Proud to be British?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Robin

Re: Proud to be British?

Post by Robin »

My daughter lives in St Helier and this morning she sent me an e-mail with a photo taken from their garden of one of the Royal Naval ships patrolling off the beach protecting our sovereignty.
Per Ardua ad Astra

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

"Our" sovereignty was never threatened. Getting the Royal Navy involved was cynical electioneering and k**b-waving by the incompetent Johnson. The United Kingdom is being threatened from the inside, not from outside.

Berf

Post by Berf »

They are not sovereign states...

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Isn’t one of the day jobs of the River class boats to provide “Fisheries Protection”?

Wouldn’t this be an ideal place to send your fishery protection vessels right now ?

Surely it’s the media going on about gunboats and sending The Royal Navy in - we’ve sent out fishery protection vessels to watch over loads of foreign fishing boats.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

ericbee123 wrote:
Thu 06 May 2021, 5:30 pm
Isn’t one of the day jobs of the River class boats to provide “Fisheries Protection”?

Wouldn’t this be an ideal place to send your fishery protection vessels right now ?

Surely it’s the media going on about gunboats and sending The Royal Navy in - we’ve sent out fishery protection vessels to watch over loads of foreign fishing boats.
Yes. The trouble is, we've set our own house on fire.... of course the right thing to do is call the fire brigade, that's what they are there for... like the fisheries protection vessels to protect our fisheries. It would however simply have been much wiser not to set the house on fire in the first place, but to have the cheek to say "i'm proud of my house", then set it on fire and then say "I'm proud of setting my house on fire" is silly. But then that's modern patriotism.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Thanks.

A simple “I agree with you” will do next time.

I had trouble figuring it out initially, that you agree that we should have sent fishery protection vessels.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Why would we need to send fisheries protection vessels? The French vessels weren't fishing, they were carrying out a protest.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

DerekF wrote:
Thu 06 May 2021, 6:27 pm
Why would we need to send fisheries protection vessels? The French vessels weren't fishing, they were carrying out a protest.
A carrier would be overkill?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

What carrier is that? The one we've sent to "show the flag" in our former colonies?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

With Trump out of the picture, the UK is the laughing stock of the world.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon. It's almost if major parts of our citizenship won't be happy until we start a war again!

Proud to be British? I'm embarrassed to be at the moment, how could our population have gotten so gullible and, frankly, stupid in such a short period of time.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

DerekF wrote:
Thu 06 May 2021, 9:09 pm
What carrier is that? The one we've sent to "show the flag" in our former colonies?
Jumping the gun a little bit there Derek. Scotland isn't a former colony just yet.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Johnson desperate to avoid any more talk of the cash for curtains scandal, the contract sleaze, the calamitous state of our future post-Brexit economy, or the terrible Covid death toll.

Send in some navy boats.

Britain is a laughing stock but the joke isn’t funny anymore.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 06 May 2021, 11:25 pm
Johnson desperate to avoid any more talk of the cash for curtains scandal, the contract sleaze, the calamitous state of our future post-Brexit economy, or the terrible Covid death toll.

Send in some navy boats.

Britain is a laughing stock but the joke isn’t funny anymore.
According to some of the red tops this morning the French have surrendered again because Boris sent in the gun boats. All very predictable and depressing. How can we not see through this? He actually seems to have got better at this sort of thing since Cummings left. Carrie?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 06 May 2021, 9:20 pm
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon. It's almost if major parts of our citizenship won't be happy until we start a war again!
but on the flip side, that same citizenship will cite tony blair and the iraq war as a reason why labour can't be trusted.... it has to be the right kind of war!

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

I find many in the comments on here confusing. Firstly it is not the UK government that is at the centre of this but the Senate (?) of Jersey. It was they who are issuing the licenses.
As for Boris electioneering by sending in gunboats? Utter utter nonsense. The election results would appear to be down to the abject failure of Labour. People would not have been swayed by the Royal Navy sending vessels to a situation that they are absolutely right to be monitoring. The patrol vessels were deployed to do the job that they are meant to do. They were there to monitor the situation which is exactly what they did.

Sending the two vessels is no different than sending them to monitor Russian traffic through the channel. I do wonder sometimes whether people on this site think that we should maintain a military solely for the purpose of their hobby. God forbid they are deployed to do the job they are actually there for.

Proud to be British? Well I’m proud of the service personnel who deployed to the situation and carried out their roles professionally. Does that count?

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

"Jumping the gun a little bit there Derek. Scotland isn't a former colony just yet."

Thanks, never thought we were a colony, so much for a union.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

DerekF wrote:
The French vessels were fishing boats. Who’s to say they wouldn’t drop their nets on the way home after protesting.

Maybe they could just illegally fish with banners all the time. Not fishing - protesting - my nets in the water are part of my protest.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

ericbee123 wrote:
Fri 07 May 2021, 2:46 pm
DerekF wrote:
The French vessels were fishing boats. Who’s to say they wouldn’t drop their nets on the way home after protesting.

