Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by Tangoringo »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 13 Oct 2022, 11:52 pm
Tangoringo wrote:
Thu 13 Oct 2022, 4:05 pm
B2 still mentioned on the Aerospace Valley challenge coin. :shushing_face:

https://twitter.com/jodikyman/status/15 ... GOr34xpVsA
That's just a list of all the types the base is currently the test location for.

You can now add the T-7 and B-21 to that list.
Probably true…it was specific to the Airshow though ( and I appreciate this is clutching at straws!)

MichaelSk47

Post by MichaelSk47 »

Interesting few hours at Mojave yesterday. Called into the Voyager restaurant for lunch and saw the Raytheon DC-9 departing with a nice trail of black smoke. Overhead, something was flying around at 5,000 ft but showing as “blocked” on FR24. I finally got a shot of it overhead and it turned out to be the Northrop Firebird N326JG that appeared at RIAT 2019. It’s listed for Edwards.
After an hour or slightly more, the DC-9 returned and did a couple of touch and goes before landing and shortly after that, an F/A-18F of VX-9 “Vampires” called in for fuel. No idea of serial but 250 on nose.
Pictures not good as heat haze brutal!

MichaelSk47

Post by MichaelSk47 »

Also on the ramp at Mojave was a strange looking small jet with a V tail. Looking out across the airfield from the Voyager restaurant, it was a few hundred yards to the left. I have now had a chance to do some further research and believe it was a Scaled Composites Model 401 Sierra.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

From memory this is the static list seen today...

F/A-18F - VX-9
F-35C - VX-9
F-35B - 17Sqn
F-35A - AF1
F-22A
F-16C
F-16C Thunderbird
F-16XL
F-16D
F-16 VISTA (X whatever it is now)
KC-10A
KC-46
KC-135
B-1B
B-52
Northrop Firebird
Northrop Stargazer (Tristar)
SR-71
Darkstar Mockup
A330MRTT - RAAF
P-51D
C-47
US Navy warbird (can't remember type, tired)
Squirrel - CHP
Bell 212/412 - Sherrif
Gulfstream 3 - NASA
F/A-18 Hornet - NASA
T-34 - NASA
Forgot Type - NASA
T-38
C-12

Mike

Post by Mike »

No SOFIA?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Might land today, yesterday it performed two flypasts…. One low and fast, the other curved with the rear bay doors open.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

SOFIA as mentioned did a couple of flypasts prior to the display and is now open ( with a big queue ) to go and have a nosey.
Highlights so far a good airfield attack sequence with B1 ( nice roll at the end ) F22/35 and two F16’s along with a 135 and C17, 3 sonic booms, Some top Aeros from Rob Holland and a jet glider display to name but a few.
A beautiful Firefly in the static and US navy B25 as well as an Aussie 330.
No B52/KC46 or DC8 in the flying tho’.
Brilliant day in such a historic location.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Hmmm. Maybe my anticipation for this show was a notch or two too high. It was an ok show but not the best one I've been to on this holiday. I found the show a bit distant and high. Sofia was the undoubted highlight. There were no surprises unless you count expected items not displaying (the ER2 and B52 were in the programme they were giving out). Shame the NASA F18 wasn't a NASA jet. There were plenty parked up on site. Nice to see the F15 but why didn't it do a proper beat up? The SR71 and Darkstar juxtaposition was quite nice. The light was a challenge and it was HOT. Only a 5/10 for me, mind you, it was Edwards so worth going. I had planned to go tomorrow too but now I'm in two minds.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I think the F18 was a recently acquired NASA jet as it had an N reg.

I agree though, a decent show but maybe not up to the hype.
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Mictheslik wrote:
Sun 16 Oct 2022, 1:45 am
I think the F18 was a recently acquired NASA jet as it had an N reg.
I'm a bit loose with my language. I meant a jet marked with a NASA logo like the one on static. I believe you're right - the jet is operated by NASA. If I recall, it's a former USN 100 anniversary of naval aviation special??? I also guess NASA got any low hours airframes when the Navy swiched to the Super Bug.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Review coming soon (TM). The airfield attack today was better than Friday, although it was quite clear one of the F-35's had gone tech with the F-22 filling in as wingman haha.
Friday, the sequence had used the KC-46, not sure why a KC-135 was used today. I believe the B-52 was tech too as they were working on it all Friday, the B-2 was in the hangar having some modifications/upgrades installed so was not available.

