Covid Poll

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related

What is your current work situation?

1. Retired
10%
1. Retired
10%
2. Still working as before the crisis (including now working from home), nothing has changed in pay or conditions
27%
2. Still working as before the crisis (including now working from home), nothing has changed in pay or conditions
27%
3. Still working but on reduced pay and / or hours
3%
3. Still working but on reduced pay and / or hours
3%
4. Not working but still employed on full pay until social distancing is over and can return to work
1%
4. Not working but still employed on full pay until social distancing is over and can return to work
1%
5. Furloughed
6%
5. Furloughed
6%
6. Laid off since crisis started and looking for work applying for universal credit
2%
6. Laid off since crisis started and looking for work applying for universal credit
2%
7. Work & pay increased since crisis started
1%
7. Work & pay increased since crisis started
1%
8. Not working before the crisis and not working now
2%
8. Not working before the crisis and not working now
2%

Total votes: 200

starbuck

Covid Poll

Post by starbuck »

As we all know this thing we are currently going through his 2 parts to it - health and economics. At the moment and quite rightly, the focus is on the countries health but I am also curious to know how people are affected in terms of work as this isn't really being talked about in any great detail in the media at the moment.

As we seem to have quite an eclectic bunch on here I thought it might be interesting to carry out a poll, if there is a circumstance / category you think is missing let me know and i will add it in as long as it isn't too specific.

I myself have been furloughed now for 2 weeks and look like I will be having another 4 weeks at least as long as the company I work for can survive.

I appreciate peoples situations may change from how they originally cast their vote as the crisis continues but we can't do much about that, maybe make a comment below the poll?

Andy'll do

Re: Covid Poll

Post by Andy'll do »

I am one of the lucky ones. I work for a food wholesalers supplying, amongst others, nursing homes. We have lost some customers, who have had to close but picked up lots of private addresses through putting it out on facebook. My heart goes out to those of you currently fourloughed and i truly hope as many as possible will be back at work when this is all over. In the meantime, stay safe all.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As Local Authority, we are somewhat protected from Furlough or being made redundant during the crisis.

I'm currently working at home as are the vast majority of my colleagues, only those that must be are in the offices and the front line day to day services are manned.

Those of us that are not classed as front line essential, we can be redeployed at any time to assist those that are and to fill in the gaps as they are taken ill or have to self isolate due to someone in their household.

Therefore day to day I don't know what I will be doing in the coming weeks. What they have said is that they will try to redeploy us to roles commensurate with our skills and seniority level but if we are redeployed lower than this we will not have our pay affected - if redeployed higher or our working hours change as a result, the difference will be made up/overtime will be paid - instead of accruing flex time.

Andy

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

Front line emergency services, still get paid the same.

However we have had our shifts changed to not clash with the shift coming on/off. However with everyone staying home work has significantly dried up, so it's a matter of passing the shift and quickly as possible without a mate in the car with you.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Teacher here, so again very lucky as I'm still on full pay. I'm working in school 2/3 days per week, including over the holidays, with the children of key workers.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Canon

Post by Canon »

As a student, we still have to do 'online exams' so we still need to study. We have no methods to de-stress or talk to people.

We have no way of making extra money from part time jobs (uni open days etc) and we don't get an increase in student loan money. Our parents earn less and therefore can't afford to give us more money now. To add to this, our bills are increasing since we are stuck at home so can no longer use campus computers or charge our phones using their electricity etc.

The government needs to do something to support us. If MPs can claim £10,000 expenses for working from home, we should be able to too.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

JJC

Post by JJC »

Much the same as Ewart, although fortunately mainly based in the office. We cannot work from home due to the systems/access required, so for my team it is business as usual.

I’ll be working a 12 hr night from 7pm. It’ll be Domino’s for us all tonight.

Stay safe and well all those out on the frontline, you’re not getting the recognition but we see you’re all doing the best you can. :up:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

DrBenR

Post by DrBenR »

Working from home for me - luckily on same pay and hours....for now. Currently working in pharmacovigilance and mostly around vaccines (Ebola, RSV and hepatitis B), but loads of colleagues are trying to develop a vaccine as quick as is possible. Anyone who wonders why new compounds are so expensive should work for a pharma company to understand why!!!
Expect my workload to go up as subjects on clinical trials fall ill to COVID-19 infections, plus incidental cases where Joe Public is taking our product X and happens to fall ill whilst taking it.
Only had 1 COVID-19 case from France pass through my hands so far, and workload right now has dipped as investigators are not vaccinating for other diseases at the moment to avoid subjects coming into healthcare facilities around the world.

Ben R

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Canon wrote:As a student, we still have to do 'online exams' so we still need to study. We have no methods to de-stress or talk to people.

We have no way of making extra money from part time jobs (uni open days etc) and we don't get an increase in student loan money. Our parents earn less and therefore can't afford to give us more money now. To add to this, our bills are increasing since we are stuck at home so can no longer use campus computers or charge our phones using their electricity etc.

The government needs to do something to support us. If MPs can claim £10,000 expenses for working from home, we should be able to too.

