Cosford Airshow 2022

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
Frogfoot

Re: Cosford Airshow 2022

Post by Frogfoot »

I was holding out until payday. Looks like I won’t be going this year now.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Frogfoot wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 6:46 pm
I was holding out until payday. Looks like I won’t be going this year now.
Looks like plenty wanting to sell their ticket on the Cosford Airshow FB page lol

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

This years show just feels so scrambled. Normally at this time of year I’m counting down and whilst I’m still hoping it’ll be a great show I’m just not confident from what I’ve seen especially that comment about having the historic helicopters on static so people could get close to them instead of watching them fly

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 8:30 pm
This years show just feels so scrambled. Normally at this time of year I’m counting down and whilst I’m still hoping it’ll be a great show I’m just not confident from what I’ve seen especially that comment about having the historic helicopters on static so people could get close to them instead of watching them fly
They could have parked Historic Helicopters at the edge of the static, and closed that bit off when the flying starts. I've seen that done elsewhere, allowing the helicopter to then take off and display.

Also surprised the Vampire is only on static too.

Cole

Post by Cole »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 8:53 pm
UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 8:30 pm
They could have parked Historic Helicopters at the edge of the static, and closed that bit off when the flying starts. I've seen that done elsewhere, allowing the helicopter to then take off and display.

Also surprised the Vampire is only on static too.
really disappointing imo. it feels half arsed :anguished:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

CJS

Post by CJS »

To play devil's advocate briefly, it's not exactly rocket science is it? So I imagine someone on the organising team would have thought of it and then - for reasons we clearly don't know (why would we?) - have had to rule it out.

It's not as if they are doing it to deliberately make the show a bit less good.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

Another day goes by with no communication. Getting to squeaky bum time.
Or for the football aficionados: 'Fergie time'.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

CJS wrote:
Mon 23 May 2022, 7:46 pm
To play devil's advocate briefly, it's not exactly rocket science is it? So I imagine someone on the organising team would have thought of it and then - for reasons we clearly don't know (why would we?) - have had to rule it out.

It's not as if they are doing it to deliberately make the show a bit less good.
They probably don't want to bore us with the details!
jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 8:53 pm
I've seen that done elsewhere
Exactly; elsewhere. Cosford doesn't have the ability to have a clear taxiway nor a suitable space from where aircraft could be positioned on static and still fly. And that's not withstanding things like FOD. It's a shame but it's the nature of the beast.

After listening to the recent podcast, the RAF are very upbeat about the show and don't forget, it's only been a handful of months in the planning. It's still no excuse for mediocre communications but it does at least demonstrate they're doing what they can to put on a show - I'd rather one on static than none at all
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

A-400 Flypast(s)

Woodford_was_wicked

Post by Woodford_was_wicked »

Nice addition, good to have a bit of variety in the type and size of aircraft on display. Up to 14 full flying displays plus a couple of flypasts. What's the feeling, will there be more announcements? It'd be nice to see maybe another 5 or 6 displays announced to bring the list up to the low twenties... Am I just being greedy?!

Cole

Post by Cole »

Woodford_was_wicked wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 1:53 pm
Nice addition, good to have a bit of variety in the type and size of aircraft on display. Up to 14 full flying displays plus a couple of flypasts. What's the feeling, will there be more announcements? It'd be nice to see maybe another 5 or 6 displays announced to bring the list up to the low twenties... Am I just being greedy?!
No, im hoping for atleast an announcement every 2-3 days at a minimum

On a side note, according to the website, University of Birmingham Air Squadron are bringing a Tiger Moth??

do they actually have one or another case of a clueless website updater?
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Cole wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 2:17 pm

On a side note, according to the website, University of Birmingham Air Squadron are bringing a Tiger Moth??

do they actually have one or another case of a clueless website updater?
University of Birmingham Air Squadron is based out of RAF Cosford, and did fly the Tiger Moth in the past, so it is possible they might have kept one. And being based at Cosford it doesn't have to go very far. So it is quite possible.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation ... -squadron/

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Would expect some last minute civilian stuff to space feel maybe something like the blades, wing walkers or the strike master pair.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

westhamfan84 wrote:
Thu 26 May 2022, 5:35 pm
Would expect some last minute civilian stuff to space feel maybe something like the blades, wing walkers or the strike master pair.
Wingwalkers schedule came out today and doesn't have Cosford. Neither does the Blades.

