Johns field

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
W1lmaluvxx

Johns field

Post by W1lmaluvxx »

Hi all,has anyone got an idea when John’s field is open at mildenhall please?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Johns field

Post by UKTopgun »

Given the base is now hosting live operational missions I would be surprised if it's open at all now, but admittedly have no idea!

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 9:07 pm
Given the base is now hosting live operational missions I would be surprised if it's open at all now, but admittedly have no idea!
The base has been hosting live missions for the past 50+ years or more, so nothing different today that wasnt going on last week, month year etc

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

W1lmaluvxx wrote:
Thu 24 Feb 2022, 7:06 pm
Hi all,has anyone got an idea when John’s field is open at mildenhall please?
i think the field is open, but not the camping facilities at the moment

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

https://www.facebook.com/thenookcampsite/

Looks like it is open for viewing
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

NTG1610 wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 8:51 am
UKTopgun wrote:
The base has been hosting live missions for the past 50+ years or more, so nothing different today that wasnt going on last week, month year etc
Did anyone tell you the missions are a bit more significant now! All bases will be on heightened alert is my point.

W1lmaluvxx

Post by W1lmaluvxx »

Thanks for the information folks,looks like a day trip that way next week

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 10:41 am
NTG1610 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:
Did anyone tell you the missions are a bit more significant now! All bases will be on heightened alert is my point.
why would it make a difference? bases are always on alert and ready to go. Unless you are privy to a secret operations briefing room discussion, why would being in a field near an air base give any more information today than it did last week?
you can't see anything from Johns field that you can't get off google. if the bases start policing tighter that's another scenario, but there is no indication that is happening or going to happening

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

The reluctance of the Free World to get mired in the S**t-storm Putin has created would seem to indicate there will be no real increase in the 'normal' operational missions. To some extent a possible reduction due to multiple Lagr KC-135 AAR missions starting from & finishing to Ramstein AFB. Germany.
Sadly, if there was an easy fix short of WW3 I'm sure it would be underway by now? if you wanted the recent war missions, then you needed to be lurking around the USAF Bases during the Libyan Crisis, GW-1, GW-2 & the Balkan Conflict. They were SUCH great times! :lying_face:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 12:50 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 10:41 am
NTG1610 wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:
why would it make a difference? bases are always on alert and ready to go. Unless you are privy to a secret operations briefing room discussion, why would being in a field near an air base give any more information today than it did last week?
you can't see anything from Johns field that you can't get off google. if the bases start policing tighter that's another scenario, but there is no indication that is happening or going to happening
As I said, I have no idea if it will be open/stay open or not. Just would not be surprised if they tightened the security there that's all, in whatever form that might take.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Stagger2 wrote:
Fri 25 Feb 2022, 2:30 pm
The reluctance of the Free World to get mired in the S**t-storm Putin has created would seem to indicate there will be no real increase in the 'normal' operational missions. To some extent a possible reduction due to multiple Lagr KC-135 AAR missions starting from & finishing to Ramstein AFB. Germany.
Sadly, if there was an easy fix short of WW3 I'm sure it would be underway by now? if you wanted the recent war missions, then you needed to be lurking around the USAF Bases during the Libyan Crisis, GW-1, GW-2 & the Balkan Conflict. They were SUCH great times! :lying_face:
Yep. Fairford loaded with B-52s and B-1s staggering off loaded to the gunwales with ordnance (a B-1 operational takeoff is not like the airshow sprint!) and flatbed trailers sitting around in the open with rows of live low-drag bombs and cruise missiles laid across them. Knocking off almost the entire KC-10 fleet split between Fairford and Mildenhall for El Dorado Canyon.... Great stuff for spotters. No hassle from on-base security or MOD police. That's how free world democracies work.

(Incidentally I remember seeing childhood reminiscences of people like JDR Rawlings on about their notebooks full of e.g. Weybridge Hurricane serials straight off the production line in WWII. Now that's what I call spotting!)