Pen Pusher

Re: Season Opener

Post by Pen Pusher »

elterwater wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 2:51 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 1:31 pm
What's the weather like. As forecast?
Grey, bit of a breeze, the odd very light drop of moisture but otherwise passable.
I'm 30 miles to the east and have had bits of blue sky and sunshine most of the afternoon.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Got to say, how good was it to be back at an airshow without any restrictions and being able to spend it with friends? I have a huge smile on my face and look forward to the next!

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Have to agree, weather bit rubbish but hey the wren made me very happy! What a machine!
Few notes of point 9:30 gates opening which became 9:40 why not 9. Also no programs and catering was a poor but otherwise good day!
Thomas

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

All in all an enjoyable day. Nice to be back at an airshow and weather was better than expected (grey but at least dry).

Seafire was a highlight and great to see the Sea Hurricane back in the air.
The Spitfire looks better with elliptical too.
Pacing was a bit up and down, several gaps in the program. Unfortunately I missed the Wren, seemed like the display was finishing so headed off.

Getting in was a faff, the shouty woman organising the entrance queue seemed to have a very random approach, so much so that a guy came to check my tickets again as I’d been sitting there so long. Seems pretty simple to me, fill lane, close it off. When lane has been emptied fill again. The seemed to be doing 10 from this one, 10 from that one without much consistency. Also, F&B seemed to be overwhelmed, hopefully they’ll improve things before one of the sell out shows because that would be chaos.

Nice to see and hear those wonderful machines again though.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Good day - I thought the flying programme was well constructed.

- The flypast with the Seafire and Sea Hurricane was most welcome. An early contender for UKAR highlight of the year!

- Seafire display a complete joy; I'd be hard pressed to find a display by Chris I didn't like. Wonderful to have it back on the circuit.

- Beautiful topside passes by the Lancaster.

- Spirited Gladiator display.

- Kennet Aviation Boeing Stearman. :heart_eyes:

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Thoroughly enjoyable day with the weather maybe not being the best but at least it didn't rain.

Some great flying, the Seafire / Sea Hurricane & the Lancaster were the stand out ones for me.

But the Comet no matter how many times i see it still have that absolute WOW factor, such a beautiful aircraft that i don't think i'll ever tire of seeing.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Weather was very slightly better than I thought it would be - stayed cloudy and a cold breeze but there was a glimmer of brightness for a while in the afternoon.

I was worried for the Catalina - thought it might have to land on water somewhere!

A great start to the season, and the gentle breeze allowed some great sounds from the aircraft.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Seafire was immense yesterday. Amazing to have it back. Easily an early nomination for Top Ten moments of the year.

A nod to the Gladiator display, too. Full of beans. Good to see the Lanc Chuck in some nice topsides. The BBMF know exactly how to “flypast” at Old Warden. A dull day for photography, but an absolutely lovely airshow.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

I left home at 7.15 (in the rain in Worcestershire) more in hope than expectation, and at 11.00 when the wind got up and started blowing signs over I didn't imagine I'd be watching the Boxkite landing at 6.10!

Great to be back, the weather not brilliant but at least dry, familiar faces on the crowd line and hearing Ben Dunnell introducing the day, Old Warden is always my favourite venue.

The Seafire was wonderful, always enjoy the Gladiator, seeing the Wren flying around was a rare treat, and loved the Avro thread running through the afternoon, enhanced by the welcome sight of the Anson and our visitor from Coningsby.

Good start to 2022, just need a bit more sun and less cloud!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Tom105 wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 6:08 pm
Have to agree, weather bit rubbish but hey the wren made me very happy! What a machine!
Few notes of point 9:30 gates opening which became 9:40 why not 9. Also no programs and catering was a poor but otherwise good day!
weather wasn't ideal but at least it was an airshow and a good one at that, bodes well for the rest of the season if they can have displays like that.

I was disappointed by the parking - actually getting in was okay (We arrived at the 'gate' c.11am and were parked by 11.15 but timed it badly so we were put on the area of grass right at the back near the rear entrance to the Swiss Garden, half hour earlier we would have been on the main field and 15 minutes later on the overspill near the gate (which I quite like as it's good for viewing and photography, can usually get to the front with no crush or hour of the sparrow-fart arrival - quite relaxed. That one are is the worst if you are wanting to stay by your car as the aircraft are hidden by trees as the come in form both sides - as it was cold SWMBO decided to stay in the car and because they parked us in lines side on to the display line sitting in the car was was not an option for viewing the flying, far from ideal on a day like Sunday. I ventured down just beyond the pizza and coffee franchises and watched from there, had a good view but it wasn't the day out with the wife that I had promised her. I don't understand why they parked us that way round facing the trees of the Swiss Garden. I think I may have spent £25 on her membership for nothing as she ain't too keen to come along next time unless we are guaranteed good weather and that isn't possible when booking well in advance.

I was surprised by the lack of programmes, usually I've been pounced on by a seller even before I get out of the car but not this time. Fortunately I went to the Shuttleworth stand at the southern end of the hangars and asked if they had any but they didn't produce any this time because the flying programme was all up in the air (well not quite but you get my drift) at the point where the programme had to go to the printers and apparently it's the flying programme that sells the programmes so they decided against having one -they hope to have one next time. I suppose early season there are unknowns like DAs and serviceability so makes sens in a way. Anyway, in an attempt (a successful one) to help I was shown a clipboard with the day's programme that the staff are issued with and I was invited to take a photo of it on my phone which I duly did and what a help it was- I wish it were always available. Here's my photo of it (edited a bit to make it clearer)
Imageshuttleworth premiere timings 01-05-2022 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

Apart from the above I thought it was a good day out so looking forward to another visit soon.
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »