Viewing Village - Garden

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Planecrazy190

Viewing Village - Garden

Post by Planecrazy190 »

This will be my 1st time attending RIAT. I will be taking pictures / standing up and was wondering if the Viewing Village - Garden is a good choice compared to the general viewing areas?

CJS

Re: Viewing Village - Garden

Post by CJS »

If you get a spot on the fence centrally somewhere else then the view isn't any better. What you get is more space. I've had a grandstand seat since 2016 and the garden area always looks pretty roomy compared to the scrum to get on the fence line in the public areas - at least near the centre. Towards the east end, where displays usually take off from, the crowd is significantly thinner.

The viewing Village is pretty central, from memory perhaps 100m west of display centre (which is in front of the FRIAT stand).
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

The Village is sold out for Sat. its £33 for Sunday. Obviously only you can decide if a 50% premium on your ticket is well spent.

If you are not too bothered about take off/ landing shots (assuming runway 27 in use, landing East to West) then the grassed public area next to the Village is normally not too crowded.

If you are after take off/ landing shots then really you need to be to the East of the big marquee village in the centre. it is crowded on the crowd line here but 10m back you should have no problem finding space.

Sadly getting a decent centre spot at RIAT hasn't been an option for decades since the arrival of the Patron's marquee village which (together with FRIAT enclosure) takes up 600m of the display line at the centre.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The Viewing Village garden is, in my experience, the best view outside FRIAT.

There's loads of room in general, and plenty of room on the rope, with just about the best backdrop on the display line now that Rhymes has been cleared.

Added to that, you have very easy and quick trips to toilets and refreshments if you need them.

Just get in reasonably early, pick up your plastic chair and pop it on the crowd line to bag your spot.

If being on the rope is not so important you can just breeze in any time there's ample space.

Standing up isn't a problem, not at all.

This was a few years back - 2015 - but gives an impression from the east end of the VV Garden looking back over the enclosure as the reds arrive

The pics in this flickr link give you an impression of your view (the sunny ones, as I did Sunday in the viewing village garden that year) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326 ... 5353/page3

Planecrazy190

Post by Planecrazy190 »

Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciate your feedback!

darkman

Post by darkman »

Always use the viewing village when at RIAT
Spacious access to food loos etc without extreme queues etc. Will be there again this year

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

I always use the village grandstand on the Saturday, it's great apart from the last few years they don't have anyone policing it so idiots constantly stand at the top of the stairs blocking peoples view (sometimes it's even Cadet volunteers). It's an easy mistake to make but some people are reluctant (read refuse) to move when politely asked, it really needs an official presence throughout the show. Unfortunately nothing can be done about people that decide to go to the loo just as something tasty is taking off...

MarkVTX

Post by MarkVTX »

Hi all. First time in the Viewing Village, just to be clear, seats are provided? Cheers, Mark.
Welcome to the Machine

CJS

Post by CJS »

MarkVTX wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm
Hi all. First time in the Viewing Village, just to be clear, seats are provided? Cheers, Mark.
If you're in the Grandstand then yes (obviously, sorry :rofl: )

In the garden there are loads of plastic garden chairs. Whether there's enough for everyone I'm not sure. What I'm hoping is that the grandstand might offer a bit of shade on one side of the other (or just in front possibly)!

frank

Post by frank »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Sun 05 Jun 2022, 11:49 am
The Viewing Village garden is, in my experience, the best view outside FRIAT.

There's loads of room in general, and plenty of room on the rope, with just about the best backdrop on the display line now that Rhymes has been cleared.

Added to that, you have very easy and quick trips to toilets and refreshments if you need them.

Just get in reasonably early, pick up your plastic chair and pop it on the crowd line to bag your spot.

If being on the rope is not so important you can just breeze in any time there's ample space.

Standing up isn't a problem, not at all.

This was a few years back - 2015 - but gives an impression from the east end of the VV Garden looking back over the enclosure as the reds arrive

The pics in this flickr link give you an impression of your view (the sunny ones, as I did Sunday in the viewing village garden that year) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326 ... 5353/page3
i

Just looked at your Flickr photos and clearly the Garden can/does give great photo opportunities. Might be worth considering for next year. Thanks for sharing.

Meep

Post by Meep »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:27 pm
MarkVTX wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm
If you're in the Grandstand then yes (obviously, sorry :rofl: )

In the garden there are loads of plastic garden chairs. Whether there's enough for everyone I'm not sure. What I'm hoping is that the grandstand might offer a bit of shade on one side of the other (or just in front possibly)!
Which have you booked, grandstand or garden seat?

