Raptors go wild in Kent - - - more added 12-5-12

Photos that are not aviation related
colper

Raptors go wild in Kent - - - more added 12-5-12

Post by colper »

If you like watching the aerial ballet of various types of Raptors,head for the Isle of Sheppey in Kent.I have never been up close to one raptor in the wild before,so imagine my joy and delight to have not one but three different species performing for me in a three hour trip to Capel Fleet Raptor Viewpoint http://www.kentos.org.uk/articles/Raptorviewpoint.htm

The conditions were very difficult to say the least,low light with heavy overcast skies,so to try and capture some pictures of the day it was high iso(500) to enable shutter speeds to try and "stop the birds in their tracks".So please bear with me on the quality of the following images.The main purpose of this post is to let people know what is on offer in this part of Kent

As I said not the best quality so be gentle on me !!!

I will definitely be going back (hopefully a bit of sun around),

Colin
Last edited by colper on Sat 12 May 2012, 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Rapide

Re: Raptors go wild in Kent

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Absolutely stunning shots given the conditions and do I see the sight of the the old airfield, now prison, in the background of one of the shots?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

colper

Post by colper »

Thanks Dragon Rapid,it is indeed the prison in the background.For anyone that knows the area the Raptor Viewpoint is situated on the road to Harty Ferry,there are lay byes situated all along the road where you can stop and observe the action.

A rough photostitch to show one of the "flypasts" as I said not ideal photos to work with but hopefully conveys what you can expect to see

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Wonderful - I didn't know about it but will park up for a look when I go over there. :smile:

Dragon Rapide

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Excellent ,great shots given the conditions :clap: must have a trip there soon !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

colper

Re: Raptors go wild in Kent - - - more added 7-5-12

Post by colper »

Many thanks for comments ,much appreciated.With a brighter day looming,made another trip on Monday,unfortunately the owls failed to appear.Time to seek out the local scenery

Last edited by colper on Tue 08 May 2012, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Lovely pictures, Colin - I particularly like the composition of the shrubbery, the old fence and the rape in the background against that sky. :smile:

Dragon Rapide

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I've been there many times Colin, only seen the owls once (and that was pre-camera). You are very lucky to have seen them.

planemadbird

Post by planemadbird »

Great photos considering the conditions :clap: , must go there some time :smile:
'Little friend,little friend,we are gonna have to bail out,will you standby and count the chutes?'

rjlaker

Post by rjlaker »

Fantastic! Must try and get there myself - I never knew it existed!!

rjlaker

Post by rjlaker »

Fantastic! Must try and get there myself - I never knew it existed!!

colper

Post by colper »

Thanks for the comments.I am totally hooked on this place,went down there for the third day running.To be in close proximity to these wonderful creatures and watch them (through binoculars) hunting and catching there prey is an absolute pleasure,in fact I will say probably the best wildlife experience I have ever witnessed.To capture the event on camera is proving a lot more difficult,take today for example,a Marsh Harrier about 2-300yds away,hovering three foot above the ground,dropping into the undergrowth and then rising out with the prey firmly gripped in its talon's, all captured on camera.Unfortunately the pictures,although you can see what is going on
did not come out as sharp as I would have liked.They will stay in my collection but I feel not worthy enough to put them on here.I will have a play around with them to see if I can salvage anything to post.

"I've been there many times Colin, only seen the owls once (and that was pre-camera). You are very lucky to have seen them"

Each time I have been there Grant,they have been out feeding three or four times.Part of there territory is adjacent to the car park.

All I can say is ,if you've got some time on your hands arm yourself with a pair of binoculars(not forgetting the camera) a flask of coffee and a few sandwiches and get down there for your very own "Naturewatch"

I will be going back and hopefully with some decent light and a lot of luck I will eventually get the shots that I can keep

Colin

colper

Post by colper »

Well I was a bit reluctant to post any pics from Tuesday,but what the heck.As i've said before not the best quality but here goes

Whilst I was there yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Bryan Benn,whose knowledge on the birds at Capel is second to none.I will be putting some of the tips and information he gave me into practice over the coming months and hopefully I may end up with some images of the quality shown on his website

http://www.kentyeti.co.uk/owls-blog/owls-blog.html

Colin

colper

Re: Raptors go wild in Kent - - - more added 12-5-12

Post by colper »

Marsh Harrier on the prowl

Close shave

Dragon Rapide

Re: Raptors go wild in Kent - - - more added 12-5-12

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Stunning! Just keep going and keep posting. They are beautiful creatures.

Dragon Rapide