most likely protected as a result), when my name comes up for vaccination my only worry is whether the needle will go into arm (don't mind) or rump (prefer not) - if only to get the certificate that will most likely become as necessary as the Yellow Fever one I have to take some places already.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I see the ‘experts’ at SAGE are busy giving more advice on how we can have a safe Christmas. Not content with us not hugging granny, they say we should also avoid the face-to-face proximity of board games and have a family quiz instead. Perhaps we should also have Christmas dinner facing away from each other, or have it in shifts with no more than two at the table at any one time?

And it seems the responsibility for making sure all this happens rests with the ladies as, in a statement best read in your best 1950s public information film accent, they are saying: "Women carry the burden of creating and maintaining family traditions and activities at Christmas” and that "Messaging should be supportive of women adapting traditions and encouraging those around them to share the burden and to be supportive of any alterations to adapt for Covid-19 restrictions”.

We’ve been told what we can and can’t do when we’re at work, out shopping, on the train, on the bus or having a walk in the park. We’ve been told who we can and can’t meet and where and when. Now we’re being advised what we should and shouldn’t do inside our own homes. Please can they shut up and give it a rest? There’s a nasty bug going around. We understand that. It’s all we’ve heard about for the last eight months. Let us decide how we’ll deal with it when we’re with our families and in our homes.

I, for one, am finding this controlling, patronising and now sexist drivel rather tiresome. I’ll be glad when the pandemic is over and we can put these people back inside their box.
Ken

verreli

Post by verreli »

Consider that they were in these senior positions before the pandemic and they'll be in them after.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sat 28 Nov 2020, 12:03 am
I see the ‘experts’ at SAGE are busy giving more advice on how we can have a safe Christmas. Not content with us not hugging granny, they say we should also avoid the face-to-face proximity of board games and have a family quiz instead. Perhaps we should also have Christmas dinner facing away from each other, or have it in shifts with no more than two at the table at any one time?

And it seems the responsibility for making sure all this happens rests with the ladies as, in a statement best read in your best 1950s public information film accent, they are saying: "Women carry the burden of creating and maintaining family traditions and activities at Christmas” and that "Messaging should be supportive of women adapting traditions and encouraging those around them to share the burden and to be supportive of any alterations to adapt for Covid-19 restrictions”.

We’ve been told what we can and can’t do when we’re at work, out shopping, on the train, on the bus or having a walk in the park. We’ve been told who we can and can’t meet and where and when. Now we’re being advised what we should and shouldn’t do inside our own homes. Please can they shut up and give it a rest? There’s a nasty bug going around. We understand that. It’s all we’ve heard about for the last eight months. Let us decide how we’ll deal with it when we’re with our families and in our homes.

I, for one, am finding this controlling, patronising and now sexist drivel rather tiresome. I’ll be glad when the pandemic is over and we can put these people back inside their box.

Hear hear - well said - the whole thing is getting stupid.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

verreli wrote:
Sat 28 Nov 2020, 1:32 am
Consider that they were in these senior positions before the pandemic and they'll be in them after.

Can you find any info on SAGE say back to 2015/16/17 etc I can only track them back a year or so, and certainly not as far back as Ten years ago - just wonder if they are a Conservative influenced concern or have they been in exsistance even during a Labour parliment.

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

SAGE only stands up at a time when they are needed, the members have other full time jobs being very clever people, they don't work for the Government but are called together to advise the Government of the day during national emergencies.
SAGE has advised the government on a number of events, including:

the 2009 flu pandemic
the 2010 eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull
the 2011 Fukushima nuclear accident
the 2013–14 United Kingdom winter floods
the 2014 Ebola outbreak
the 2015 Nepal earthquake
the 2015–16 Zika virus epidemic
the potential catastrophic breach of Toddbrook Reservoir in 2019
the COVID-19 pandemic
From Wikipedia.