Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Post by UKTopgun »

So it seems most on this forum are 100% in agreement the show should happen (unsurprising given its a site for airshows I guess). I take it these same people are highly critical of NI Airshow, Abingdon, and virtually every sporting fixture this weekend including all tiers of every football league and non league across all home nations. And I wonder if respects are so simply shown by Silence or a missing man or whatever it may be, rather than cancellation, are all these other events missing something?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 4:11 pm
So it seems most on this forum are 100% in agreement the show should happen (unsurprising given its a site for airshows I guess). I take it these same people are highly critical of NI Airshow, Abingdon, and virtually every sporting fixture this weekend including all tiers of every football league and non league across all home nations. And I wonder if respects are so simply shown by Silence or a missing man or whatever it may be, rather than cancellation, are all these other events missing something?
Gt5500 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 2:02 pm
The right decision is to give people the choice to attend or stay at home mourning. If they cancel the show then no one has the choice to attend which is not right.
I think some of the posters need to understand that for a very large proportion of the nation, the Queen's passing, whilst sad, is not in anyway life changing and they will plan to continue with their lives as they choose. People that will mourn for days are I suspect a very small minority.

And no, Hendon is open but I assume it won't be on the day of the funeral.
...Rad shutters auto.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

UKTopgun wrote:
I'm not critical of businesses doing what they think is right, no. If that's the choice that the organisers feel they want to make, that's up to them. Your criticism of Duxford and by extension, anybody who chooses to attend, extends beyond the reaches of expressing your own viewpoint, you're trying to school us on what's right and wrong.

Sorry, I don't have a moral obligation to mourn.

Edit: you could have answered your own question by checking the Abingdon thread, I'm not seeing pages and pages of angry airshow fans in there.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

UKTopgun wrote:
Jeez, when you bought your soap was it get one box free? You've made your point, you think everyone should go back to Victorian times and mourn for 25 years or whatever. Do you want everything on standstill until she is buried and for the 10 days after?

I'm sure everyone who attends Duxford this weekend will show all the respect necessary to the Queen, when asked to do so. Duxford are carrying on, Abingdon have decided to postpone, credit to each for doing what they feel is right in the circumstances. Lets move on.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

It's all academic now as it's happening, so I won't go around in circles any longer. My view is it should be cancelled for this weekend. I'm entitled to that, and frankly some of the derision that has been met with on here is distasteful.
You and others feel this event is not enough to warrant cancellation, although hundreds of organisations are doing just that this weekend.

IWM Duxford has links to the RAF obviously, so how football sees fit to change the calendar, with no obvious links to the Queen, and IWM does not, puzzles me that's all. As for hiding behind curtains or mourning for 25 years, come on, that's a bit silly isn't it.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The cricket is not cancelled, its starting again tomorrow.

The tennis is still going on in the USA, should the British doubles players stop playing?

The golf is restarting tomorrow.

Its not just Duxford.

Some are cancelling, a lot are carrying on, with respect.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JMC

Post by JMC »

I was thinking of going at the weekend, but just seen the ticket price. Get stuffed.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Right tickets ordered, decided to try out the park and ride... Hoping it won't be too much of an arse ache...

Has anyone used this ?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

JMC wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:05 pm
I was thinking of going at the weekend, but just seen the ticket price. Get stuffed.
Air show ticket is £45 which includes the entry price to the museum of £25 so you are only paying an extra £20 on top of the entry fee for the air show.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

JMC

Post by JMC »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:18 pm
JMC wrote:
Air show ticket is £45 which includes the entry price to the museum of £25 so you are only paying an extra £20 on top of the entry fee for the air show.
Regardless, it is still then massively overpriced especially if one has no interest in going into the hangers of which i've been in countless times.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

JMC wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:23 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:
JMC wrote:
Regardless, it is still then massively overpriced especially if one has no interest in going into the hangers of which i've been in countless times.
£20 is a massive overprice. Wow.
Doesn't matter if you go in the hangars or not, you are still entering the IWM Museum site.

DfG on Facebook

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Think of it as £1 per Spirfire. Where else in the world can you see that?
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

capercaillie wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:02 pm
The cricket is not cancelled, its starting again tomorrow.

The tennis is still going on in the USA, should the British doubles players stop playing?

