Prop blur on Mirrorless Cameras

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Disaster Area

Prop blur on Mirrorless Cameras

Post by Disaster Area »

Hi All,

I took my Sony A7R IV to my local GA airfield today as I hadn't used it for almost a year. I slowed the shutter speed right down as I usually do with my regular DSLR's and the image I've attached below is the result. Can anyone shed any light on why it has done what it has. I have numerous other images where the camera has 'bent' the propellor blades rather than blurring them!

Many thanks

Chris

ImageGAVGZ Jodel DR1050 Sicile by Chris Parsons, on Flickr

Rick

Re: Prop blur on Mirrorless Cameras

Post by Rick »

Hi Chris,

Looks like you were using the electronic shutter rather than mechanical shutter. Electronic shutter can give this sort of effect.
A guide to the pros and cons of each here https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/stories/ad ... c-shutter/

Cheers

Rick
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

I will admit that is a pretty neat effect.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

As Rick has said above, you need to use mechanical shutter. Scroll down link for Harvard prop images.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3692327?page=2
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY on Facebook
DUXFORDfotoGALLERY on Instagram

Disaster Area

Post by Disaster Area »

Thanks for your replies.

I was playing about with the silent shutter and had no idea that would affect the images so much. Needless to say I won't be using it again.

Chris

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

I only use the silent shutter for night photography. No one can hear what you are doing in the dark.

wallace

Post by wallace »

After a similar cock-up to yourself I make it a point to use the mechanical shutter for planes and the electronic shutter for everything else.
However, if the prop isn't turning, the electronic shutter works just fine, plus it's less wear and tear on the mechanical shutter.

I have been experimenting with a ND filter to drop the shutter speed down three stops to blur the props, trouble is it's pretty good at blurring everything else as well!

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I'm mulling over whether to make the expensive move to mirrorless and this thread does nothing to make that decision any easier.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Aquarious wrote:
Thu 14 Oct 2021, 11:09 am
I'm mulling over whether to make the expensive move to mirrorless and this thread does nothing to make that decision any easier.
I also got caught out with prop blur as you can see with the photo of the German Transall at Malta. All photos you see, upto and including the Turkish AF A400, were taken with a Sony A7c and Tamron lenses. I decided to buy the camera and lenses as an alternative to carrying my much heavier Canon equipment around with me, which paid off in the Malta heat. Broken down they fit in a Peak Design sling. Needless to say no problems at all as hand baggage.

It is an expensive move but it´s one which I have not regretted - not yet anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/tonybradley5043/?hl=de

Hope this helps you to make a decision.

wallace

Post by wallace »

Aquarious wrote:
My camera has a mechanical and Electronic shutter, I guess most other mirrorless cameras also have.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The Sony A6300 in work certainly has both.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

wallace wrote:
Thu 14 Oct 2021, 3:48 pm
Aquarious wrote:
My camera has a mechanical and Electronic shutter, I guess most other mirrorless cameras also have.
As does mine.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

The thing that worries me most is battery life. I can get by with a single battery on a days shooting including a full day at an airshow. Battery life for mirrorless appears much shorter than for a typical SLR. Is that a fair assessment?

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Aquarious wrote:
Sat 16 Oct 2021, 2:07 pm
The thing that worries me most is battery life. I can get by with a single battery on a days shooting including a full day at an airshow. Battery life for mirrorless appears much shorter than for a typical SLR. Is that a fair assessment?
Yes - or it is in my experience using a Sony A7iii. I'm not convinced that it switches itself off, as my Canon does. I always try ensure that I take my spare battery with me when I'm out for the day.

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 16 Oct 2021, 2:20 pm
Aquarious wrote:
Sat 16 Oct 2021, 2:07 pm
Yes - or it is in my experience using a Sony A7iii. I'm not convinced that it switches itself off, as my Canon does. I always try ensure that I take my spare battery with me when I'm out for the day.

Andy
Wandering around London I can get about 800 images from an NP-FW50 battery but at Duxford it's about half that. I can only put it down to the autofocus motors in the zoom lens eating up the power. I use Duracell replacement batteries as in the link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Premi ... B005AHVUQ6

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

That stacks up with my experience - around 400 at an airshow.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Thanks for the battery info guys. I probably won't make a decision until the New Year when I'm hoping to give myself a belated Christmas present.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that it's the EVF on mirrorless that chews through batteries, obviously don't have that on SLR.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 19 Oct 2021, 9:45 am
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that it's the EVF on mirrorless that chews through batteries, obviously don't have that on SLR.
Sony say that the A7III has a battery life of 610 shots when the viewfinder is used and 710 when the rear screen is used. I use the EVF more than the rear screen so have a custom button configured to turn the rear screen on/off so I don't have both on at the same time.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

That sounds like a good idea - all I have to do is figure out how to do it! 😊

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Slightly off topic, but a question about Sony mirrorless. When using the EVF and taking multiple shots do you get a black out between shot, so making it harder to keep focus on your subject. For example following a fast jet at an airshow, does the jet always stay in the viewfinder or does it black out or show the picture you've just taken.
Hope that makes sense
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

If you use the electronic shutter there's no blackout, because the shutter doesn't move.

There's still blackout with the mechanical shutter because there's still something physically moving in front of the lens elements and blocking the view.

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

cg_341 wrote:
Tue 19 Oct 2021, 6:21 pm
There's still blackout with the mechanical shutter because there's still something physically moving in front of the lens elements and blocking the view.
Even more slightly off topic, but that means that the picture taken by the camera is the one that your eye did not see ...
I let you think (philosophically speaking) about this one !

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Another conundrum. Battery from my last visit to London was showing at 1% on the rear screen but when I put it in the charger, it was at 27%.

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

I'll throw in my 1p reference battery charge on mirrorless cameras; On my Fuji XT-20, I used one battery shooting the whole day at Cosby. Okay, its not RIAT in terms of an all day flying display, but using it for all the ground attractions too meant I was shooting for 5ish hours. Coupled with the continous high burst mode I was photographing in during the flying display, I managed 500 photos, give or take, from the battery, with approximately 20/30% left on the battery. In short, it exceeded my expectations!

With these rough numbers in mind, I've purchased three spare batteries in total to sit in the camera bag, and I feel confident that they would last comfortably at a "full day" at an airshow.