Camera Equipment - Prices

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
ikarus

Camera Equipment - Prices

Post by ikarus »

Is it just me , or is the price of new camera equipment going through the roof to ridiculous levels.

Just got an email in my inbox for an advertising blurb on a new camera - opening the link new Sony A1 body only £6,500 !!!!!

That's like buying a decent secondhand car.......

I was considering an upgrade from my existing DSLR at some point , but the more I look , I cannot justify the outlay - I don't use Sony ,
just using the above as an example .... surely that level of camera must be a niche market.

Not sure how some of these companies expect people to afford some of the bodies these days or the associated lenses , does anybody
else think the prices are going outside the realms of fantasy given the current worldwide pandemic situation and the number of folk
falling on hard times due to redundancy and other economic factors.

Pen Pusher

Re: Camera Equipment - Prices

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Sony A1 is aimed at professional photography/video makers.
Sony A1 Digital Camera Body Key Features:

50.1MP full-frame Exmor RS CMOS image sensor
Stunning 8K Video Footage at 30fps
10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling
Blackout- free continuous shooting at up to 30fps
15 stops of dynamic for stills & 15+ stops for video
Sensor readout enables up to 120 AF/AE
0.64-type 9.44 million-dot OLED Quad-XGA EVF
World’s first Electronic viewfinder with 240fps
Able to capture stunning 8K Video Footage
10-bit 4:2:0 XAVC HS video recording with 8.6K oversampling
Blackout- free continuous shooting at up to 30fps
Wide dynamic range of 15 stops for stills & 15+ stops for video
Anti-flicker shooting with both mechanical & electronic shutter
5-axis optical in-body image stabilization for a 5.5-step
Responsive rear LCD touch screen
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

Yep - I get that , but I find that to even enter the current up to date DSLR ranges or "mirror less" as a newbie or for any existing users upgrading who may look at switching brands , it is looking somewhat eye watering. A professional may get their investment back through work , but amateurs would need to be using some equipment pretty regularly to get their moneys worth out of any expenditure.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The prices of camera gear have absolutely shot up this year, at least for Canon which is as far as I've monitored it. Could be supply chain issues, exchange rate, who knows?

That Sony is top end pro-gear though, as Brian says.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

There was talk last year that Sony were going to release a top of the range sports orientated camera for the Tokyo Olympics. Hey-presto.

Ikarus
Have you thought of going second hand. A lot of my cameras I've got from Camera Jungle (others suppliers are available) and I've not had a problem with any of them them. Most are usually shop display models.
https://www.camerajungle.co.uk/cameras

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Berf

Post by Berf »

There has been little discounting due to shortage of supply at least for Canon stuff

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah my Dad's been waiting for the EF mount adapter for his Canon R since last September and its only just arriving today.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Nikon could be next to go under
Nikon’s operating loss for the April to September period of 2020 fell to a deficit of 46.6 billion yen (~$449 million), which is in stark contrast to the 17.5 billion yen (~$168 million) surplus the company reported in the same period of 2019. For the fiscal year ending in March of 2021, Nikon is expected to post a colossal 75 billion yen (~$720 million) loss compared to a surplus of 6.7 billion yen (~$65 million) in the previous fiscal year.

Ikegami, in an interview with Toyo Keizai, says that Nikon’s poor showing can be directly tied to its slow transition to mirrorless. While Sony has experienced nothing but huge growth, Nikon was too late to the game.

“I wasn’t afraid of conflict (with SLR cameras), but rather I wasn’t looking at the market calmly and objectively,” he says, translated from Japanese. “I was most concerned about how much the performance of the electronic viewfinder (EVF) can be improved, and the number of shots can be increased.”

Ikegami says that he was unconvinced that mirrorless cameras would be able to compete with the number of photos per battery that DSLRs could manage, saying that the 500 photos a mirrorless camera could capture did not look favorable compared to a DSLR’s 1000 shots.

“I was wondering if it would be accepted by… professionals and high amateurs,” he says.

Nikon says that its latest round of restructuring, including moving camera production out of Japan, is expected to reduce operating costs by 59% for the fiscal year ending in March of 2022.

However, as Toyo Keizai writes, it is not enough to reduce operating cost: Nikon must also turn sales around.
https://petapixel.com/2021/01/19/nikon- ... 720m-loss/

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Dont think so

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news ... r-nphototw
Are Nikon's fortunes finally turning around?
By Louise Carey 2 hours ago

The Nikon stock price is up almost 50% and it's sold a "record number" of mirrorless cameras – but is this enough?

Nikon

It can't be denied that Nikon has experienced some difficulties over the past few years. Even aside from the financial effects of the global pandemic that has affected every camera manufacturer over the past year, Nikon has also had to maneuver around its transition from focusing on DSLRs to mirrorless cameras.

While Nikon and Canon both released their flagship mirrorless cameras at the same time (the Nikon Z7 and the Canon EOS R respectively), Canon had already explored the interchangeable lens mirrorless camera market before with its EOS M mount. In contrast, aside from its compact camera range, 2018 was the first time that Nikon had shown any sign of pivoting away from DSLRs.
While the Nikon Z6 and Nikon Z7 were both competitive cameras, Nikon struggled to break open the mirrorless camera market, placing fifth in the market in 2019 for mirrorless sales. These difficulties were also compounded by the long term downward trend in DSLR revenue. Essentially, Nikon was selling less DSLRs, but wasn't selling enough mirrorless cameras to make up the shortfall.

We're seeing the effects of Nikon's struggles now, with factories in Japan being closed and the manufacturing being shifted to Thailand. We've also seen reports of Nikon expected a record $720M loss, which has been directly tied to its delayed move over to mirrorless technology.

However, it's not all doom and gloom! Fstoppers has recently reported on the latest Nikon financial results – and it looks like there could be some sun on the horizon for the imaging company. "Revenue has increased to ¥150.6B with a surplus of ¥9.9B, which equates to a 36% increase quarter on quarter."

In addition, Nikon Rumors has reported that Nikon's stock price has increased by almost 50% since 01 January – and by around 10% since Nikon announced its financial results on 04 February.

As an iconic camera manufacturer that has consistently produced excellent camera equipment, it's good to see that Nikon's fortunes are beginning to turn around. Plus, with news of new Nikon Z cameras coming at some point this year, there's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel for the imaging giant.
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Nikon 500mm pf
Tamron 150-600 G2