Mike McEvoy

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
keithjs

Mike McEvoy

Post by keithjs »

I was informed tonight that Mike McEvoy passed away earlier today aged 85. I'm sure most people in our hobby and particularly the modelling side of it will know of him for his prolific modelling of What if subjects and his vast knowledge of aviation subjects worldwide.
He was a member of our local model club almost from day one and will be sorely missed. He was also chief of ATC at Greenham Common for the Air Tattoos back in the 80's too and is featured in RIAT's 50th anniversary book which he actually signed for me only recently. He also had his own column, Tailpeice in Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine. A true gent in every sense of the word.
...Rad shutters auto.

iainpeden

Re: Mike McEvoy

Post by iainpeden »

Really sad to hear this. I have known Mike for 40 years and regularly chatted at airshows and model shows. I last spoke to him at SMW at Telford in mid November when we chatted about his plan to go to Oshkosh next summer - along with Vulcans in SEA SAC colours, his love of cats and his pet cuddly toy!

Mike had flown hunters in the RAF and, i believe, he made a trip to Chile where his individual aircraft had been sold just to say “hello.”

Aircraft modelling is a great hobby around the world; in my opinion there were 4 people who really made the hobby so strong in this country. Alan Hall, Dick Ward, Dave Hannant and Mike; Mike was the last, Thanks Mate and blue skies.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021, 8:58 pm
Really sad to hear this. I have known Mike for 40 years and regularly chatted at airshows and model shows. I last spoke to him at SMW at Telford in mid November when we chatted about his plan to go to Oshkosh next summer - along with Vulcans in SEA SAC colours, his love of cats and his pet cuddly toy!

Mike had flown hunters in the RAF and, i believe, he made a trip to Chile where his individual aircraft had been sold just to say “hello.”

Aircraft modelling is a great hobby around the world; in my opinion there were 4 people who really made the hobby so strong in this country. Alan Hall, Dick Ward, Dave Hannant and Mike; Mike was the last, Thanks Mate and blue skies.
Yes, you're quite right. He brought all the photos of his trip down to the club one evening after he'd got back. Not sure whether he actually got around to building a model of it or not. I know he intended to.
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021, 8:58 pm
Aircraft modelling is a great hobby around the world; in my opinion there were 4 people who really made the hobby so strong in this country. Alan Hall, Dick Ward, Dave Hannant and Mike; Mike was the last,
I’d agree with that, but would also add Ray Rimmel to the list

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Martin H in a tribute thread running at the What If Modelers forum wrote a lovely piece about Mike, this in particular got me:
I last saw Mike as we where about to brake down the SIG stand at this years Scale model World. A show he was determined to be at as he was expecting the call from the hospital at any day to have a stent fitted.
In the run up to Telford he was terrified the NHS would call him in on the show weekend. He was very relieved to find out just days before the show that his surgery date was to be the end of the month.
I'm glad I got to spend a little time with him one more time, and watch the the joy on his face as he revelled in what was realy his element, being amoung fellow modellers..........
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Such sad news he was a real character. He wrote his last ‘tailpiece ‘ for SAM this month.

Blue skies Mike

TT

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Ah bad news indeed, A Gent, Met him only once but larger than life chap. Tailpiece was always the first read in the scale modelling mag.

No doubt he has flown a Hunter into Heaven and landed safely.

RIP Mike.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Fargo Boyle

Post by Fargo Boyle »

That's very sad news. I knew him from my time working for NATS at West Drayton. He was good company, went to Harlingen in 86 for the CAF airshow with him and two work colleagues, we had a couple of very entertaining evenings in the CAF bar! Blue skies and RIP Mike...

Geriatric

Post by Geriatric »

Mike was such a wonderful personality and as a volunteer, as we all were in those days, was running the Air Tattoo's ATC team when Duncan Simpson, also a volunteer, established our very first flying control committee back in the late 1970s. Clearly they enjoyed each other's company both being Hunter men and along with the rest of the volunteers helped put the Air Tattoo onto the World's aviation map.
Rest in Peace Mike

Tim