Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Daz

Re: Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Post by Daz »

Another vote for overall Grey too! At least it would be easier to maintain.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

ashenden92

Post by ashenden92 »

I would prefer her back in gloss grey as she wore towards the end of her RAF Flying career - should be easier to cosmetically maintain I would have thought

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Post-VOC regulations I would suggest a cautionary note regarding dark sea grey, the modern paint quality is quite poor and it fades rather too quickly!

Also, note to Rich I have messaged you over your kind assistance on the jacking head drawings!
(Addendum - thanks for the call Rich; much appreciated!)
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi all,

Not much to report yet, the team have been in a couple of times but its more to sort out some new kit than get stuck into '63 so far; butshe will be the focus again shortly. We've a 40ft container been delivered that is rapidly getting kitted out and becoming our new workshop - so we can get stuck into pulling some parts off for corrosion work over the course of the coming year (such as flaps and undercarriage doors) and also a place we can refurbish other components out of the weather.

Dates so far for events are - 5 Feb for a meeting of the "Friends of WR963" supporters group, then 19 Mar for the first public engine run up of the season.

All being well we're going to try to smash through the snag list so we can taxy some time in May..

Regards,

Rich

NAM Updater (Howard) - No worries, we're still trying to track anything more than the GA's. Loads of MR2 stuff coming up, very little MR3 so far.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

Cole

Post by Cole »

Any plans for WR963 to move when coventry gets flattened? Or is a home at the museum likely? :disappointed_relieved:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

JonMann

Post by JonMann »

Cole wrote:
Sat 19 Feb 2022, 6:28 pm
Any plans for WR963 to move when coventry gets flattened? Or is a home at the museum likely? :disappointed_relieved:
If you go back a page and read part of post 191, Rich does mention that they are looking at two potential new homes away from Coventry.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi chaps,

Yes, that is still the case, we will be moving WR963. We're sadly leaving Coventry, the history of Armstring Whitworth and the link to Lancasters built there entirely.

I've a meeting this coming week to discuss the logistocs of the move with our chosen engineers, and as soon as I get the nod from our intended new home I'll reveal it. Naturally, I can't let it be known without them giving their approval, as likely they'll get a flood of enquiries too..

There's not been much work going on with WR963 the last few weeks due to atrocious weather, but we're hoping to be in next weekend if it behaves a little.

Regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

All the best for a positive outcome Rich, this 963 fan is cheering you and the team on!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi all,

Its well past time I updated this thread, so I thought we'd bring everyone up to speed on whats happened over the past few months. In honesty - its been a bit of a roller coaster, with WR963 going unserviceable after a very difficult public run up. We were already down one engine, with a coolant leak in evidence on #4 engine at the end of the night runs. The March run saw us battling an overheating #3 engine, a bad misfire developing on #2, and #1 starting to return to its old stubborn refusal to start properly. We had a cracking attendance though, making things harder.

We took the difficult decision to cancel further run ups going forward, as while WR963 was giving her all, she was definitely not at her best and needed us to hit the spanners. Although we'd take a financial hit due to reduced income from paying visitors, we couldn't risk pushing the aircraft further - to do so would risk unsafe operating condition and also cause significant damage.

Work started on #4 to track down the coolant leak. It was located up behind the exhaust heat shields and we're not yet 100% sure if its a weeping core plug or if something worse lurks in there. As well as locating the issue, we've got to work on several other areas of the system to remove all weak points and maintain 40psi pressure maximum. This will be pressure tested once the work is complete!

First up was a battle with the exhaust. The tailpipe, yoke, and manifold all have to come off.

A closer look up where the leak is coming from - right between these two stub pipes.

Phil Cain and Louis after a heavy day fighting with decades old exhaust parts. They did not want to yield, but persistance (and big hammers) won.

With work on #4 stalled while we wait on tooling, #3 became the focus as its the most sick of the other three engines. Its usually an easy engine to start, and runs well though has suffered in the past from cam wear. It also takes the brunt of the work as its the first engine to start and next to last shut down.

Job number one is to get all the cowlings off, apart from the intake and radiator shutters.

All placed in front of the aircraft to keep them safely out the way. It stops them getting damaged by accident, or tripping up over them.

Oil filters first, including constant speed unit filter. The scavenge filter is up here at the back, and the propeller's CSU filter is over the other side.

Filter mesh - lots of gunge and a bit of debris. Once we'd had it through the strainer there was very little metal, but quite a bit of carbon deposit - something we'd also found in the breather catch tanks a short while ago. It did clean up nicely though, so thats one down three engines to go.

Next up is the magneto. No issues here, so its a clean of the lid to remove any tarnishing, check the two sets of points for the correct gap and close it up again.

The coolant header tank blanking plate isn't great, so we'll swap the good one off #4 while we fix this one. We also changed the hoses out so we don't get another blown one.

On to the radiators. We were now in a position to run #3 engine again, so we could get the coolant flush in. Part of the overheating has been silt or crystallised coolant in them, so a suitable automtive flush was added in large quantities, and we ran the engine up.

On shutting down we checked for cold spots on both the large and small radiator, then opened the drains and repeated the process.

First coolant flush - look at that horrid colour!

Slowly the cool spots on the radiators disappeared, and the coolant temperature gauge started resting on a more normal reading rather than wrapping its needle around the top of the scale.

