Your holiday plans

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related

What are your holiday plans for the remainder of 2020?

Not planning anything
20%
Will wait and see
16%
Will wait until I can book one for 2021
5%
Have deferred my booking until 2021
10%
Have cancelled plans for at least one
14%
Got a UK holiday booked
16%
Got a EU / EAA holiday planned
5%
Got a holiday planned outside UK / EU / EAA
6%
I'm still trying to get my money back from the one I've cancelled
7%
other
2%

Total votes: 88

Zoom

Re: Your holiday plans

Post by Zoom »

Andyph wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 11:21 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020, 7:52 pm
New Zealand might the only place worth going.
No offence but why on earth would we want tourism from a COVID hotspot like the UK?

We are desperate to keep our borders shut!
Yep and the "air corridors" that are (maybe) being considered in Europe are aimed at reopening tourism between countries with similar infection rates. NZ would be very well advised to keep its borders closed and maintain its quarantine for now.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Andyph wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 11:21 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Wed 10 Jun 2020, 7:52 pm
New Zealand might the only place worth going.
No offence but why on earth would we want tourism from a COVID hotspot like the UK?

We are desperate to keep our borders shut!
None taken. It was a comment on the small number of places where UK citizens would want to go, but you're right, New Zealand would want to keep its borders closed. But like a lot of places where tourism is an important industry, this cannot be sustained long-term.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

so the UKG plan is staycations?

**** that; I prefer to get away from the British as often as possible. Even more so as we are carrying the virus more than the rest of Europe

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 8:57 pm

**** that; I prefer to get away from the British as often as possible. Even more so as we are carrying the virus more than the rest of Europe
I hate the word "staycation" is it even a word?

Please holiday in the UK instead.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Cornwall's tourism chief has said that the extra influx of landlocked tourists from other parts of the UK is likely to bring an increase in cases.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Zoom wrote:

UKG?

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Wed 24 Jun 2020, 9:30 am
Zoom wrote:

UKG?
United Kingdom Government?

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Yes United Kingdom Government.

I think the yesterday's fiasco in Bournemouth is a foretaste of what summer in the UK is going to be. Got my hopes pinned on an air bridge to a quiet self contained cabin by the sea

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Yesterday booked to go to The Western Isles in September I can't wait.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Euan Buchan wrote:
Tue 30 Jun 2020, 4:00 pm
Yesterday booked to go to The Western Isles in September I can't wait.
If they let you in...

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

and where had I booked to go?

yep Portugal it actually seemed the most sensible destination as outside Lisbon they have escaped the horrendous infection rates of much of Europe,

still planning to go even if it means self-isolation on return just hope they don't cancel the flight or quarantine us in retaliation, and got 5 days to change the flights for free although they are all going through the roof now

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

A few days on the Suffolk/Essex border week after next to walk in the steps of Constable, watch the waves at Aldborough and get dragged around Beth Chatto’s gardens.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Did everyone's plans go OK? I managed to slip away to Portugal even though it meant 14 days quarantine working from home it was well worth it.

It's looking like all of Europe and further afield will soon be on the UK's quarantine list. I'm still required to take 2 more weeks before the end of September so it might have to be Scotland

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

Managed to get all of our money back from our cancelled June holiday/cruise in Canada.
Our UK break isn't until the start of December but that's at a private rental at Tattershall Lakes and we have no interest in using the club/bar facilities so as long as the park is open and no local lockdowns we'll be there :sunglasses:
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm
Did everyone's plans go OK? I managed to slip away to Portugal even though it meant 14 days quarantine working from home it was well worth it.

It's looking like all of Europe and further afield will soon be on the UK's quarantine list. I'm still required to take 2 more weeks before the end of September so it might have to be Scotland
Maybe you will have quarantine both ways if you go to Scotland. :grinning: :grinning:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Its going to be next year for me, although a couple of uk weekends away are on the cards. We are a little burned out right now.
Start every day with a smile!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 28 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm
The trip to Suffolk/Essex was fine; we stopped at the Stoke-by-Nayland golf club which was clean and had all the covid stuff in place. We're off to Torquay next week and looking forward to the Brixham restaurants and walking on Dartmoor. Planning the North Coast 500 for next year. I think you forget how great Britain can be - as long as you take a multitude of clothing.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I will just be doing the Duxford airshow weekend, which is my 2020 holiday. Had hoped to go to France, but with the quarantine I didn't book and their September show was cancelled anyway.

Though right now I consider a day out of town a holiday.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Havn't been away in over twenty years - can not afford luxuries like that.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Having spent a week in Italy with no internet I watched BBC World News (also Al Jazeera / France 24 in English) so didn't know if I'd be required to quarantine until the day before I came back to the UK. I was astounded to see that the 7 days figure (20 cases/100000 being the threshold above which quarantine is considered) is now 35 for the UK!!

Why are pubs and shops still open? why aren't we in lockdown?!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

with another 4 countries added to the UK quarantine list yesterday I think the chances that anyone will be able to go to their intended destination abroad next year or even the year after are diminishing. I think the whole flawed travel corridor idea was to allow people in the UK to take their booked summer family holidays (or at least a holiday even if not the originally intended one) and now we are back at school and the window of relatively safe travel to some countries is closing it's back to your lives citizens. Or even to stop people complaining even if they didn't actually take advantage of it. They may come up with something different next year.

Barring a vaccine or else the world just throwing in the towel and letting the virus rip rather than damage the economy even further.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Managed to get away for a week in July there when cases were at a very low and sustained level. Now a weekend away has been cancelled due to the new restrictions.

I do wonder if a three-week severe lockdown right now would be a better option than this creeping onwards way of 'managing' cases.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

No holidays for me this year, had to cancel two earlier trips to Europe during the lockdown. Local Lockdowns appear to be the new way of shutting things down, without flushing the entire economy down the toilet.

Thankfully, North Wales appears to be fully open for anyone fancying a short break in a lovely Bed and Breakfast...Just saying :grin:

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

We had 2 camping holidays in the uk - one in Wiltshire in July and one in Yorkshire in August.

Both were fine, we spent most of the time visiting English Heritage sites (booked in advance) or walking in the countryside.

We went to 2 pubs and 2 cafes both of which were virtually empty.

Camping is a fairly distanced activity so we felt safe throughout.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk