Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
verreli

Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by verreli »

14-16 October 2022 (3 days) - Aerospace Valley Airshow
near Mojave - north of Los Angeles

2x anniversaries
75th anniversary of breaking the sound barrier on 14 October 1947 celebrated at the Friday show
75th anniversary USAF (18 September 1947)

Currently only the Thunderbirds are listed as attending and then, only on the Saturday and Sunday. So what could attend and be seen flying, especially rare gems?

The F-117 is active and flies in the area.
The next gen F15ex could put on a full display
NASA aircraft including the F18 operate from Edwards
The B-21 has its first flight that year.
The NGAD fighter is already flying in secret. Is this the time to reveal it?
Could an airshow sonic boom be heard on the Friday?
The USAF is the largest in the world by some margin - could they mark it with a massed flypast?

In addition, the current demo performers have space that weekend (except F35) F22, F16, A10, C17 and the B1, B2 and B52 are all flyby regulars.

Mike

Re: Edwards AFB Airshow 2022

Post by Mike »

I wonder if it will actually happen this time. I went in 2009, and I think every one announced since then has ended up being cancelled for one reason or another.

verreli

Post by verreli »

It's anyone's guess but irrespective of any theoretical aircraft attendance, I'd go just to visit the location where aviation history was made. My guess is it will go ahead given the historic significance. Even if it doesn't, fleet week is the previous weekend so I'm planning a holiday around that week as a hedge.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Planning on being there... Covid malfeasance notwithstanding.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hell or high water I have my flights and hire car booked and paid for!

Just waiting to closer to the time to book Hotels.etc.

The show website is now live, not much info yet.

https://avairshow.com/

Berf

Post by Berf »

Not sure I would choose this one over Aviation Nation at Nellis... which has the best photography possibilities? ( I don't mean aircraft as obviously we don't know that yet)

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The orientation of the showground is the same at both events, so photography in the air will be similar.

Nellis you know more what you are going to get which is typically a bog standard US airshow with a set-piece from the home team. IIRC the last show too there were issues with taking large lenses on the airfield too with people being turned away.

Edwards shows are much rarer and tend to include participation from the home team too, usually a mass fly-by of all types on base which can be interesting. Right now that is F-16, F-15, F-22, B-1B, B-52, B-2, C-17, KC-135, KC-46, C-130, F-35 (both British and US), and the outside possibility of the B-21 flying or static debut. That's ignoring any X-planes on base and the NASA contribution too.

The lack of ACC support is concerning but it is early days and we don't know what else will appear. Is there a risk taking this over Nellis? Yes, but it's also something different from the "usual" US shows international visitors attend.

Mike

Post by Mike »

There were also unusual types at the last Edwards show, like White Knights 1 and 2, and the canard-equipped F-15 and the F-16XL on static.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks for the information - if I get to go I think Fleet Week may well swing it.

verreli

Post by verreli »

The show website is only listing Saturday and Sunday as show days. Has anyone heard anything about Friday - which is anniversary day - or has this been dropped?

Mike

Post by Mike »

They usually have a media day the day before the main show

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

verreli wrote:
Mon 20 Dec 2021, 11:02 am
The show website is only listing Saturday and Sunday as show days. Has anyone heard anything about Friday - which is anniversary day - or has this been dropped?
I'm expecting this to be invitee/media only.

The X-1 mounting pit is South side which will put it under the display show days - it's also in what is now the most secure area of the base.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Thanks both. Must admit to being a bit disappointed they might not publicly mark the anniversary on the date, especially when there's a full show the day after. Other sites listed it as a three day show which set my imagination running. Looks like a second day on the sidewinder may be on the cards.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 19 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm
The orientation of the showground is the same at both events, so photography in the air will be similar.

Nellis you know more what you are going to get which is typically a bog standard US airshow with a set-piece from the home team. IIRC the last show too there were issues with taking large lenses on the airfield too with people being turned away.

