Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *The Now Building - 01Dec22*

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *The Now Building - 01Dec22*

Post by Pen Pusher »

My visits to London have been few and far between for the last couple of years, due to circumstances beyond my control, so I hope to resume regular visits to London and I shall update this thread as I go along.

Ants On A Train.
Vinegar Yard, St Thomas Street, Bermondsey, London, SE1

Vinegar Yard market, next to London Bridge station, is an old car park now used for pop-up shops and events space with fast food and drink outlets. Perched on top of one of the food outlets is a train carriage art installation, by Joe Rush and the Mutoid Waste Co, with giant red ants crawling over it. Amazing what you can do with a few motorbike fuel tanks and other bits of automotive parts. Vinegar Yard might not be around for much longer as a new office block for the site is going through the planning process.

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 M3
Sony α6500 CSC + Sony E 16-55mm/f2.8 G Lens
Last edited by Pen Pusher on Sun 04 Dec 2022, 2:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Berf

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022

Post by Berf »

Great stuff Brian - if I ever get to London again I will be there weeks photographing it all...

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sunrise Around Tower Bridge ~ 13th January 2022

I reached Tower Wharf, the area between the Tower of London and the Thames, for the sunrise which was at 08.02. The only downside was a horrible haze that was hanging in the air. I thought it was haze but the next day the Government UK Air Website issued a warning forecasting “very high” pollution, ranked ten out of ten for potential harm, for London as the cold still air was trapping traffic and other emissions that are normally dispersed by the wind.

Sony α6500 CSC + Sony E 16-55mm/f2.8 G Lens

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Just a few random shots from my last couple of visits.

Tattershall Castle, built in 1934, a former passenger ferry and now a food and drinks restaurant with the lastminute.com London Eye and former County Hall to the right on the south bank of the Thames.

1959 AEC Routemaster RM 84.

Herring Gull at rest with the Golden Jubilee pedestrian bridges flanking the Hungerford rail bridge in the background.

Scaffolding slowly being taken down from around the Elizabeth Tower.

Shadows on Westminster Bridge. Rude/Not Rude?

Palace of Westminster with Portcullis House, which provides office space for members of parliament and their staff on the other side of Westminster Bridge.

Looking like an advert of mastheads of five newspapers long since out of print it is in fact the Fleet Street Heritage Sundial by Piers Nicholson.

Shot through the window of the Red Lion pub, Parliament Street.

Sony α6500 CSC + Sony E 16-55mm/f2.8 G Lens + Tamron 11-20mm F2.8 Di III-A RXD

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Memorial to Heroic Self Sacrifice, Postman’s Park, City of London.

Postman’s Park is on the site of the former churchyard and burial ground of St Botolph's Aldersgate church and acquired its name due to its popularity as a lunchtime garden with workers from the old General Post Office which is just across the road. It is also the location of the Watts memorial, built in 1900 by Victorian painter and philanthropist GF Watts (1817-1904) and contains 54 plaques, each dedicated to an ordinary person who gave their life in an attempt to save someone else.

Sony α6500 CSC + Tamron 11-20mm F2.8 Di III-A RXD

DfG on Facebook

TJJ

Post by TJJ »

It's an interesting memorial. PC Alfred Smith saved female factory workers in Central Street, Hoxton, during the first Gotha raid on London on 13 June 1917.

PC Edward Greenoff died of wounds suffered during the Silvertown Explosion and was also awarded the King's Police Medal.

According to the Police Review : “PC Greenoff got many people out of the burning building and prevented a stampede. Regardless of his own personal danger he devoted himself to duty. In this he was heroically occupied when the terrible explosion occurred.” He was struck on the head and died in hospital a few days later, leaving a wife and eight year-old daughter.
Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

London St Pancras International.

