NavyWings - News and Updates

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
centaurus18

Re: NavyWings - News and Updates

Post by centaurus18 »

purple_95 wrote:
Sat 04 Jun 2022, 9:15 pm
Another good myth the CAA will never allow a Harrier up, a bit like the CAA will never let a Lightning fly under civilian ownership (XR724 final flight was on the civilian register), and the same was said about civilian operation of the Vulcan and Sea Vixen in the 80s.
The Lightning Flying Club complied with every request the CAA made with regards getting its three airframes in the air, but speaking to one or two of its volunteers getting the final approval was "chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow." The elusive pot kept moving into the next field.

Will the SHAR fly, we'll have to see... back in the 2000s it was thought in classic jet circies that the Hawk was the only military type that would potentially fly in civilian hands - the Jaguar was an outside bet
That being said, I don't know if the (Sea) Harrier was even considered in the discussion!
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

In regards to Harriers, I guess we'll just have to see what happens with the two now on the British civil register.

Also for a very long time people said Lynx wouldn't be able to fly on the civil register, yet here we are!

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Navy Wings has this past week taken delivery of one of its Pegasus 30 engines from overhaul with Retro Track & Air.
It will be fitted to Swordfish I W5856 in due course for the testing phase etc.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

AMB

Post by AMB »

centaurus18 wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:05 am
Navy Wings has this past week taken delivery of one of its Pegasus 30 engines from overhaul with Retro Track & Air.
I didn't realise W5856 was grounded awaiting an engine? What is the current status of LS326 and NF389?
Adrian

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

AMB wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 9:19 pm
centaurus18 wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:05 am
I didn't realise W5856 was grounded awaiting an engine? What is the current status of LS326 and NF389?
LS326 is also awaiting its engine back from overhaul from Retro.
NF389 is sat in bits within a container at Yeovilton - I am not sure how much restoration work was completed at Brough before it was brought back, but it is still in Navy Wings' long-term plans.
Mark

Mike

Post by Mike »

Just curious, how long has it been since RNHF/NW have been ably to reliably field one of their Swordfish for an entire season? I remember a few sporadic appearances over the last decade or so, but not a full season’s worth. Hopefully their new engine contractor will be able to rediscover the seemingly lost art of keeping a Pegasus running reliably.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Mike wrote:
Sun 19 Jun 2022, 10:10 am
Just curious, how long has it been since RNHF/NW have been ably to reliably field one of their Swordfish for an entire season? I remember a few sporadic appearances over the last decade or so, but not a full season’s worth. Hopefully their new engine contractor will be able to rediscover the seemingly lost art of keeping a Pegasus running reliably.
W5856 had a decent crack in 2002 and 03 before being grounded.
LS326 returned in 2008, but not sure how long it lasted.

'5856 came back in new clothes in 2015, started 2016 and was active until 2018 at least.
Mark

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

LS326 I last saw at Dunsfold 2013, was part of a very memorable formation, I dont think its flown since.
Thomas

Archer

Post by Archer »

centaurus18 wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 3:44 pm
'5856 came back in new clothes in 2015, started 2016 and was active until 2018 at least.
I thought I had seen it in 2018, but I was wrong. Photo from East Fortune air show in July 2016:
Swordfish by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I think WS5856 was at the Fly Navy show, Old Warden in 2018.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

https://navywings.org.uk/sea-vixen-sea- ... ouncement/

Sea Vixen will be offered to a private collection or museum whilst the Sea Hawk will be returned to airworthy condition.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Very sad about the Sea Vixen, but not at all surprising.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

A real shame the chance however small it might have been for the Sea Vixen to get back into the air is now all but over, however it will be wonderful if the Sea Hawk gets back into the air, a sensible way forward that cannot have been easy for the team at Yeovilton to decide upon given how much work went on to find a way financially and technically to return both jets to airworthiness.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

I wonder if the trust will keep the Sea Vixen if they do not get a serious offer regarding its restoration. After all the Sea Hawk was kept in storage for many years pending eventual reactivation. It’s a shame that the Sea Vixen doesn’t get more public interest or support given the dearth of airworthy historic jets around these days. It always seemed to be a very popular addition to an air show programme when it did appear. Perhaps Red Bull can be persuaded to reprise their interest in sponsorship!

Mike

Post by Mike »

They’ve said they will dispose of it to a museum or collector if nobody steps forward to fund it in the next month.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Never had the opportunity to visit the Navy Wings hangar at Yeovilton but is space so short that the Sea Vixen must leave ? What about the Phantom, is that still in the same hangar ?

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Tue 21 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm
Never had the opportunity to visit the Navy Wings hangar at Yeovilton but is space so short that the Sea Vixen must leave ? What about the Phantom, is that still in the same hangar ?
The hangar is more than adequate for them to keep the Sea Vixen alongside the other aircraft, unless they are being asked to move back into the previous RNHF building close by, which was somewhat tight on space.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

It was always going to be a mountain to climb to get it in the air again but it's still really disappointing to hear it confirmed. I hope it goes to a good home.

It will be fantastic to see the Sea Hawk again.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I've rather lost track of all the ins and outs of what they're up to. Having sold off the wreck of Fury VX281, have they said what they plan to do with the single-seater VR930?

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Gutted to hear about the Vixen, not at all unexpected but there was always a faint glimmer of hope.
Really leaves little hope for the classic jet scene now aside from the handful we have left, strikemasters, JPs, gnats, vampires and mig 15.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Mike wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 9:40 am
I've rather lost track of all the ins and outs of what they're up to. Having sold off the wreck of Fury VX281, have they said what they plan to do with the single-seater VR930?
As of last year, it was mulling over all three possiblities; restore and fly with Centaurus XVIII, re-engine it with a R3350/2800, or sell it.
Admittedly this was prior to the accident report coming out, and a few months after the loss of 281.
Mark

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 10:16 am
This is fabulous! Although I do wonder how often It’ll be seen at airshows being a float plane, hopefully it can make some static appearances if it can be dismantled easily.