Edwards shows are much rarer and tend to include participation from the home team too, usually a mass fly-by of all types on base which can be interesting. Right now that is F-16, F-15, F-22, B-1B, B-52, B-2, C-17, KC-135, KC-46, C-130, F-35 (both British and US), and the outside possibility of the B-21 flying or static debut. That's ignoring any X-planes on base and the NASA contribution too.

The lack of ACC support is concerning but it is early days and we don't know what else will appear. Is there a risk taking this over Nellis? Yes, but it's also something different from the "usual" US shows international visitors attend.
Andy,
a lot of the stuff you have written here partially explains my reasoning for putting my eggs in this basket. Unfortunately, I can't do both Edwards and Nellis with the available time I have, so I went for what I thought was the 'exotic' given it's reputation and resources.

I think the trip I am on were hoping that the still unknown 'Friday' would be a public flying day too - especially with the sonic boom jingoism and pomp anniversary. However, if it's not to be, I guess we'll go camp at El Centro or somewhere instead for the day. Maybe the San Diego harbour tour!

Berf

Post by Berf »

IF anyone is interested in coins the website was updated with this on 4 Jan https://avairshow.com/store/buy-2022-ae ... ley-coins/
I think there are a few collectors here maybe Boff...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Planes of Fame seems to be 22-23 October - the week after - so I would probably do Edwards/Chino.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Does anyone know if both North and West gates are used for the airshow?
Thanks

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I would hope both North and South gates would be in use, there is also a chance that East gate will be used after the flying display too, this is the closest gate to Lancaster/Palmdale and you get to drive out over the lakebed past the test range.

Andy

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks Andy I have booked to stay in California City so that should be OK.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Took a gamble and ordered the wonderfully shaped coin. Thanks Berf.

Berf

Post by Berf »

No problem :slight_smile:

verreli

Post by verreli »

For those considering going to Edwards, how are you finding the flight and car hire prices? I've been monitoring since before xmas and flights seem to be 50% more than pre-pandemic and car hire about 100% more adding c.£700 to the holiday cost. LAX seems to be the best airport to fly to from the UK from a cost prspective. Prices seem to be going up too.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I have booked everything. All through BA which is unusual for me. The car for example was upwards of 1000 (for what I wanted) if booked on its own but with flights 400. None of it is cheap. I feel that with 'the world opening up' there are going to be shortages (certainly of cars) and nothing is going to get cheaper. All the accommodation can be cancelled anyway if better deals come up but for example there is limited hotel rooms around Edwards. Sure you can drive further but I don't really want to. I am flying into LAX - watch some aircraft there and go to a few other museums - then Edwards - Las Vegas (Nellis obviously not the show) then loop around to Palm Springs museum and back to Chino for the next weekend show assuming it happens.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Thanks Berf. I can't remember a time when I've not booked everything independently so I'd overlooked the obvious fly-drive package. I'll be chalking up the miles in the hire car (like usual). In addition to Edwards I plan on attending Fleetweek and have one or two days in the Sidewinder (depends if they do anything at Edwards on the Sound Barrier anniversary). I'll be going no matter what the price, but if I can save a few £ on travel, can spend the difference on better things when I get there. Heading over to the BA site now...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Yes I had never done a package fly drive before but thought I would test the difference as the car hire was so high - worked out for once. Having said that I am doing multiple city stops and could have done it a bit cheaper with Finnair (I don't live in the Uk) but there was some tight connections and no back up flights. One thing about BA - I tested the cost booking through BA Holidays and BA - although the platform ends up looking the same I get a marginally better price through BA Holidays. I am also registered with BA but when I logged in and checked the the price it was over 300 more expensive. I also cleared caches and history etc and used a VPN - this often brings different pricing but it did not change anything this time. Looks like you will get the Snowbirds for Fleet Week - would have been nice for them to be at Edwards but they seem to be a few miles away at Santa Maria.