The golf is restarting tomorrow.

Its not just Duxford.

Some are cancelling, a lot are carrying on, with respect.
And with those points you show just how fundamentally you misunderstand my argument. Referencing tennis in the USA! You forgot the tiddly winks world championships in Sweden. Just totally irrelevant! Shall we agree to leave it there, it's boring now.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:32 pm
JMC wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
JMC wrote:
Doesn't matter if you go in the hangars or not, you are still entering the IWM Museum site.
It's not just £20.00 though is it? It's £20.00 on top of what is an already excessive entry fee during a cost of living crisis. In other years I recall paying £29.00 for a ticket (I just check my emails and confirm this to be the case, 2017 mind).

Not to mention other costs travel, food etc...for a family you're looking at nearly £200+

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

JMC wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:02 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:32 pm
JMC wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:
JMC wrote:
It's not just £20.00 though is it? It's £20.00 on top of what is an already excessive entry fee during a cost of living crisis. In other years I recall paying £29.00 for a ticket (I just check my emails and confirm this to be the case, 2017 mind).

Not to mention other costs travel, food etc...for a family you're looking at nearly £200+
JMC, I hope you know PP hates people 'wingeing' / having an opinion (delete as appropriate) on this forum.
He much prefers you approach the relevant channels.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Pretty quiet today I thought, by previous standards, but not without its moments.

If only the Czechs had flown after that rain shower had cleared through. 😍
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Blimey this thread is just tiresome now...

I purchased my tickets tonight for me and my 2 kids, just under £70 for a day out for the 3 of us isn't bad really. The soul reason for me actually going is to see the Czechs, oh and cause Abbo was cancelled.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm

Did much fly after the rain? I decided to call it a day when the rain came

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 9:34 pm
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm

Did much fly after the rain? I decided to call it a day when the rain came
Staggerwings and Tiger 9 flew displays and there were a couple of Spitfires from Goodwood and the two-seat Hurricane arriving.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:07 pm
JMC, I hope you know PP hates people 'wingeing'
And whingers who can't spell whinging. :grin:

DfG on Facebook

darkman

Post by darkman »

UKTopgun wrote:
It's called freedom of choice
NI airshow cancelled as it's a poor show at the best of times. That and the lack of RAF assets left very little on the schedule. Why do you think they cancelled it?? Can't speak for Abington as I know nowt about it
Sports are governed by their respective sporting bodies so if the FA say no football then clubs dont have the choice. I would guess there are lots of football fans who would have happily attended games this week.
Respect can be shown in many ways individually and collectively. How you do yours is up to you. I'll be doing mine by attending Duxford enjoying an air show while I do so

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:57 am
UKTopgun

If you have a problem, which you clearly do, with the Duxford air show this weekend then take it up with the Trustees and Executive Board of IWM and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (which is a government body) who authorised the IWM to keep it's museums, all it's museums, open until the day of the funeral when they will close for one day instead of whinging about it on a web site/social media.
Oh dear, since you want to stoop to correcting spelling, I suggest based on the above post you are an apostrophe abuser, and a repeat offender at that 😂
Last edited by UKTopgun on Sat 10 Sep 2022, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

darkman wrote:
Sat 10 Sep 2022, 6:03 am
UKTopgun wrote:
It's called freedom of choice
NI airshow cancelled as it's a poor show at the best of times. That and the lack of RAF assets left very little on the schedule. Why do you think they cancelled it?? Can't speak for Abington as I know nowt about it
Sports are governed by their respective sporting bodies so if the FA say no football then clubs dont have the choice. I would guess there are lots of football fans who would have happily attended games this week.
Respect can be shown in many ways individually and collectively. How you do yours is up to you. I'll be doing mine by attending Duxford enjoying an air show while I do so
We've parked this discussion now as we're getting nowhere 👍 We each have our views, let's leave it at that.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I choose to not go to Duxford, haven't for years now, ticket prices, paying to park a car etc, and for me the " Duxford" magic went, quicker than a Harry Potter spell with it. However i hope all who go have a cracking day. I was going to Abingdon, but that's postponed, so be it. God save the king!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Anyone else enter the land warfare end and not have their ticket checked? The new entry and ticket system to go back to your car seems totally pointless if you’re already on the venue anyway