Lightroom Filing System

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Lighning Fan

Lightroom Filing System

Post by Lighning Fan »

Looking if fellow UKARer's could share their filing sytem for images please and the reasoning. My initial online research suggests there are two primary methods:

1) Have a folder for each year with subfolders for every day you shoot and then use keywords to find what you need followed by creating collections in LR to quickly find your best shots

2) Have a year folder with sub folders by topic and then further sub folders. From this then create collections mirroring the topics for the best images

I can see that both require discipline when importing i.e. with method 1 if you don't keyword well - it can get tricky if you have a large number of images. However method 2 may still require keywording especially for aviation to find particular aircraft

I'm not solely an aviation photographer so looking for advice / hints from people before I decide which route to go down

TIA

Berf

Re: Lightroom Filing System

Post by Berf »

Originally I had a library/folder for each year but in reality it was pointless as if I looked for a picture of something it really did not matter which year and although I might remember I saw X at RIAt I would never remember what year it was. Right now I have RIAT and non RIAT and overseas. Inside non RIAT and overseas I just keyword the location - no more folders. I do the same for places I visit ie folder for Germany keyword for city. I have separate folders for images I might need for work such as clouds, or general aviation but these are folders of images that have been copied from their original folders. I don't need vast amounts of keywords best thing is to look at what you actually need it for rather than religiously keyword hundred of pictures but never need that information.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Lightroom Filing System

Post by Blackbird »

FWIW I open a new folder for each main event - a show or a holiday etc but have never used keywords; maybe I should? The difficulty I have is finding the occasional random photo that I import. Any suggestions?

Andy