So if you are stuck at home, why are your bills increasing? Surely it´s your parent´s bills which are increasing.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

None of the above. Self-employed in the events industry that has been shut down since March.

Waiting to be contacted by HMRC about the scheme to help sole traders. Currently living on funds from personal bank account, the balance of which will reach zero sometime during the next week or so. After that it will be into the savings that are earmarked for tax.

Canon

Post by Canon »

TonyB wrote:
Canon wrote:As a student, we still have to do 'online exams' so we still need to study. We have no methods to de-stress or talk to people.

So if you are stuck at home, why are your bills increasing? Surely it´s your parent´s bills which are increasing.

Because I'm at my uni house...
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I’m a bank worker & have been working from home, but can be called out to any branch in the Birmingham area, if I have to leave home I can claim lunch allowance on top of my mileage so I’m actually earning more
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Canon wrote:
TonyB wrote:

Because I'm at my uni house...

Thanks for clearing that up. It was just this part which confused me.......

To add to this, our bills are increasing since we are stuck at home so can no longer use campus computers or charge our phones using their electricity etc.

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

I'm a security guard, only paid when I am actually working.

In a peverse way, this pandemic is a kind of bonus, in that I'm getting more work than usual, as I am basically a relief guard, on call to cover sickness calls.

The down side is that I often get last minute calls to distant (+40 mile journey) sites.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Made redundant with a bit of a payout so currently living off that. Should get me to the end of May/mid-June then will work out what to do, got a little bit of savings to play with if necessary.
TonyB wrote:To add to this, our bills are increasing since we are stuck at home so can no longer use campus computers or charge our phones using their electricity etc.

My electricity bill has gone up by ~£10 a month as both the wife and I are at home 24/7.

Canon

Post by Canon »

cg_341 wrote:My electricity bill has gone up by ~£10 a month as both the wife and I are at home 24/7.

The electricity bill has over doubled since we have to study basically all day, which we use computers for.
Students struggle to get by as is, but an extra £30 a month for electricity for the next however many months certainly isn't ok.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Unfortunately I am unable to select only one option as I am both officially retired and would also be performing part-time work if the workshop were not closed due to a lack of work caused by the Covid situation.

Various contracts on which we were working (including one large job) were cancelled, some of them before the official lockdown, so there is now no work to be done. I also slipped through the safety net as I could be considered part of the "gig economy" so was not even officially employed.

Therefore I am now living only on my pension, which is enough to maintain a basic (but adequate) standard of living but requires careful management of resources and will permit no luxuries or extravagances...
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

timuss

Post by timuss »

I work in a hotel so we were right in the firing line as it were when the restrictions came in, luckily i have been put on the Government furlough scheme so i'm at least getting a wage.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Licensed aircraft engineer for a large British airline. The repatriation and cargo flights are keeping the work going at the moment. Significant numbers of engineers in other work areas have been furloughed, but my area is more or less untouched. I expect that will change at some point. Technically earning less as overtime has stopped!

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

I work in food manufacturing so still going to work as normal. We are very busy at the moment due to increased demand and with a number of staff self isolating. Lots of social distancing measures put in place when clocking in, hand washing stations and in the canteen. Feel fortunate still to have a routine and some normality in my life. Stay safe.

Post by 5944 »

Train maintainer for a train operating company. Only about half the number of trains needed for service (usually not carrying any passengers!) but they still maintaining, so generally work hasn't changed. Quite a few people are off work though, so those of us who are left are taking up the slack. Shift patterns and pay still the same at present. Wife works for the NHS as a manager and her work hasn't changed just yet, but that could easily all change if things get worse.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I worked from home before the lockdown and will continue to work from home after the lockdown. I’ve actually been busier because not only do I provide software support and monitoring services to our customers , I’m also in charge of internal IT. With everyone else in the company now working from home, I’m getting daily calls about problems they are having.

My eldest daughter works in IT at Man Airport. She’s on reduced shifts. My middle daughter is manager of the restaurants and bars in a massive hotel for a global chain. She’s had to lay all her staff off, the restaurants and bars are shut ( only 1 bar was open for the gym and golf course but that is now shut too ) she’s doing lots of paperwork. She may end being Furloughed. I am taking care of a 9 gallon barrel of real ale that was going to be wasted. It’s had a glorious end to it’s life after I borrowed a wooden peg and a tap for it.
My youngest daughter is teaching in Hong Kong. Well virtually. She’s in charge of internet learning and doing online Zumba workouts for the children until her school re-opens.. If you knew her you would know how hilarious her doing Zumba is :)
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

This is a really interesting thread. As it stands at present 71% of us are basically unaffected as a result of retirement or hanging onto normal employment. It doesn't make it any better for those of you who are affected but it does give me some hope that we may have a chance of coming out the other side. Best wishes to anybody who is struggling and lets hope we come through it relatively quickly.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Classed as a key worker by the MoD so still working but on shorter shifts. Girlfriend works in a veterinary practice so she's still working too but with minimal staff and only accepting emergencies.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

both my wife and i are still working. she is classed as a key worker so is still going to her workplace, i am working from home.