Following an overnight stay in London, I had about an hour to kill before my train from King’s Cross back to Cambridge so I went across the road, well down an escalator under the road and up another escalator, to get some photos in the early morning winter sunshine of the 698 feet long by 240 feet wide wrought-iron arch St Pancras train shed which was the largest enclosed space in the world when it opened in 1868. And to think they were going to demolish it in the 60’s.

Taken through thick tinted plate glass.

Statue, by Martin Jennings, of Poet Laureate Sir John Betjeman who led a campaign to save St. Pancras Station from demolition which achieved Grade 1 listed status in 1967, 10 days before demolition was due to start.

DfG on Facebook

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Excellent set Brian👏👏

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Nice shot never heard about the Postmans park until recently when I was watching some of those Joolz Guides on u tube.

Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

gamecock

Post by gamecock »

Quality shots Brian. The shadows are definitely NSFW (nice and safe for work!)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

‘Chimps Are Family’ ~ London Bridge City - Monday: 23rd May 2022

Scattered around London Bridge City are a variety of chimpanzee sculptures, by Gillie and Marc, which opened on the 20th May for World Endangered Species Day. The sculptures demonstrate the same behaviours chimps have with humans to highlight the similarities between humans and chimps which share 98% of human DNA. According to the trail map, which I didn’t have, there are 17 sculptures but I only found 15. In the order taken.

01) Artemis and Athena, females age 28 and 35 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Friendship

02) Abeke and Bamidele, female and male age 14 and 4 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Imitation

03) Azubuike, male age 11 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Hunting

04) Carter, Beau & Duke, males age 5, 4, 6 (left to right) - TITLE: Wild Chimp Tree Climbing

05) Themba, female age 8 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Throwing

06) Adofo and Yafeu, males age 10 and 12 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Conflict

07) Emem, male age 6 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Nest Making

08) Fanta, female age 13 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Tool Use

09) Day and Light, females age 13 and 1 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Knuckle Walking

10) Ife, female age 47 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Grief

11) Sundiata, male age 3 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Foraging

12) Rachel Anne, female age 31 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Communicating Skills

13) Adisa, male age 5 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Hooting

14) Mwamba, male age 17 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Bipedal Walking

15) Hope and Dawn, females age 9 and 3 - TITLE: Wild Chimp Love

https://gillieandmarc.art/blogs/find-ou ... ity-london

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 M6

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Shoreditch Street Art - London Borough of Hackney ~ Wednesday: 15th June 2022

Shoreditch is not only known for trendy restaurants and gastro pubs and coffee shops but is probably more well known for the street art, by local and international artists, that covers nearly every wall and temporary hoarding in the area. I only had an hour or so wandering around as it would probably take most of the day to photograph everything.

01) Great Eastern Street.

02) Great Eastern Street.

03) Great Eastern Street.

04) King John Court.

05) King John Court/New Inn Yard.

06) New Inn Yard.

07) New Inn Yard.

08) Holy Well Lane.

09) Fairchild Street.

10) Fairchild Street.

11) Hanbury Street.

12) Hanbury Street.

13) Hanbury Street.

14) Hanbury Street.

15) Brick Lane.

DfG on Facebook

hedgerowops1

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *Shoreditch Street Art ~ 15Jun22*

Post by hedgerowops1 »

Excellent has always Brian there's some very gifted artist's out there i've enjoyed looking at them.

Pen Pusher

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *Saturday 2nd July*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Bimbling Around London - Saturday: 2nd July 2022

Elizabeth Line - London Underground.
The Elizabeth Line, previously known as Crossrail, runs for 73 miles from Reading in the west to Shenfield in the east with 27 miles of it running under London. Most of the tube old stations on the London Underground have individual identities which distinguish one from the other but on the Elizabeth Line they all seem to be built using the same pattern book. Apart from the station names in the roundels, when you’ve seen one you've seen them all. My short journey was from Tottenham Court Road to Liverpool Street. Not often you get to ride an overground train, Bombardier Class 345 Aventra for the anoraks, on the underground. Very fast, smooth and quiet.