NASA were easily the stars of the show, I found the quiet sonic boom demonstration fascinating.

It was silly hot today and fluids were far too expensive ($3 for water), but apparently Santa Maria was fogged in, just got to my hotel nearby so hopefully not the case tomorrow!

p.s. Yes, the test F-18D's from the USN have been transferred to NASA, there were two on the flightline including the Salty Dogs special which was used for the sonic boom demo.

verreli

Post by verreli »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 16 Oct 2022, 2:37 am
NASA were easily the stars of the show, I found the quiet sonic boom demonstration fascinating.
Me too. It's quite noticeable how the flight profile and environment affect the noise. I heard a Typhoon boom from a cul-de-sac in the UK and the noise was noticeably bigger than heard today with higher amplitude and the second boom being larger than the first. Initially I thought there had been a gas explosion in the next street. I also noticed a difference between the show opening boom and the first NASA boom. Did anyone catch which aircraft opened the show? F22? The two descending lower amplitude booms are impractical for everyday operations but do show how modifying the shock profile can cause a noticeable human factors effect. i.e. if they can get the X-59 to create a boom with a similar profile they may be onto something.

Good luck with Santa Maria, the coastal weather profile has been unusual for a few weeks now with Fleet Week last weekend effectively written off.

p.s. Salty Dogs it is. I knew someone on here would know what it was.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Anyone know what time the car park opens at Santa Maria?

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Last edited by Tangoringo on Sun 16 Oct 2022, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Look forward to the review Andy. Agree with the NASA comments from yourself and verreli, really interesting stuff and the opening ceremony boom did seem a lot louder.
Shame about the tech items and they couldn’t entice the stratolauncher over from Mojave. Ref the water, to be fair to the organisers there were free water refills from bowsers located around the area.
All in all a really good show for me ( my first US show since Salinas in the early 90’s) with a good mix of flying …. and it was free. Parking on Rogers Lake and the sonic boom demo’s really brought home the history of that airfield. Really do need ear plugs for the T-birds commentary though. 🤣
As a ps think we may have been fortunate with the weather as on the drive back to Vegas there were multiple t-storms with lots of heavy rain and as you say the coast was clagged in.
Wherever you chaps go tmrw…enjoy.
Last edited by Tangoringo on Tue 18 Oct 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roger

Post by roger »

We (my son and I) did Edwards Saturday, and Santa Maria Sunday. Enjoyed both, but Edwards perhaps didn't quite live up to the high expectations we had, and Santa Maria exceeded expectations and if anything was the more enjoyable show.

SM weather was overcast until early-afternoon when it suddenly cleared to mostly blue skies. Good military participation, with 7 x F-35 attending (4 x As, 2 x Bs and 1 x C, 1 A on static, rest on the flight line), C-17 demo, C-130J (static), F-5N (static), 2 x Texan II (static), 2 x T-34C (static), 3 x F/A-18F (1 static, 2 flightline), 2 x F-16 (static), plus lots of Planes of Fame airframes from Chino (including 2 x P-38 Lightning). Both the Navy and Air Force heritage flights were very special.

Glad we did one day at each, rather than doing Edwards both days.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Yes. What Roger said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

My partner and I discussed the weekend over a very nice dinner last night, she loves a good airshow but doesn’t recognise everything, I’m a life-long av geek but don’t pretend to recognise everything either!

Edwards - great to be on hallowed ground, well organised, a few bits missing from static but compensated by additional items. The airshow was a bit slow, they obviously had issues with serviceability and could have improved the show by dropping some of the non military performers except for the Stearman, Texan and T-33 which were good and part of the USAF anniversary theme. The lack of USAF demo team participation was a shame. Highlights were the B-1 attack with pyrotechnics, AAR flypast, NASA flypasts, Thunderbirds display which we rated third after the Koreans and Frecce overall this year, and of course the sonic booms. The first booms from the USAF assets were poignant and the later NASA ones very interesting in terms of experiencing the harsh crack in level flight compared with the softer thump in a dive. In terms of sound propagation the engine noise from the F-15 at altitude was negligible but the boom was enough to make me jump like someone firing a shotgun nearby and the associated pressure wave was significant. The only thing that bugged us was getting hassled to leave at 1600 hrs so no time to enjoy anything on the ground after the show. They basically delivered what they said they would, and we didn’t have raised expectations about surprise aircraft showing up, but the show felt a bit flat and we thought they could have done more with the flying.

