NavyWings - News and Updates

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Seahornet

Re: NavyWings - News and Updates

Post by Seahornet »

Ryan. wrote:
Thu 23 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

This is fabulous! Although I do wonder how often It’ll be seen at airshows being a float plane, hopefully it can make some static appearances if it can be dismantled easily.
It can be configured with a wheeled undercarriage, as it has been for all of it's previous flights, before the recent historic water take-off.
Although I guess it would rather defeat the object of displaying a replica of Britain's first seaplane, if it turned up on wheels.... :rolling_eyes:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Hangared at Yeovilton with Navy Wings for some time, the privately owned Phantom FG.1 is up for disposal. A shame as this does deserve a place in the FAAM, being a genuine ex Fleet Air Arm machine.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

centaurus18 wrote:
Mon 25 Jul 2022, 5:53 pm
Hangared at Yeovilton with Navy Wings for some time, the privately owned Phantom FG.1 is up for disposal. A shame as this does deserve a place in the FAAM, being a genuine ex Fleet Air Arm machine.
Indeed...... a shame :frowning2:

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Swordfish I W5856 has been ground run, so another milestone passed in its journey back to flight.
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

AMB

Post by AMB »

Mike wrote:
Thu 02 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm
centaurus18 wrote:
Thu 02 Jun 2022, 10:55 am
Perhaps the SHAR under rebuild in St Athan will become an associated aircraft in time?
50 quid says there will never, ever, EVER be a civilian Harrier, of any type, flying in the U.K. under the auspices of the CAA.

Any takers?
G-VSTO Harrier GR.1. G-VTOL Harrier T.52?? I'll accept a cheque please!
Adrian

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

From their update E-Mail today...
Following a number of ground runs, Swordfish W5856 successfully completed her first test flight yesterday with her reconditioned engine.

Pilot Glenn Allison flew the aircraft for approximately 30 minutes.

This is the first of a number of test flights as we work with the CAA to get our permit to fly.
Video link from them :

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Marvellous to see the old Stringbag back in the air :sunglasses:

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

Well I wasn't going to post this, but here goes...

Rumour mill.... G-CVIX to Canada. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Mark

Fargo Boyle

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Ok, I'll bite! :slight_smile:
Cash? Donation? Exchange for an aircraft or parts (eg Sea Fury to replace the T.20)?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

There's a concerning lack of mention of the fact that the aircraft is effectively a writeoff at this point!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

cg_341 wrote:
Mon 05 Sep 2022, 1:05 pm
There's a concerning lack of mention of the fact that the aircraft is effectively a writeoff at this point!
Seems harsh. While unlikely to ever fly again, it can easily be brought up to excellent static presentation, write off? There's also mention of its wheels up landing and photos of airframe damage, so its not exactly, no its never been involved in an accident sir :lying_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :kissing:

Not quite sure what the FAW1 being a test bed is about though?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

A bit of an update about Navy Wings....

- Seafire F.XVII SX336 G-KASX, Chipmunk WK608 G-CLNI, Harvard G-NWHF, Wasp XT420 G-CBUI, Tiger Moth G-ALWS, and the N-registered Stinson Reliant all serviceable!

- Swordfish I W5856 G-BMGC awaiting a permit to test from the CAA.

- Swordfish II LS326 G-AJVH is having x-rays done and awaits its rebuilt engine.

- Swordfish III NF389 is in long-term store.

- Sea Fury FB.11 VR930 G-CLNJ is in long-term store. No concrete plans to either restore, re-engine or reject (or sell) at the moment.

- Sea Hawk FGA.6 WV908 G-CMFB is being rebuilt to fly again - projected completion is 2024/25 with two engineers employed full-time on the programme.

- Chipmunk WB657 is being restored in-house also but looks a slow burner.

- Sea Vixen FAW.2 XP924 G-CVIX no longer housed with Navy Wings (they have just moved hangars) and is available for sale. Some interest overseas but disposal to a Museum is still a possibility.

- The two SHARs with identity crisis' ZH800 and ZH801 are in open store on the airfield and may be moving onto pastures new in the future.
Mark

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Swordfish W5856 has finished test flying and is awaiting a permit to fly from the CAA.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

8674planes wrote:
Sun 02 Oct 2022, 3:56 pm
Swordfish W5856 has finished test flying and is awaiting a permit to fly from the CAA.
whoops lol
Mark

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Which hangar are they now residing in, back in the previous building?

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

aviationanoraks wrote:
Sun 02 Oct 2022, 4:30 pm
Next door hangar.... they've taken 2/3s of hangar 16... where the hawks used to live. The end 1/3 of hangar space is used by 727NAS.
Mark

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

What about the Phantom FG1 has was in the Navy Wings hangar. Understand it's up for disposal?

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

centaurus18 wrote:
Sun 02 Oct 2022, 5:16 pm
aviationanoraks wrote:
Sun 02 Oct 2022, 4:30 pm
Next door hangar.... they've taken 2/3s of hangar 16... where the hawks used to live. The end 1/3 of hangar space is used by 727NAS.
Thank you.

Holty

Post by Holty »

centaurus18 wrote:
Sun 04 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

Quote requested for shipping out of liverpool a few weeks back, but not heard anything since..

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Sun 02 Oct 2022, 8:02 pm
What about the Phantom FG1 has was in the Navy Wings hangar. Understand it's up for disposal?
Same hangar as the Vixen, and I suspect will shortly be moving out into the elements should the space be needed by the Fleet Air Arm.
Mark

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

What is the story with VR930? Is it a funding thing or is there some sort of unresolved issue with the airframe or power train?

wdg

Post by wdg »

Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:43 am
What is the story with VR930? Is it a funding thing or is there some sort of unresolved issue with the airframe or power train?
I had a brief chat with some of their volunteers at a show earlier in the year. It sounded like they were really worried about reliability with the Centaurus and reluctant to commit to the restoration until they'd made a decision about that.
2022: As many displays as I can get to
http://www.flickr.com/people/161562983@N04

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

wdg wrote:
Wed 05 Oct 2022, 1:31 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 05 Oct 2022, 11:43 am
I had a brief chat with some of their volunteers at a show earlier in the year. It sounded like they were really worried about reliability with the Centaurus and reluctant to commit to the restoration until they'd made a decision about that.
Seems fair enough, although, as we know, fitting a PW engine is no guarantee of reliability either...

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

Holty wrote:
Mon 03 Oct 2022, 10:29 am
centaurus18 wrote:
Sun 04 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

Quote requested for shipping out of liverpool a few weeks back, but not heard anything since..
Are there any updates re the Sea Vixen? It would be a real shame to see this aircraft leave the country. It was a magnificent achievement by private individuals to bring this aircraft back to airworthiness and the air show scene for quite a long period. I don’t think though that the project got the attention it deserved in comparison to other high profile restorations. I do recognise that it would require very deep pockets to make the necessary repairs as things stands and without a new Red Bull deal or similar there is a certain inevitability to the way in which uk classics end up crossing the Atlantic.