Tottenham Court Road

Liverpool Street

Spitalfields - London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
A herd of life-size bronze pachyderms have taken up residence along Brushfield Street and Bishops Square in Spitalfields. I quickly realised that this was not the first time this extended family of a mother and twenty babies had been to London as in 2020 they had spent a few months at Marble Arch.

Rabbitwoman and Dogman, clutching cups of coffee, on a motorbike ride. A bronze sculpture by Gillie and Marc.

Smokoloko - Bishops Square, Spitalfields.
Fast food BBQ stall using a vintage locomotive as a grill and smoker.

Dirty Dick’s - Bishopsgate, City of London.
Now a pub, the building dates from around 1745 and was once a hardware shop and warehouse owned by Richard Bentley (born1735-died1809) who became known as ‘Dirty Dick’ when following the death of his fiancée on their wedding day he refused to wash or clean and for the rest of his life lived in squalor.

London Bridge - City of London.
A popular location for Instagram shots as the Shard is framed by London Bridge on the right and the pedestrian stairs on the left.

Southwark Bridge Fruiterers Passage Underpass.
I'm always on the lookout for vanishing points, and this is a good example. Called Fruiterers Passage as the Worshipful Company of Vintners hall is behind it on Upper Thames Street.

Millennium Bridge House - City of London.
The ever changing face of London. Millennium Bridge House was completed in 1988 and is now being partly demolished, re-built and refurbished and will have a public viewing platform overlooking the Thames and South Bank.

Sea Containers Hotel - South Bank.
To coincide with the ‘Surrealism Beyond Borders’ exhibition at the Tate Modern, surrealist art installations have been installed along the terrace of the hotel.

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Götheborg - Pool of London 08Aug22

Post by Pen Pusher »

Götheborg - Pool of London, Monday: 8th August 2022

The bascules of Tower Bridge were lifted at 8.30am to allow Götheborg, a full scale replica of an 18th-century tall sailing ship as used by the Swedish East India Company, to pass through into the pool of London. There it was turned around by an accompanying tug boat and slowly drifted on the incoming tide towards London Bridge. As it slowly crept back towards Tower Bridge the crew, and some of them were dressed in period costumes, sang a sea shanty for the thousands of people that had gathered either side of the Thames to watch. At 9.00am the bascules lifted again to allow the Götheborg to leave the Pool of London and head to its berth for the next few days at Canary Wharf.

Crew singing sea shanty.

Someone or something always gets in the way.

Sony α6500 CSC + Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens

DfG on Facebook

hedgerowops1

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *Götheborg, Pool of London, 08Aug22*

Post by hedgerowops1 »

Well Brian you never fail to impress i've enjoyed looking at those

Pen Pusher

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *Disney on Stage/Covent Garden*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Covent Garden - ‘Disney on Stage’ - 14th July - 4th September

Covent Garden has a ‘Disney on Stage’ exhibition and along the Central Avenue are the ‘Leading Ladies of Disney on Stage’ costumes as worn by Belle from Beauty and the Beast; Elsa and Anna from Frozen; Rafiki and Nala from The Lion King and Mary Poppins.

Sony α6500 CSC + Sony E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *4th September 2022*

Post by Pen Pusher »

4th September 2022

Tower Bridge.
Thames Beast powered by two Rolls-Royce 800hp jet engines.

Jubilee Sailing Trust tall ship SV Tenacious at HMS President. Launched in 2000 the Tenacious was designed to be manned by an abled and disabled crew and those with mental health conditions or long-term ill-health issues.

Jubilee Sailing Trust tall ship SV Tenacious at HMS President.

Not often you can stand in the middle of the road on Tower Bridge and not get run over. There had been a road race in the area and was closed for that.

Silver Tiger statue, 100 Minories, next to Tower Hill underground station.

London School of Economics and Political Science.
‘The World Turned Upside Down’, by Mark Wallinger, outside the LSEs Saw Swee Hock Student Centre.