I'd love to see the 2Excel 727 though.

Woodford_was_wicked

Post by Woodford_was_wicked »

True, though could they expand on their schedules? They don't look as full as some years and both websites have links to their booking pages. They're also both currently showing as free on the 12th so could bea possibility. No idea how long it takes to book an act, I'm assuming it's not an easy as just calling up and booking a time slot but maybe contact already made.

Looks like there's a good show coming together, few more acts so there aren't huge gaps in the flying and we're in business.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 5:16 pm

In a momentary diversion to an alternative reality, I thought that was the flightline...! :star_struck:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tickets sold out.

No Strikemaster pair, Cosford never so much as sent them a reply to their inquiry.

Cole

Post by Cole »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 1:39 pm
Tickets sold out.

No Strikemaster pair, Cosford never so much as sent them a reply to their inquiry.
Maybe cosford did reply but it was sent from a random chaps facebook page :rofl:
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

This years show is just so flat… not excited at all right now

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 1:48 pm
This years show is just so flat… not excited at all right now
We still have the F16, Rafele, F35, A400 etc. There are some very exciting displays. My main issue is I am still struggling to see how this will make up a 6 hour flying display.

The displays themselves I have actually 0 issue with and am excited to see. I just don't feel my £75 for the Cosford club is well spent, and I should have gone for general admission. I am surprised the likes of Blades, Strikemasters, Wingwalkers etc are all missing when there seems to be issues filling out the display.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Sat 28 May 2022, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

On the subject of communication, todays UKAR podcast made a great point, communication is not good, it was great in 2018/2019. RIAT was terrible for communication in 2019 and great this year. I feel there is an underlying factor, Peter Reoch was at Cosford 2019 and now at RIAT this year.

He was fantastic at keeping people updated, even taking on advice on the forums put to him in 2018 at Cosford, even little things such as putting *new* beside new displays added on the website. He is very hands on, that seems to be lacking since he left Cosford.

CJS

Post by CJS »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Tickets sold out.

I mean, that does sound really odd. Assuming (and I have no reason not to) that your info is reliable, why on Earth would they not at least have replied? The organising team have - literally - one job to do: organise an airshow*. Now, I've never done that, but it strikes me that replying to display acts that have enquired about being at said airshow might be a key element to the success of that job.

(*I realise of course that there are many, many jobs within that 'job', but I'm sure my point is clear nonetheless.)

Regarding Pete Reoch; it's clear that he's excellent at communication. Having worked for years with myriad people who should be, I can confirm that he is in a minority (and a very refreshing one at that)!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

CJS wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 3:56 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Tickets sold out.

I mean, that does sound really odd. Assuming (and I have no reason not to) that your info is reliable, why on Earth would they not at least have replied? The organising team have - literally - one job to do: organise an airshow*. Now, I've never done that, but it strikes me that replying to display acts that have enquired about being at said airshow might be a key element to the success of that job.

(*I realise of course that there are many, many jobs within that 'job', but I'm sure my point is clear nonetheless.)

Regarding Pete Reoch; it's clear that he's excellent at communication. Having worked for years with myriad people who should be, I can confirm that he is in a minority (and a very refreshing one at that)!
In regards to the Strikemaster, the comments came from them directly

Person on FB Who I have removed the name of -
Really looking forward to seeing you on the display circuit again. Will see you at Midlands Air Festival in a few days time. Will you be at Cosford as well??
Reply7 h

Strikemaster Display UK
no sadly Cosford did not reply to us.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

CJS wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote:
Tickets sold out.

Can confirm it’s reliable it was from the strike master teams Facebook page saying they hadn’t responded. Don’t get me wrong the aircraft confirm are very nice but I struggle to see how that’s 6 hours of flying and the events going on on the ground have barely been mentioned or anything

Cole

Post by Cole »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 4:00 pm
CJS wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote:
Tickets sold out.

Can confirm it’s reliable it was from the strike master teams Facebook page saying they hadn’t responded. Don’t get me wrong the aircraft confirm are very nice but I struggle to see how that’s 6 hours of flying and the events going on on the ground have barely been mentioned or anything

1 act then 20 mins of waffling by the commentators ? (please no, not the suncreme debate again!)
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..