Santa Maria was excellent, even without the Snowbirds, ANG flypasts and Hawkeye it was a great show with a relaxed friendly vibe and and well supported by the military demo teams and Planes of Fame. The non military performers were also very good. We drove straight in at 0930, no queues, great statics, and got a spot at the fence on crowdline central under the wing of an F-18. It was very well executed and greatly exceeded all expectations.

Off to Santa Barbara for breakfast and a dip in the Pacific now before flying back at 2200 tonight. Well worth a trip to the States!

roger

Post by roger »

Yes, what Roger_Over said! And we couldn't have been more than 10 yards from you, as we were on the fenceline just behind the F-18 tailplane!

Off to Point Mugu, then Santa Monica before going to Sofi Stadium this evening to watch the Chargers vs Broncos NFL game, then home tomorrow!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Roger, were you and your son at the Point Mugu missile park at around 12:30 today by any chance?

There were two cars in the car park, both with a pair of men in them. One sounded the french, the others were english.

I was the fat guy that rocked up in the SUV that stayed all of 10 minutes until they realised they were running late for their flight :sweat_smile:

Both rogers - did we get in the way much at Santa Maria? I was one of the berks in high-viz in front of everyone in the little enclosure by the F-35C, right in front of you lol

Andy

verreli

Post by verreli »

Decided to go to Edwards on the Sunday. It was a much more relaxed affair. The crowd was c.70% of Saturday, the temperature was lower. I walked straight onto Sofia in the morning and it flew out of Edwards later in the day as its last operational flight. Went back to the car for the Thunderbirds so I could listen in on the scanner and hit the road immediately after the display. Back to the UK now for rain, wind and cold.

roger

Post by roger »

boff180 wrote:
Mon 17 Oct 2022, 11:14 pm
Roger, were you and your son at the Point Mugu missile park at around 12:30 today by any chance?

There were two cars in the car park, both with a pair of men in them. One sounded the french, the others were english.

I was the fat guy that rocked up in the SUV that stayed all of 10 minutes until they realised they were running late for their flight :sweat_smile:

Both rogers - did we get in the way much at Santa Maria? I was one of the berks in high-viz in front of everyone in the little enclosure by the F-35C, right in front of you lol

Andy
Andy - yes, we were the English pair! We left at 1, after just over an hour at the missile park, and not a single movement. And with the heat-haze, we could only read off one Herc! And no, no problem with the high-viz folks at SM.

Just got back to the hotel, after watching the Chargers win in overtime - magic! BAW282 at 15:45 tomorrow is our ride home.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Enjoyed my first visit to Edwards for this airshow... fantastic to be on such a historically significant aviation enclave. I think, like others have said, my aniticipation bought into the pre-show hype and overall it didn't quite live up to all of the expectations. Getting my retinas burned out to spot the parachutists (encouraged by the commentator to LOOK UP INTO THE SKY) descending from the C-17 didn't help as an example.

Photography in the air and on the ground was quite a challenge, but I came away with some nice shots. Really disappointed that the ER2 and DC-8 never made it, even on static (or did I miss them?). Stocked up on patches... Enjoyed my first sonic booms!

Unless I'm lucky enough to gain a base visit, I am not sure I will rush back to an airshow here in the future. But then again... they don't happen all that regularly so could well be seduced to have another go in a future year.

Loved the VX-9 Super Hornet :) And it was nice to see the Dark Star mock up/prop. Still loving the whole Maverick thing.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

For those that missed out at the show, the challenge coins are back on sale in very limited numbers. Not exactly cheap.
https://flight-test-museum.myshopify.c ... 8WCneD3teM