RAW processing work flow

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Post Reply
Cliffair
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat 15 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

RAW processing work flow

Post by Cliffair »

After alot of ribbing i have turned to the dark side that is RAW... my copy of elements does not support the Canon 7D so at the moment im limited to using the Canon Digital processing professional software that came with the 7D. Does anyone have a suitable work flow I could try to get me started on this voyage of discovery...

Many thanks in advance

Cliff

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6693
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by Pen Pusher »

You could always convert the images to DNG then you can open them in any copy of Elements.

Due to the Sony sensor and Bionz processor, I've gone the other way and changed from RAW to Jpeg because the only way to tell the difference between the two is to go pixel counting. :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Cliffair
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat 15 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by Cliffair »

Pen Pusher wrote:You could always convert the images to DNG then you can open them in any copy of Elements.


Thanks Brian for the info... one question does converting the RAW to DNG loose information like JPEG?

Cliff

User avatar
Synthetic
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed 03 Sep 2008, 9:05 pm

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by Synthetic »

Which version of Elements do you have Cliff?

There are updates for Ver. 7 onwards that can be used for the 7D.

Cliffair
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat 15 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by Cliffair »

Synthetic wrote:Which version of Elements do you have Cliff?

There are updates for Ver. 7 onwards that can be used for the 7D.


I use Ver 7 but thought the update was only for Ver 8 upwards looking at the Adobe site :sad:

but would love to be proved wrong :biggrin:

Cliff

User avatar
glyn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon 29 Sep 2008, 3:38 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by glyn »

hi
version 7 does support the 7D.
glyn

ns_sherlock
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2010, 7:26 pm

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by ns_sherlock »

Pen Pusher wrote:Due to the Sony sensor and Bionz processor, I've gone the other way and changed from RAW to Jpeg because the only way to tell the difference between the two is to go pixel counting. :biggrin:

Wow, so Sony magic can make a JPEG more than 8-bit colour... :worship:

User avatar
wallace
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 4:32 am

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by wallace »

You could also do your RAW conversion using canon's DPP software. Not as many bells and whistles as ACR but it works and it was designed to work with Canon images. Oh and it's free!

User avatar
Lumix
Posts: 2034
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 10:41 am
Location: Burgess Hill, West Sussex

Re: RAW processing work flow

Post by Lumix »

wallace wrote:You could also do your RAW conversion using canon's DPP software. Not as many bells and whistles as ACR but it works and it was designed to work with Canon images. Oh and it's free!


Seconded! You can also transfer straight to Photoshop from DPP.

Post Reply