Its starting to look like an engine again... but its hard work.

Here's our tame armourer getting interested when we told him there's up to 2750 explosions per minute in there.

But as ever there's something amiss. During the #3 engine run up - its running nice, but don't sound quite right.. and its getting louder. A closer inspection revealed a cracked/failed exhaust stub, right around teh flange where it bolts up to the engine.

Off to the big box of exhaust parts... again. To find the only spares left are all the wrong side. D'oh!

So we're back into pulling exhausts off, but this time its #3.

Its also still blowing off coolant and not holding pressure. We pulled the relief valve off the header tank, and all was revealed. More soldified coolant and corrosion.

The valve then decided to crumble away faster than a 3,000 year old Egyptian dead dude.

Fortunately we managed to aquire a brand new one, so that was fitted and #3 now holds 40psi pressure!

Stay tuned, Part 2 inbound.

Rich W
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

The sad fact is that a lot of the time we face an uphill battle with the elements and infrequent maintenance we can give WR963. That she runs so well, or at all, is a bit of a phenomenon we sometimes wonder at. The aircraft and her Griffons really were built to last, and they battle on with what we can give them.

The other thing that leaves me full of wonder, is the spirit of the team and the wider community that all pull toward getting this old Shackleton fit again, as you've seen we have had guest appearances from Graham and Trish at YAM, and others that just want to help out. The inter team banter, such as Foxy Dave's flying lesson.

The donations keep coming. Parts coming from Holland, the USA.. all over the globe. The Trenchard Museum donating the original equipment Shackleton CG calculator, a fantastic and a wonderful addition to our nav kit. SilMid, supplying our oil, generous as ever.

Then whenever I'm having a real down moment, things like this happen.

When my boy, the smallest member of the team, puts such a big effort into helping - we can't lose. We will fix WR963.

It reminds me, a long time ago, when I got told "A few months at best and it won't be running - be it manpower, money... it'll have to come to an end."

We'll see. 13 years and counting...

Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Last up a couple of videos from the #3 run ups. The work on this engine is largely done, its just waiting for an exhaust stub.

#2 is now running sweet, as Graham (Blue_2) showed on his Meteor thread - the bad misfire being nothing more than a magneto issue.

For anybody wanting to visit, we're in next on 28 May, and 4 Jun.

Regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for taking the time to give us such a comprehensive and informative update.

Andy

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Brill update - hats off to all of you for keeping her alive - WELL DONE!

TT

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage »

I don't respond to many posts here, but I have to congratulate the team and job well done, and wish you many many years of success.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

richw_82 wrote:
Wed 18 May 2022, 6:02 pm
An excellent update and to think, by allowing kids to get their hands dirty, could lead to a secure future for '963! :clap:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

skippyscage wrote:
Thu 19 May 2022, 11:35 am
I don't respond to many posts here, but I have to congratulate the team and job well done, and wish you many many years of success.
Thanks Paul.

I have to admit, I still browse your photos of WL790 on her way to retirement, and dearly wish I could get '63 airborne once more. Sadly, it seems ever further away, but keeping her running into the future keeps the dream alive.
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

TonyC wrote:
Thu 19 May 2022, 4:52 pm
An excellent update and to think, by allowing kids to get their hands dirty, could lead to a secure future for '963! :clap:
That's the idea. I've not pushed Charlie into helping, he has decided he wants to accompany me and help where he can. We also have a great bunch of Air Cadets helping out, from 121 (Nuneaton) Sqn ATC.

These young people will be the next generation to take WR963 - and other projects - on, and preserve them well after we're all gone.
Richard Woods
2009 - 2016
2019 -

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

A fantastic update Rich, and it warmed my heart to see Charlie helping out. Wonderful to see!

An excellent summation of less-than-awesome times for this very deserving project. More power to you all!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Unsure if I have seen this confirmed elsewhere on UKAR, Shackleton MR.2 WR963 to be moved by road to YAM next year.

https://www.key.aero/article/yorkshire- ... e=hs_email
Lakes Lightning Collection

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Great to hear that another Shackleton is going to be safe!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

This is a fantastic story well done, it's going to a lovely new home, it will be well looked after and there is already a Nimrod there as well which leads to my question what will happen to the Nimrod at Coventry? Oh one other thing will the Shackleton be kept taxiable like the forementioned Nimrod and of course, the Victor?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Excellent news. Shame to see her move further away from me, but the important part is that she’s being preserved!

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Unknown74 wrote:
Sat 23 Jul 2022, 7:26 am
This is a fantastic story well done, it's going to a lovely new home, it will be well looked after and there is already a Nimrod there as well which leads to my question what will happen to the Nimrod at Coventry? Oh one other thing will the Shackleton be kept taxiable like the forementioned Nimrod and of course, the Victor?
The Nimrod at Coventry has been offered a home at the Cornwall aviation heritage centre, the issue as ever is money as forgive me for stating the obvious but road moving and rebuilding a Nimrod with the intention to ground run it again is going to be far from cheap. When the plan for the Nimrod was first mentioned it got the usual voices on Facebook calling for a one off ferry flight "well the engines start so its fine etc etc" no doubt the same comments that will now be said in relation to the Shackleton despite the owners making it very clear that option is not even on the table.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Great news she's being re homed, good luck with the prep & move
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Another Woodford aircraft at yam. Great news rich. Absolutely amazing news.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!