Proud to be British?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
phreakf4

Proud to be British?

Post by phreakf4 »

nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Teaboy

Re: Proud to be British?

Post by Teaboy »

Why would anyone be proud of something, like nationality, they had no choice over, played no part in and did nothing to achieve?

It's such a bizarre concept, to be proud of being British.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 12:05 am
Why would anyone be proud of something, like nationality, they had no choice over, played no part in and did nothing to achieve?

How wrong can you be? Quite a lot apparently. You have a choice where you live. Any cohesive community requires effort from the individuals and shared values to have some sense of belonging. I'm proud to be British and as such have taken career decisions to contribute directly to our collective safety and security. There's nothing bizarre about that.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY on Facebook
DUXFORDfotoGALLERY on Instagram

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Meh!!!!!!

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

I am proud to be British and when I was growing up in the 60’s I considered myself incredibly lucky to have been born in to such a safe and relatively wealthy country. (My parents used to tell me about the poor children in other countries). These days I am less proud of the mistakes and errors that our ruling classes have subjected our country to in recent years. The linked article is from the Guardian yesterday(which as a paper I know is an anathema to some).It’s an interesting article though and it considers historic mistakes and policy errors from both sides of the political divide and links these to failings in the class system and in education.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisf ... exit-covid

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

An accurate comment from an unfashionable man

"You are an Englishman, and have subsequently drawn the greatest prize in the lottery of life."
said by Rhodes to Lord Grey. Michell, Lewis (1910). The Life and Times of the Right Honourable Cecil John Rhodes 1853-1902, Volume 2. New York and London: Mitchell Kennerly. p. 178.

For English, substitute British.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Why did they go skiing? Entitled perhaps?

Back in the spring, it was returning skiers who introduced much of the virus.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 10:04 am
I hope the UK authorities make sure they isolate when they return.
However, having skied at Verbier, all it needed was one Swiss policeman and a couple of traffic cones to close the only exit road.

(Anyone checked where Cummings is?)

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

verreli wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 1:34 am
Teaboy wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 12:05 am

How wrong can you be? Quite a lot apparently. You have a choice where you live. Any cohesive community requires effort from the individuals and shared values to have some sense of belonging. I'm proud to be British and as such have taken career decisions to contribute directly to our collective safety and security. There's nothing bizarre about that.
I could choose to live in Tibet, it wouldn't make me Tibetan or give me any rights to be proud of being Tibetan.

Now if you want to do something for the betterment of society, then you can and indeed have every right to be proud of that.... however it's got nothing to do with being British.

The point I guess of the OP is that because of the actions of these people in the Ski Resorts then one should, be association, be ashamed to be British simply because the offenders are British.... well one could just as easily be ashamed because some of them are men, or they have blonde hair... or they are from London or own a Primal Scream record....

Or they are just other people, and I shall be neither proud nor ashamed of something that was bestowed upon me rather than achieved by myself.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I don’t much care for the aforementioned article - that’s just a bunch of tools and not reflective on Britain as a whole.

This, however, from our government, does shame me:

What jaw-dropping nastiness.

roger

Post by roger »

Lots of citizens assume their Government can get them released from foreign jail just by asking. But the honest truth is that no Government anywhere in the world has a stack of "get out of jail for free" cards for use when their citizens fall foul of a foreign Government's judicial system.

skyhigh

Post by skyhigh »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 10:04 am

Back in the spring, it was returning skiers who introduced much of the virus.
Probably because they didn’t want to be inconvenienced by this COVID-19 global pandemic thingy and dam anyone else that’s wants to ruin their fun.
The idea of placing holiday plans on hold until such time the situation improves being absolutely preposterous!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

roger wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 12:20 pm
Lots of citizens assume their Government can get them released from foreign jail just by asking. But the honest truth is that no Government anywhere in the world has a stack of "get out of jail for free" cards for use when their citizens fall foul of a foreign Government's judicial system.
Fair enough. But an absence of guarantee that they can achieve one's freedom is a helluva long way from saying that one is not entitled to one's own government's assistance and protection. The front page of my passport states:

"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty that all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary." (My emboldening)

Surely even the current imbecile does not imagine that applies to the whole outside world but not their staff, whether abroad or at home?

Robin

Post by Robin »

Back to the title of the post.
I was born in England before WW2.
I served in the Royal Air Force.
I have just received the first of my Covid 19 Vaccinations.

