Cosford Airshow 2022

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
G Morgan

Re: Cosford Airshow 2022

Post by G Morgan »

Thank you Tommy and Benji, your advice is much appreciated. I will see what the weather forecast is like to decide whether or not a 4-hour round trip is worthwhile. And fingers crossed for any last minute announcements that might tempt me further (as unlikely as that’s looking atm).

Quixoticish

Post by Quixoticish »

Where would be the best place to sell tickets? Some serious mental health rockiness means I am unlikely to make it so have two tickets for sale.

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

Morning all,

I too am a little concerned as to the length of the flying display. By my reckoning, that is only about 3 hours of a flying display, which does make me question where the 6 hour display the website marketing team claim is coming from?

Another aside; we know the aircraft arrive for static on Friday, are the rehearsals still on Saturday?

Cole

Post by Cole »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Sun 05 Jun 2022, 9:21 am
we know the aircraft arrive for static on Friday, are the rehearsals still on Saturday?
in theory that should be how it is, Im not sure theres enough to arrrive over 2 days atm though. Ill be there friday as i cant make saturday.

Usually rehersals are from 12is until around 3 in previous years.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Just rewatching the PlanesTV live stream from the last show, with the flying display including RAF Falcons, UAS Tutors and Tutor solo display, Tucano, Typhoon, DR107 aerobatics, Stearman, Mustang, Chinook, Sea Fury, Global Stars, Apache, RDAF Baby Blue, BBMF, Rapide, Jet Provosts, Pitts Special, Red Arrows Hurricane and Buchon, Belgian A109, Swdiss Hornet, Chipmunk Pair, Czech ALCAs, Spitfire, Whirlwind, German Orion and Czech Gripen. Makes you realise how poor the flying display for next week could be.

Cole

Post by Cole »

i mean other than the BBMF and the mustang there are no warbirds ! I Really am trying my hardest not to be dissapointed. But midlands airfest looks to be the better midlands show, besides foreign MIl. its really poor. Too bad i couldnt make it
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

So very quickly comparing the two… the first 7 in the 2019/2021 lists are roughly like-for-like so about 9 items down overall based on what we know (or what we think we know). Not as bad as I remember since last checking the participation list. Hopefully one or two late additions to the flying, but after the last two years I’m going to enjoy the day regardless.

Both shows:
1. BBMF
2. RAF Falcons
3. Red Arrows
4. Tutor
5. Typhoon
6. Belgian A109
7. Chinook
8. Mustang
9. Pitts
10. Chipmunk Pair

2022:
1. Belgian F-16
2. French Rafale
3. F-35B
4. Wasp
5. Catalina
6. Team Raven
7. Atlas (FP)

2019:
1. Swiss Hornet
2. Czech ALCA
3. Czech Gripen
4. Whirlwind
5. Sea Fury
6. Global Stars
7. German Orion (FP)
8. UAS Tutors
9. Tucano
10. DR107 aerobatics
11. Stearman
12. Apache
13. RDAF Baby Blue
14. Rapide
15. Jet Provosts
16. Hurricane and Buchon
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Cole

Post by Cole »

So we are missing another 1/3 of the flying display to get it to 6 hours.

Not to be pedantic, The German Orion was a full display! and god wasnt it amazing!

There are serious amounts missing this year that the organisers should be adressing but it feels like we are being swept under the rug to keep it quiet. Almost like they dont expect the public to realise that they brought a ticket for a 6 hour flying display and only got 4. and very little to walk around on the ground.
Dudley, West Midlands

Well Um..

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

G Morgan wrote:
Sat 04 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm
Sorry to ask this again, but I didn’t get any response last time (maybe because this is frowned upon - apologies if this is the case). I’m hoping to drive up to Cosford next Sunday, but didn’t manage to purchase a ticket before they sold out, so I was wondering if there are any park & view areas (as there are at RIAT) and what sort of times the flying display will start & finish roughly..
Albrighton bowling and football club is about as close as you can get. The price has gone up though, £30 a car with up to 4 people.£5 on foot for adults. You used to have to get there quite early before they shut the gates.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Slightly off topic but on the talk of Cosford naughty fields I've just had a memory come flooding back to me.

Some time in the mid 90's my Grandad was taking us to one of the Cosford fields to watch the airshow, I remember looking out of the window trying to spot things in the distance when all of a sudden he pulled over on the side of the road, opened the boot and put me, my larger brother and my sister in there to sneak us in without having to pay the 50p each (or whatever it was).

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Slight change on the FAQ. Flying time is now 5 1/2 hours apx and starts at Midday and not 11.30am

https://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/faq/
What time does the Air Show start?
Gates open to the public at 08:00. The flying display will begin at approximately 12:00.

What time does the Air Show finish?
The flying display will finish at approximately 17:30. The showground attractions remain open until 19:00.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I can't help but suspect that there must be a cashflow problem. Why else would certain items be in the static park that could be in the flying display, when the flying display is clearly not full?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Maybe, but then, they also sold out. So it depends on what percentage of that sellout is tickets rolled over from 2020.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I have to say although I understand people being concerned about big gaps in the flying display; the prospect of seeing the F-16, Rafale, F-35 and Typhoon this weekend is just incredible.

This time last year I was desperately hoping I might get to see the Typhoon at a seaside show- let alone at an international airshow, at an airbase, with a static display.

I'm ready for a great weekend. Maybe it won't compare to Cosford 2019, or 2018 - but it will be a hell of a lot better than any airshow I went to last year, and that is good enough for me, for now.

Good luck to the organisers.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 06 Jun 2022, 9:03 am
I have to say although I understand people being concerned about big gaps in the flying display; the prospect of seeing the F-16, Rafale, F-35 and Typhoon this weekend is just incredible.
Agreed. I’m looking forward to some decent fast jets, and the BAF A109 (helciopterbros reign supreme!). The latter doesn’t have long left (and hopefully in the Razzle Blades scheme!

You can have a “bad” Cosford or a “bad” RIAT, but those shows still be objectively good airshows.

JJC

Post by JJC »

I see the Blackjack is still around, is that still being used for the display?
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Yes it will be the blackjack Typhoon displaying at Cosford, subject to the usual's around serviceability etc,

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

And tentatively the weather's looking OK, fingers crossed.

Oh no, what did I just do?😬

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Curse the bleedin show, that's what you did!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

JMC

Post by JMC »

The one thing this show doesn't need is the weather to not play ball. Punters are a dubious as it stands, hopefully the gods above don't give them more ammunition.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Here’s a novel idea/ theory for you..

What if the Cosford display is going to have a significant jubilee themed section with an assembled flypast as its finale?

Given that the show is a sell out, as organisers you’d perhaps not want to broadcast the fact to deter what would or could otherwise be a sizeable naughty field crowd appearing..

That RAF Valley post from a week or two ago adds credence to something happening..

Just a theory ok. Don’t go losing your mind over it.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Thankfully you included the last sentence, I had my pitchfork at the ready to ask what you had been smoking :wink:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’d be lovely indeed.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

Bit frustrating on their Twitter promoting pilot patches looking good ,while only revealing limited flying display , I hope they are keeping something back but not convinced at the moment that it will be a positive outcome or just lots of gaps

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

bedfordshirevulcan wrote:
Mon 06 Jun 2022, 6:46 pm
Bit frustrating on their Twitter promoting pilot patches looking good ,while only revealing limited flying display , I hope they are keeping something back but not convinced at the moment that it will be a positive outcome or just lots of gaps
This is what’s annoying they have time for everything else just not what we might actually see at the show