Maybe they could just illegally fish with banners all the time. Not fishing - protesting - my nets in the water are part of my protest.
Yes, of course. The French eh? What are they like?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

disgruntled wrote:
Fri 07 May 2021, 11:05 am
I find many in the comments on here confusing. Firstly it is not the UK government that is at the centre of this but the Senate (?) of Jersey. It was they who are issuing the licenses.
As for Boris electioneering by sending in gunboats? Utter utter nonsense. The election results would appear to be down to the abject failure of Labour. People would not have been swayed by the Royal Navy sending vessels to a situation that they are absolutely right to be monitoring.
You've not read the right wing press then. Jingoistic, patriotic nonsense. To suggest that Johnson did not see the value in that is to be blind to Johnson's real motivation...
disgruntled wrote:
The patrol vessels were deployed to do the job that they are meant to do. They were there to monitor the situation which is exactly what they did.

Sending the two vessels is no different than sending them to monitor Russian traffic through the channel. I do wonder sometimes whether people on this site think that we should maintain a military solely for the purpose of their hobby. God forbid they are deployed to do the job they are actually there for.

Proud to be British? Well I’m proud of the service personnel who deployed to the situation and carried out their roles professionally. Does that count?
French fishing boats are hardly the same as Russian warships. Yes, well done to the Navy, sending boats all the way across the treacherous English Channel, keeping out of the way and sailing home when the fishing boats left of their own accord. A job well done. :rolling_eyes:

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

To be fair, if it was the USN they'd all be getting medals by now.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 07 May 2021, 3:14 pm

French fishing boats are hardly the same as Russian warships. Yes, well done to the Navy, sending boats all the way across the treacherous English Channel, keeping out of the way and sailing home when the fishing boats left of their own accord. A job well done. :rolling_eyes:
Did you read about the French Navy dispatching one of there ships towards the Channel Isle, so yes the Navy was rightfully there. I wonder what the response would've been had the French Navy entered UK territorial waters without permission.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

disgruntled

Post by disgruntled »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 07 May 2021, 3:14 pm
disgruntled wrote:
As for Boris electioneering by sending in gunboats? Utter utter nonsense. The election results would appear to be down to the abject failure of Labour. People would not have been swayed by the Royal Navy sending vessels to a situation that they are absolutely right to be monitoring.
You've not read the right wing press then. Jingoistic, patriotic nonsense. To suggest that Johnson did not see the value in that is to be blind to Johnson's real motivation...
disgruntled wrote:
The patrol vessels were deployed to do the job that they are meant to do. They were there to monitor the situation which is exactly what they did.

The Royal Navy’s job is to protect and secure safe and free passage and so it is absolutely within their remit to have a presence in an area where there was potential for this to be compromised. And I say again Derek this was not instigated by Downing Street but by the senate in Jersey.

Fortunately I gain my information from multiple sources and use common sense and intelligence to understand the bigger picture and not just follow trendy headlines. I am neither nationalistic and perhaps before you smear members of UK armed forces and belittle their jobs you spend time in their shoes.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

disgruntled wrote:
Fri 07 May 2021, 4:03 pm
The Royal Navy’s job is to protect and secure safe and free passage and so it is absolutely within their remit to have a presence in an area where there was potential for this to be compromised. And I say again Derek this was not instigated by Downing Street but by the senate in Jersey.
all of the above may be correct. but to the people who read the daily mail those facts are irrelevant.

the tabloid papers, and the usual right wing commentators on social media were dressing it up as boris showing force to the french enemy, and today dressing it up as a typical french surrender.

like this scrote for example

he may not have instigated it, and the vessels were only doing their job, but i sense you are under estimating how much influence the media have on the minds of some of the voting public.

you may get your information from multiple sources, but the usual red top readers will take what's printed as gospel and the idea that we are in some war with the french and britannia rules the waves is a wet dream for a lot of them

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

disgruntled wrote:
As for Boris electioneering by sending in gunboats? Utter utter nonsense.
I quote John Bercow on Question Time last night...
...an absurd act of gunboat diplomacy.

It's a bit of jingoistic sabre rattling and if you tell me, or anybody does tonight that the despatch of those ships and the fact of election day today are unrelated.

I can say only that you will believe anything.

It's juvenile, it's downmarket, it's not constructive, it doesn't advance the cause of the arguments that need to be resolved and the truth of the matter is that the problem flows as so many things persistently do, from Brexit and with the detail with the interstices of the system with the specifics, negotiators have to deal.

It isn't going to be addressed by a kind of Palmerstonian populism, and frankly Britain can do better than that.
As for the claim about the French Navy sending ships.... it was two French Police patrol vessels who were sent to make sure the French fishermen remained peaceful and never left French waters. As you would expect us to do if it was our fishermen demonstrating.