Guy Gibson's Dog Headstone replaced

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
ericbee123

Re: Guy Gibson's Dog Headstone replaced

Post by ericbee123 »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 8:00 am
A few years ago in school, before the days of computers and interactive boards and boards you could use felt pens on, we were told to use the phrase chalk board rather than blackboard.
Anyway, BC - how goes the brewing and wine making?
Hopefully you thought , “that’s ridiculous, who on Earth is going to be offended by me calling this board, which is black, a blackboard ?”

Edit. PS. I’m typing this on a black iPhone, while sat in my black car, outside my house in Blackpool. So I’m screwed.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

vandal

Post by vandal »

ericbee123 wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 11:29 am
iainpeden wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 8:00 am
A few years ago in school, before the days of computers and interactive boards and boards you could use felt pens on, we were told to use the phrase chalk board rather than blackboard.
Anyway, BC - how goes the brewing and wine making?
Hopefully you thought , “that’s ridiculous, who on Earth is going to be offended by me calling this board, which is black, a blackboard ?”

Edit. PS. I’m typing this on a black iPhone, while sat in my black car, outside my house in Blackpool. So I’m screwed.
I was just discussing the impending return to school with another parent not two hours ago & she mentioned (among other things) a whiteboard.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Back to the film, if the word -. .. --. --. . .-. was deleted, I wonder what word was used by the crew, when transmitting the successful breach of the Mohne Dam?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

vandal

Post by vandal »

TonyC wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 4:08 pm
Back to the film, if the word -. .. --. --. . .-. was deleted, I wonder what word was used by the crew, when transmitting the successful breach of the Mohne Dam?
Any scene in which that word was mentioned with reference to the actual mission - such as when briefing the crews before take off & during the bombing runs, the film was edited - in effect the offending word was not mentioned, at all.

Morse Code could still be heard though.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

As we have sort of moved on to the vagaries and inconsistencies of political correctness this is an interesting one:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... nt-3769516
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

JonMann

Post by JonMann »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 6:43 pm
As we have sort of moved on to the vagaries and inconsistencies of political correctness this is an interesting one:

Think this is a bit different, Lego has always had a policy that they do not produce models that have an association with war/military as it was one of the founders rules (I know they produce Star Wars, have produced stuff from Indiana Jones and have made guns but these usually come under fanstasy/fiction) so don't know how this got through in the first place, think it was something to do with it being marked up as a rescue version so thought that would be ok. Yes they have produced other military things, Sopwith Pup for example, but don't know how that got through either.

Also the thing about the German Peace Society having an effect. They had a petition that had about a couple of hundred signatures so doubt it was a factor in the decision (they also had a protest outside a Lego store that 3 people turned up to).

I am a big fan of Lego, though don't really delve into Technic, so have been following this since the news came out.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... on-4371305

Methinks the petition's instigator needs to go back to school and take more notice in the History lessons.

And tellingly....
A poll on Lincolnshire Live showed that 93 per cent of readers disagreed with the decision to remove the original gravestone.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 6:43 pm

Why the hell did they choose an Osprey anyway? Of all the warplanes they could have picked 😕
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Sun 02 Aug 2020, 2:09 pm
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... on-4371305

Methinks the petition's instigator needs to go back to school and take more notice in the History lessons.

And tellingly....
A poll on Lincolnshire Live showed that 93 per cent of readers disagreed with the decision to remove the original gravestone.
if lincolnshirelive is anything to do with cambridgeshirelive (which it seems it is) then the people who "wrote" the article probably just copied and pasted the words from the petition followed by "he wrote" or "he said", possibly with a few outraged facebook comments thrown in for good measure.

anything from the "live" series of news outlets is just clickbait nonsense written by people who can copy and paste with apparently no editing or checking at all

Victor77

Post by Victor77 »

The name was used as a call sign for 617 Tornado Squadron. But was changed to Digger after a complaint from a NATO ally.