There never is an issue with garden seats unless you are desperate to be at the front. But that's space not seat shortage

The best chance for shade is if you have a garden seat finding a spot next to the grandstand. The grandstand itself won't have any.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ah I wasn't clear - yes I meant sitting in the shade of it, rather than getting any whilst in it 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

MarkVTX

Post by MarkVTX »

Good morning and many thanks for getting back to me 🙂 Yes, sorry, I wasn't very clear, I've bought tickets for the garden. It'll be a relief not to be lugging camping chairs 👍
Welcome to the Machine

Meep

Post by Meep »

MarkVTX wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 5:17 am
Good morning and many thanks for getting back to me 🙂 Yes, sorry, I wasn't very clear, I've bought tickets for the garden. It'll be a relief not to be lugging camping chairs 👍
It's worth it if you afford it. Typically it's set out in rows with lots of space between them in columns 6 to 8 wide. People move them around but generally a relative structure is kept for everyone's benefit

2 things to bear in mind, don't sit near / downwind of a bin, and have a proper look round, for a flat airfield it's got lumps and bumps and it can make a bit of a difference to your viewing where you sit.

If you plan on using the food and drink trailers, plan accordingly. Personally I find it better to miss 1 relatively popular display just to get a short queue, as they can really busy if a quiet display is on prime lunch hour

MarkVTX

Post by MarkVTX »

Cheers for that, Meep 👍
Welcome to the Machine

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Just dont stand in the photographers standing area! got removed for standing up as it was only for people with lenses on tripods, i kid you not !
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022, 1:51 pm
I always use the village grandstand on the Saturday, it's great apart from the last few years they don't have anyone policing it so idiots constantly stand at the top of the stairs blocking peoples view (sometimes it's even Cadet volunteers). It's an easy mistake to make but some people are reluctant (read refuse) to move when politely asked, it really needs an official presence throughout the show. Unfortunately nothing can be done about people that decide to go to the loo just as something tasty is taking off...
My first time in the grandstand, what is the etiquette for standing/sitting?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

tankbuster wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
Stand for a Number One,

Sit for a Number Two

:grinning: :smiling_imp:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

tankbuster wrote:
Gt5500 wrote:
Best time to get up and move is in between displays and don't stand up just for a better photo (Unless you're top row and not blocking anyone) Try to keep your bag under your seat so its not in anyones way and basically don't do anything that would piss you off if someone did it near you lol.

stu_h
UKAR Supporter

Post by stu_h »

Be careful if taking an umbrella for shade too.

Small and discrete might be okay. A brolly so big you're in danger of performing impromptu invasive surgery on the person behind you, or scalping the person in front, no.

Umbrellas should come with a training course.

CJS

Post by CJS »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm
tankbuster wrote:
Gt5500 wrote:
Stand for a Number One,

Sit for a Number Two

:joy:

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

I did Garden in 2018 (or was it 2017?) - wish I had booked a bit earlier this year, late due to a health scare and not garden tickets left for the Saturday.

I found the garden was great! Didn't push to the fence, but got some nice pics of the reds - the plastic chairs make panning a doddle!!!
Anything that flies!

Ashthorpe87

Post by Ashthorpe87 »

Hi, Our first time in the village this time, we are in the grandstand on Sunday.

Does anyone know if there is a water bottle filling point in the viewing village, or how close the nearest bowser is? I cant seem to find a map with the bowser locations on there.

Thanks in advance!

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm
tankbuster wrote:
Gt5500 wrote:
Stand for a Number One,

Sit for a Number Two

This, this right here is why this site needs a like button 🤣
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Meep

Post by Meep »

Ashthorpe87 wrote:
Wed 13 Jul 2022, 3:14 pm
Hi, Our first time in the village this time, we are in the grandstand on Sunday.

Does anyone know if there is a water bottle filling point in the viewing village, or how close the nearest bowser is? I cant seem to find a map with the bowser locations on there.

Thanks in advance!
Probably .

The map won't be that detailed, there are too many uncertainties to create a map in advance and it'd be a case of looking out for them.

But the village has normally good provisions of facilities. 6 to 8 food vans previously. Multiple toilet blocks behind the stand.

Given its place on the site, even if there isn't one in the village itself, it won't be far