HDR @ NHM

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

HDR @ NHM

Post by Pen Pusher »

Yes it’s Marmite time. HDR, you either love it or loath it. If you loath it, click off now. You was warned.

Having closed in January 2017 for the removal of ‘Dippy’ the Diplodocus and the installation of ‘Hope’, a 25 meter long 126 year old Blue Whale skeleton, the Hintze Hall of the Natural History Museum reopened to the public on the 14th July 2017. On my last visit to the NHM, I found that if I exposed for the shadows I blew out the highlights and if I exposed for the highlights then the shadows were very, very dark. To get around this little problem I thought I’d try a bit of HDR with five images at different exposures, Photo Merged>HDR in Lightroom, to enhance the detail in shadows and control the highlights rather than going for the psychedelic, freaky, vomit inducing colours usually associated with HDR. Tripods are not allowed so all hand held and I think a return visit later in the year when the nights are drawing in and the lights are on.

Techie bit:- Sony A6300 + Sony E10-18mm f/4 OSS Lens. Manual settings. 5 bracket images @ +/-1.0ev, AF-S. 2 second timer. Silent shutter.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

speedbird2639

Re: HDR @ NHM

Post by speedbird2639 »

Great set, Brian.

That level of HDR is fine - it enables you to take a set of pictures that would've otherwise been quite compromised by the lighting available. As for people who do the 'clown puke' HDR they should have their cameras (or at least their computers) taken off them until they agree to behave.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Am I the only one who sniggered at the 7th picture..... :whistle:
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

superb use of hdr. . sometimes forget what on our doorstep

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Proper use of Bracketing. Lovely pictures.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

I do like these Brian, however, and this is probably peculiar to my eyesight, because there is so much detail all around sometimes the whale almost disappears into the background?

This is in no way a criticism of your technique Brian, which is superb, more an observation on my sight probably, does anyone else have the same effect?

I saw the program recently about this project which was a really good watch, and although I was one of those who initially thought it was bad idea to get rid of Dippy, I am now convinced it was a good idea, to be fair though I thought it was going to be replaced with the fibreglass example in the whale hall, which would have been far less impressive.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

A Classic Example of how to use HDR properly,Right Subject and amount. :clap:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Proper use of HDR. Well done that man.