Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
spellow3010

Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by spellow3010 »

I had been quietly 'wishing' for a Nighthawk appearance at the show as a result of some of their recent activities so hopefully that will materialise in the sky, or if not in the static. Never seen the Sofia, so if that is still a possibility (I think their actual missions ended recently didn't they?) then that would be a proper bonus.

So much to look forward to at Edwards as a first time visitor there. Anything 'unexpected' would be icing on my cake.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Whatever we get, it should be a good show :-)

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

The website is updated now to include the flying DC-8 and some more statics.

I’m not getting my hopes up for a Nighthawk but B-2 seems conspicuous by its absence.

Whatever we get it’s going to be an interesting show!

verreli

Post by verreli »

A-10,Superbug and NG Firebird on static. Another interesting addition.
I too thought the absence of the B-2 was unusual due to there being a based aircraft. Time will tell if it makes an appearance.
Also, the 'more to follow' logo has been removed so this may be all the planned announcements.

I'll be on the sidewinder low level route on the Thursday before the show so fingers crossed some of the statics drop in.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 7:07 am
I had been quietly 'wishing' for a Nighthawk appearance at the show as a result of some of their recent activities so hopefully that will materialise in the sky, or if not in the static. Never seen the Sofia, so if that is still a possibility (I think their actual missions ended recently didn't they?) then that would be a proper bonus.

So much to look forward to at Edwards as a first time visitor there. Anything 'unexpected' would be icing on my cake.
I'd suggest taking a camera in the car out of its case and turned on.
as you drive in, there are some aircraft on poles you pass on the way in, plus, if you go in and out via the Lancaster entrance you pass the museum, and on the way out everyone stops to take a dozen or so pics.

Also, dont forget the snoopy B-58 about 200yds off the road that goes around the bottom of the base (not a base road), as its one to chalk off too ;-)
Got to love Russianhardware

Berf

Post by Berf »

verreli wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 2:30 pm
I too thought the absence of the B-2 was unusual due to there being a based aircraft. Time will tell if it makes an appearance.
There's one on the latest promo video :grinning:

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 6:35 pm
spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 7:07 am

I'd suggest taking a camera in the car out of its case and turned on.
as you drive in, there are some aircraft on poles you pass on the way in, plus, if you go in and out via the Lancaster entrance you pass the museum, and on the way out everyone stops to take a dozen or so pics.

Also, dont forget the snoopy B-58 about 200yds off the road that goes around the bottom of the base (not a base road), as its one to chalk off too ;-)
Good info, thanks for the tip HD :)
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There is Century Circle on the Lancaster road too, it's open to the public just before the pass house....

They're in the process of moving the museum from it's location inside the perimeter to Century Circle so that it can open to the public, I'm not sure if the building will be ready in time.

It's got a few gems including the sole surviving A-10B (two-seater) and the surviving YF-22.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

There was a base townhall Q&A for residents last night covering a lot of the planning for the show, available on You Tube:

Public access for Sat/Sun via North Gate (2 lanes) and West Gate (3 Lanes) to lakebed parking sites from where visitors will get a shuttle bus to the public areas. They are expecting it to be very busy.

Screenshot of layout below, a bit fuzzy hopefully they will publish more on the website:

ImageAVAS screenshot by Aquila427, on Flickr

Photography of anything flying looks like it is going to be a challenge!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I've been on Edwards a few times, getting through the base to those parking lots from West Gate will be interesting!!!!

Looks like the access roads are via the C-17 Ramp and down the side of the F-35 compound, then on to the taxiway up towards the NASA/F-22 and B-21 compounds before turning on to the lake bed.

verreli

Post by verreli »

The layout plan was an early draft from 2 months ago but did I spot an SR-71? Nothing stealth shaped though.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There's one outside the museum, perhaps dragging them over for the show.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Who would have thought I would go to Edwards to see a Mig 29!

BREAKING: The iconic MiG-29 will be flying at the 2022 #AvAirshow, October 15-16!
This rare aircraft joins our already stacked lineup of modern fighter aircraft, heavies, bombers, and world-class civilian performers.

verreli

Post by verreli »

:grinning: Saw some pics of it from the Oshkosh thread. Delighted it will be at Edwards.

Also, the T33 display at Huntington and Fleet Week is confirmed a pairs display so a good chance it will be two T33s for Edwards too.

1 month to go...

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Berf wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 6:44 pm
Who would have thought I would go to Edwards to see a Mig 29!

BREAKING: The iconic MiG-29 will be flying at the 2022 #AvAirshow, October 15-16!
This rare aircraft joins our already stacked lineup of modern fighter aircraft, heavies, bombers, and world-class civilian performers.
Noice. Looking forward to seeing this.

verreli

Post by verreli »

The local media are reporting a daily attendance of between 30k - 100k. Quite a range but also that the max capacity is 50k. i.e. if it's anywhere near the upper range there will be quite a few disappointed people. Get there early! Gates open at 08:30 but my guess is there'll be quite a queue waiting to get in come opening time.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

verreli wrote:
Sat 17 Sep 2022, 6:33 am
The local media are reporting a daily attendance of between 30k - 100k. Quite a range but also that the max capacity is 50k. i.e. if it's anywhere near the upper range there will be quite a few disappointed people. Get there early! Gates open at 08:30 but my guess is there'll be quite a queue waiting to get in come opening time.
Thanks for the heads up. Driving over from Vegas so sounds like an early start!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I’ve relocated hotels to Mojave to use the North Gate - getting across from West Gate is going to be carnage.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I'm in California City so also using the North Gate. Heading for Santa Maria as soon I can get out Edwards on Saturday - well that's today's plan...

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Capitulated and booked some last minute flights…anyone else planning to do some low level in the sidewinder the week before?

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Mictheslik wrote:
Sat 17 Sep 2022, 3:07 pm
Capitulated and booked some last minute flights…anyone else planning to do some low level in the sidewinder the week before?
I'll be doing the Sidewinder on Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday. I hear the Mig 29 is planning a LL run on the Wednesday...

p.s. The Mig comment is a complete fabrication but one can hope !

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

verreli wrote:
Sat 17 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm
Mictheslik wrote:
Sat 17 Sep 2022, 3:07 pm
I'll be doing the Sidewinder on Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday. I hear the Mig 29 is planning a LL run on the Wednesday...

p.s. The Mig comment is a complete fabrication but one can hope !
I might see you there depending on the location you chose. I’m doing the whole week (minus Monday for Columbus Day) and hoping to scout out some spots on the western side of the valley, but they could be a long walk!

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Mictheslik wrote:
Sat 17 Sep 2022, 7:55 pm
I might see you there depending on the location you chose. I’m doing the whole week (minus Monday for Columbus Day) and hoping to scout out some spots on the western side of the valley, but they could be a long walk!
You never know. Wednesday I'll be at Peppermint and Thursday Needles. Either way, best of luck - although that may be more than a little self serving. At the very least I would expect Lemoore Superbugs and I haven't see one of them low for 3 years now.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Peppermint? 😮

verreli

Post by verreli »

Mike wrote:
Sun 18 Sep 2022, 8:45 am
Peppermint? 😮
It's a location on the Sidewinder low level route near Peppermint Campground.