Updating a 6 year old DSLR

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
IP1960

Updating a 6 year old DSLR

Post by IP1960 »

Presently using a Canon 1100D purchased in 2013. Along with the 18-55 Kit lens, I also have a Canon 75-300 and Sigma 150-600 (C). Performs OK still but clearly lagging behind more recent Canon models. The longer lenses are largely used for aviation photography and little else.

An obvious path for me would be to move to for example, a 7D Mk II, adding perhaps a 100-400 Canon lens, with all my existing lenses continuing to be available to the new body. (May trade the Sigma in).

However, given that the Mk II is "discontinued" (although of course still available), and its successor STILL not announced, newer options such as (in particular) the Fujifilm XT-3 (plus 100-400 lens) look quite attractive, and of course then there is Sony, Panasonic, Nikon.....

I have no qualms about moving to - and learning - a new body/lens, but should I just stick with Canon as I know it?

With that last sentence I may well have answered my own question :biggrin: , but would be interested in the decisions made by others who have been in a similar situation.

flashman8

Re: Updating a 6 year old DSLR

Post by flashman8 »

one option would be to give yourself a budget, go to a dealer who has a range of makes in store and have a play.... :biggrin:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

flashman8 wrote:one option would be to give yourself a budget, go to a dealer who has a range of makes in store and have a play.... :biggrin:

Fair point - I could have quoted a budget, which is around £2.5K :smile: . I will be getting "hands-on", including a visit to the Photography Show at the NEC next week. Ultimately of course the choice will be mine, but was interested in the decisions others may have made faced with a similar situation, which may have led to an interesting discussion. I was obviously wrong :lol:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IP1960 wrote:Presently using a Canon 1100D purchased in 2013. Along with the 18-55 Kit lens, I also have a Canon 75-300 and Sigma 150-600 (C). Performs OK still but clearly lagging behind more recent Canon models. The longer lenses are largely used for aviation photography and little else.

An obvious path for me would be to move to for example, a 7D Mk II, adding perhaps a 100-400 Canon lens, with all my existing lenses continuing to be available to the new body. (May trade the Sigma in).

However, given that the Mk II is "discontinued" (although of course still available), and its successor STILL not announced, newer options such as (in particular) the Fujifilm XT-3 (plus 100-400 lens) look quite attractive, and of course then there is Sony, Panasonic, Nikon.....

I have no qualms about moving to - and learning - a new body/lens, but should I just stick with Canon as I know it?

With that last sentence I may well have answered my own question :biggrin: , but would be interested in the decisions made by others who have been in a similar situation.

i wouldn't let it being discontinued put you off if you have an eye for it. you can get them from players like wex and they are basically nearly new. my second nikon came preowned and is in every bit as good condition as my other one. worth considering