Export Wildcats

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Professor_M

Export Wildcats

Post by Professor_M »

I've been thinking about the AW159 and its export orders (or more the shocking lack of) - it is currently operated by only three nations (nowhere near the 18 of the Lynx before it).
Is the Wildcat's time on the international stage yet to come, or is this where the story ends? Whilst I don't think any are being built at the moment, could production be restarted if interest was to appear?

farnboroughrob

Re: Export Wildcats

Post by farnboroughrob »

There does seem to be a lack of work in general down at Yeovil at the moment. I am suprised by the lack of wildcat orders however I guess there are a lot less small ships in navies that need these sort of helicopters, or helicopters at all. Navies seem to be going for the larger helicopters like the NH90. Personally would love Yeovil to go over to building the Agusta designs so there is something worth looking at there.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The factory making the airframes has closed. They were touting round for someone else to take on the task a few years ago, but with no orders it didn’t seem a viable prospect to undertake. I very much doubt any more will be built. The whole programme was a boondoggle to create some jobs in the U.K. in the first place.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/defe ... rt-orders/

Read into it how you like. I’ve seen other “positive” press articles about Wildcats for the past 24 months. There are a few rumoured customers, or follow on orders, at the least.

The loss of the anticipated second South Korean order was a big blow. Cheers to Trump for muscling in on that one.

Not sure it’s entirely correct to say “the factory” is closed - it isn’t. The Wildcat line might well be closed (assume that’s what you meant), but I think they’ve been kept going by upgrading the Brazilian and Portuguese Lynx.

But yeh, Yeovil exports are a bit dry. It’s why the AW149 contract would be so valuable to them.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 05 Sep 2022, 8:05 pm
https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/defe ... rt-orders/
But yeh, Yeovil exports are a bit dry. It’s why the AW149 contract would be so valuable to them.
There's no more AW101 on order beyond the Norwegian and Polish examples either, are there?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I lose track - there was supposed to be a Canadian Cormorant upgrade. But I think that was cancelled or postponed on account of costs.

I think the Navy’s Junglies are still going through HC4 conversion, but there can’t be that many left now, if any.

Japan has just ordered another Merlin, but that’ll be built locally, so doesn’t really assist the factory.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Haven't they just started on the runway ? Assume doing that means they have plans for the site going forwards ?
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Mike

Post by Mike »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 05 Sep 2022, 8:05 pm
Not sure it’s entirely correct to say “the factory” is closed - it isn’t. The Wildcat line might well be closed (assume that’s what you meant), but I think they’ve been kept going by upgrading the Brazilian and Portuguese Lynx.
The base airframes were built in a GKN factory, which has now closed - my understanding is that a major factor in the decision to close it was the lack of further orders on the horizon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-38017729

Leonardo were touting around a few years back looking for someone else to take on the work *if* further orders materialised. They approached the company where I work, amongst others, to see if we were interested.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ah ok, I stand corrected - since GKN’s closure in 2017, a pair of new Philippine Wildcats were built and delivered in 2018/19 respectively so they must have been built somewhere (but I accept that the base airframes could have pushed through the base airframes in 2017).

But they were still anticipating the South Korean order in 2020 which fell through at the last minute, so they must have had some possibility of constructing the airframes without GKN. Which probably means that they still do.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

2e1var wrote:
Wed 07 Sep 2022, 6:35 am
Haven't they just started on the runway ? Assume doing that means they have plans for the site going forwards ?
No, in aviation such thing normally signals the start of the closing.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

https://www.flightglobal.com/helicopter ... 34.article

Mentions the three export Wildcats for the still-unnamed North African customer, as well as the Canadian Cormorant contract and potential for an Italian Navy AW101 MLU.