The Old Curiosity Shop under restoration

St Paul’s Cathedral District.
81 Newgate Street, a 1980’s era office block that was the former BT headquarters, is being renovated and rebuilt as a mixed-use development and there will be a large public roof terrace giving panoramic views over the city. Due to be finished late 2025.

‘Paternoster Vents’, stainless steel sculptures by Thomas Heatherwick installed in 2002 are in fact exhaust ventilation shafts for an underground electrical substation.

‘Wild Table of Love’, Paternoster Square, bronze sculpture by Gillie & Marc.

Broad Court, Covent Garden
‘Young Dancer’ bronze sculpture by Enzo Plazzotta with refurbished K2 red telephone boxes behind. Last time I passed these phone boxes, the glass panels were covered in stickers and business cards advertising ladies offering ‘personal’ services.

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *London Christmas Lights 2022*

Post by Pen Pusher »

London Christmas Lights 2022
Oxford Street/Regent Street/Carnaby Street/Covent Garden.

The Christmas street lights and markets are being set up in London although some lights aren't officially switched on until December and those that are switched on are basically the same as last year although there does appear to be less of them about. Carnaby Street is celebrating 25 years of lights and installations with their ‘Carnaby Celebrates’ decorations from years past and Dolce&Gabbana have a very colourful pop up shop on the Covent Garden Piazza which is there until the 15th January 2023.

Oxford Street

Carnaby Street

Regent Street

Covent Garden

Sony α7c + Tamron FE 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD

DfG on Facebook

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Stunning pictures as always Brian :thumbsup:

Your photographs always seem to just pop out of the screen, with an almost 3D effect, just out of curiosity, how much, if any, photo manipulation do you carry out on your images?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Tony C
Not really a lot other wise I'd never have time to process them all. The Sony A7C has a 25mp full frame sensor but using uncompressed RAW I get an image size of around 42mp and once I've put it through DxO pureRAW 2, mainly for lens correction and clear up any noise, I have a Linear DNG image of about 70mp. I have Elements 2022 so open the image in Camera RAW have highlights at -70 and shadows at +70 and set the white and black points holding down the Alt key as I move the sliders. Open in DxO Nik Vivaza which has a Structure slider, bit like Clarity slider in Camera RAW, which I don't go above +40 and tweak the other sliders until it looks right to me.

DfG on Facebook

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 17 Nov 2022, 5:29 pm
Tony C
Not really a lot other wise I'd never have time to process them all. The Sony A7C has a 25mp full frame sensor but using uncompressed RAW I get an image size of around 42mp and once I've put it through DxO pureRAW 2, mainly for lens correction and clear up any noise, I have a Linear DNG image of about 70mp. I have Elements 2022 so open the image in Camera RAW have highlights at -70 and shadows at +70 and set the white and black points holding down the Alt key as I move the sliders. Open in DxO Nik Vivaza which has a Structure slider, bit like Clarity slider in Camera RAW, which I don't go above +40 and tweak the other sliders until it looks right to me.
I think that my head has just exploded :grin:

I have Infinity on the Mac and Paintshop Pro on my PC but too be honest, I don't currently have sufficient time to use either to their full extent beyond using the automatic settings! Hoping that when I retire, this might change :grinning:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Pen Pusher

Re: Bimbling Around London 2022 ~ *The Now Building - 01Dec22*

Post by Pen Pusher »

Thursday: 1st December 2022 - The Now Building

At the intersection of Tottenham Court Road and Charing Cross Road and opposite the escalators to Tottenham Court Road underground station is The Now Building owned and operated by Outernet, a global media and entertainment company. Two public galleries are at street level which you can walk into for immersive audio-visual entertainment featuring giant Ultra HD screens. There is also a 2000 capacity underground live music venue as well as further music and retail spaces spread throughout the district which included Denmark Street which was once the centre of the British music industry and known as Britain’s Tin Pan Alley.

Image[/url]

DfG on Facebook