Why should I not be proud to be British.
Per Ardua ad Astra

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

roger wrote:
The point being made here is refusing to assist those that have been arrested "through no fault of their own".... not that they have committed a crime.etc I.e. arrested to make a political statement against the West or the UK.

In this case, this woman has been accused without evidence by Iran and this is the second time she has been prosecuted without release. This time Iran is using quotes from Boris Johnson himself as evidence against her!

The FO should be doing everything they can do to help, she is in trouble purely for being British, not for actually committing a crime it would seem!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

boff180 wrote:
Mon 28 Dec 2020, 1:35 pm
roger wrote:
The point being made here is refusing to assist those that have been arrested "through no fault of their own".... not that they have committed a crime.etc I.e. arrested to make a political statement against the West or the UK.

In this case, this woman has been accused without evidence by Iran and this is the second time she has been prosecuted without release. This time Iran is using quotes from Boris Johnson himself as evidence against her!

The FO should be doing everything they can do to help, she is in trouble purely for being British, not for actually committing a crime it would seem!
And, lest we forget, friggin **tortured**.

Mad that this is even a talking point.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Is Britain perfect? No, but then it never has been and never could be, and nor could any other country. On balance, Britain is one of the best places in the entire world to be part of. History, Healthcare, Welfare, Justice, Economy, Socially progressive (mostly), working conditions...the list goes on.

Just to give one example, I had COVID back in April. I managed to weather it at home mostly, but had a worrying 24hrs where I was blue-lighted to hospital for a few hours of observations. Didn't cost me a penny and I never had second thoughts about using the service.

A friend of mine in Jacksonville, Florida is just getting over the virus, so far it has cost her over $2,000. That's without being admitted to hospital, it's all been consultations and medicine fees.

I know which side my bread is buttered.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Brits continue to make their presence felt abroad in all the wrong ways:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55471235

vandal

Post by vandal »

Meanwhile at home, rich Brits are trying to buy their way up the vaccination queue.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thes ... -skip/amp/

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

vandal wrote:
Tue 29 Dec 2020, 11:46 am
Meanwhile at home, rich Brits are trying to buy their way up the vaccination queue.

This forum is better than this surely? Using a story from the Sun (even if they have just regurgitated a Sunday Times story verbatim) is never a good way to make a point.

The article quotes one doctor who manages to get a free plug for his private practice into the bargain who says that despite being offered money he can't supply the vaccine because its only available on the NHS. For free. Prioritised to those who need it most. For free.

It actually makes me feel more proud to be British than I did before I read it.

vandal

Post by vandal »

starbuck wrote:
Tue 29 Dec 2020, 12:29 pm
vandal wrote:
Tue 29 Dec 2020, 11:46 am

This forum is better than this surely? Using a story from the Sun (even if they have just regurgitated a Sunday Times story verbatim) is never a good way to make a point.

The article quotes one doctor who manages to get a free plug for his private practice into the bargain who says that despite being offered money he can't supply the vaccine because its only available on the NHS. For free. Prioritised to those who need it most. For free.

It actually makes me feel more proud to be British than I did before I read it.
Regardless of what newspaper carried the story, it's still sorry reading.

It's not about the jab being free - or the most vulnerable being the first in line to get it - it's those, or some of those with money that think they can buy whatever they want. Shame all that disposable income couldn't buy them a conscience.

Victor77

Post by Victor77 »

I'm proud to be British think of the Empire! The inventions over the centuries eg the iron age, jet engine the Lancaster Spitfire Vulcan! For a small Island that's some going!!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Scientist on R4 this morning saying that not only is the UK the leading country in analysing virus mutation but is becoming (his words) the binoculars of the world in working out what is happening down the road. That's something to be proud of.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired."

If forum members were "closely associated" with the development of the Vulcan, Spitfire, the jet engine etc then fair enough but personally, I had nothing to do with any of these so have zero pride. (I also had nothing to do with choosing my location of birth, I would be surprised if any of us did?) The definition has been over-stretched to include nations with populations of millions with no close association. Proud to be.....(fill in any Country), it just makes no sense at all. It's as arbitary as proud to have blue eyes or proud to be over/under 5ft 8. They are arbitary facts that we have no control over.

PS to be fair, some people who have travelled to GB and made great efforts personally to achieve that status as British should be proud of their own individual achievement.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”