Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Hypersonic" - Andy Evans travelled to the US to visit this hotly anticipated airshow.

Image Image Image

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

A fair review Andy and credit to both of you for the images used to support the report.

I am in the camp of enthusiasts who had bought into the hype ahead of this show and left the event a little disappointed. However, on balance, I am glad I went to this hallowed aviation centre and the memories of my first sonic booms will never be forgotten.

Well done :)
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

verreli

Post by verreli »

This was a show that had so much potential that it was hard not to hype it. That said, while the show was perhaps never going to meet the extreme end of expectation, I think it was scaled back from what was originally planned for some unknown reason. The 'race to mach 1' which was widely advertised was scaled back to a quiet sonic boom demo. NASA aircraft didn't make it. Some aircraft cancelled and replaced with filler acts. There was no ACC / solo jet demo. Even the role demo put on by the based aircraft didn't really fit with the base purpose of test and felt like a safe high altitude demo thrown together at the last minute. We'll never know what it could have been.

Am I pleased I attended. Yes and on both days. Sonic booms are not common. To get on board SOFIA then see it fly was unique, especially with the cover open. It was the first NASA liveried jet I've seen. Some of the static's were very rare. To drive on the lake bed where space shuttles have landed was unique. All that and it was the location of aviation history on a significant anniversary. The flying display was poor and easily beaten by Huntington beach airshow two weeks before but in years to come I'm likely to remember my trip to Edwards more.

p.s. sorry for hyping it a bit too much and Andy, good report.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Somewhat late but thanks for the review Andy - a pretty good report with which I would agree. There was some unique items there and for the first time Edwards visitor driving through the desert in the dark and watching the sunrise over the base was certainly an added highlight. A shout for the Thunderbirds who were magnificent and to the NASA team particularly for the sonic booms.