New equipment.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Airshowhammer

New equipment.

Post by Airshowhammer »

Me again, I have recently bought the D850 and Sigma sports 150-600 (used) which I have saved up for a while for and was wondering if the battery grip/ UV Filter is worth forking out on?

And also was wondering what XQD card size to go for, as my god they're pricey. Many thanks all :smile:

flashman8

Re: New equipment.

Post by flashman8 »

Battery grip is a must I think, but don't go with a UV filter............
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I agree, you don't need a UV filter. Regarding a battery grip, this is up to you. You have to ask yourself whether the camera will fit better in your hands, save you time swapping batteries vs the additional weight and price.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

UV or Not UV......that is the question. Whether it's worth sticking a clear inexpensive piece of glass on to the end of your expensive lens, or not.
For me, If it's clear and a reasonable quality, I use a Hoya, then it's worth sticking one on, in case the unthinkable happens and you smack the end of the lens. You can always change the filter, the end element is a little more expensive......

I use a Battery grip on my 70D, it's just easier for portrait shots and I find it easier to hold but yes, there is a weight issue, which brings me to my other tip. If you wear the camera around your neck all day, you may get issues later on. Try a shoulder strap, I use a Black Rapid, wouldn't go back.

Cards? I would always have at least 2x32gb against 1x64 just in case one fails.

HTH
Pat

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Pat Murphy wrote:..in case the unthinkable happens and you smack the end of the lens. You can always change the filter, the end element is a little more expensive.

That's why lens hoods were invented, and they're far more useful than a UV filter. :biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Pat Murphy wrote:UV or Not UV......that is the question. Whether it's worth sticking a clear inexpensive piece of glass on to the end of your expensive lens, or not.
For me, If it's clear and a reasonable quality, I use a Hoya, then it's worth sticking one on, in case the unthinkable happens and you smack the end of the lens. You can always change the filter, the end element is a little more expensive......

I use a Battery grip on my 70D, it's just easier for portrait shots and I find it easier to hold but yes, there is a weight issue, which brings me to my other tip. If you wear the camera around your neck all day, you may get issues later on. Try a shoulder strap, I use a Black Rapid, wouldn't go back.

Cards? I would always have at least 2x32gb against 1x64 just in case one fails.

HTH
Pat

Good advice Pat... After a full day shooting with a Canon 7D Mk2 (with battery grip) and a Canon 100-400 Mk2 lens in a strap around my neck all day - for seven straight days at Fairford last year for example - my back was giving me a telling off. Certainly considering a shoulder strap instead...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

tom tiger

Post by tom tiger »

Hi,

I've switched to a cheap shoulderstrap last year (Aliexpress thing) and wow, what a difference that makes (80D with grip and 100-400 Tamron and 70D with grip and 300mm F4). No more neckpain and shoulderpain at the end of the day. Pretty well made and won't break the bank, you can be done for under 5 pounds :-) Pretty good quality too (no plastics all metal).

Won't go back to my old neckstrap. :-)

Tom
"You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomtiger/albums

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thanks guy for all the advice, certainly makes an interesting read. Cannot wait to start using it!

Roll on the first show of the season!

58Hustler

Post by 58Hustler »

Always laugh at these posts.
The people asking the questions and the people replying tend not to post photos.
All the gear and NO idea...................

Nikon D850+expensive glass in the hands of a novice/gear whore=soft,incorrectly exposed images.

Old camera+decent glass in the hands of someone who knows how to read the light and hold a camera properly and delves into the menus=quality photos.
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

58Hustler wrote:Always laugh at these posts.
The people asking the questions and the people replying tend not to post photos.
All the gear and NO idea..

Nikon D850+expensive glass in the hands of a novice/gear whore=soft,incorrectly exposed images.

Old camera+decent glass in the hands of someone who knows how to read the light and hold a camera properly and delves into the menus=quality photos.

What an ignorant post. I’m sorry David Bailey.

Have I had a camera that i’ve used for 8 years and am now in a financial place to do so and in need of upgrade? Yes. Instead of taking the high-ground why don’t you give some constructive criticism instead. If thats what brings people joy let them spend money on it. Its not your money and if thats what makes them happy so be it. I’d rather make mistakes and learn from them in the long run. Well done your words don’t even make me want to touch the machine now. Moron.

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Me again, I have recently bought the D850 and Sigma sports 150-600 (used) which I have saved up for a while for and was wondering if the battery grip/ UV Filter is worth forking out on?

And also was wondering what XQD card size to go for, as my god they're pricey. Many thanks all :smile:

I have been using a D850 for a couple of years.

Firstly look for 2nd hand XQD on ebay,you will save around 40% , as most are bought for overseas trip and sold off on return, from experience the smallest of use is 64gb, as the D850 eats them up! I have 3 x 128GB and 1 x 64GB.

As for grips, look for the copy ones on ebay, between 40-60 compared to over 300 for the Nikon one. You can then get the larger batteries which will give you 9 FPS.

PM me if you need anymore info, and enjoy the D850 :clap:

harkins

Post by harkins »

I agree. It's the same with people who buy cars and can't even drive like Lewis Hamilton. Why don't they just walk? And then all those football whores who buy Adidas football boots and run around parks on Sunday mornings and yet aren't anywhere near as good as Messi. Why the hell do they bother I wonder. They should just play in their socks. In fact. they'd be better off sitting at home watching TV and accepting that they're not good enough to even bother having a hobby to enjoy. And if they really insist on taking photos of airplanes in their spare time then why don't they just get one of those disposable things from Boots. Twats!

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

harkins wrote:

I agree. It's the same with people who buy cars and can't even drive like Lewis Hamilton. Why don't they just walk? And then all those football whores who buy Adidas football boots and run around parks on Sunday mornings and yet aren't anywhere near as good as Messi. Why the hell do they bother I wonder. They should just play in their socks. In fact. they'd be better off sitting at home watching TV and accepting that they're not good enough to even bother having a hobby to enjoy. And if they really insist on taking photos of airplanes in their spare time then why don't they just get one of those disposable things from Boots. Twats!

Post of the day. :lol:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Arno 01 really appreciate that will DM you have I need any tips! :biggrin:

And Harkins :grin:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

harkins wrote:

Post of the month for me :lol: Oh and Hustler....No I won't have a rant, it's not worth it. Have a nice day all :smile:

58Hustler

Post by 58Hustler »

I rather think your'e missing the point here.
The statement holds true that the people who post in this section tend not to post any photos,whilst those that do seem less concerned with equipment.
I am not ignorant,nor do I consider myself a moron.
Another point to consider.There are numerous photographers far superior to me.and the reason for this is NOT because they have Nikon D850s.
I'll get me coat.................
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'm not sure who's missing the point here. There's no doubt that some of what you said holds true as I'm sure everyone accepts that without the talent whether innate or learned you can't be good at something by simply having the best equipment.

However, your post just came across as a bit nasty and uncalled for. I've seen some of your photos and they're excellent and I'm unaware what camera you have, so I don't know, perhaps you're a tad jealous? I have to admit that I had no idea what a D850 was until I just looked and it's certainly an expensive bit of high end kit.

Regarding the point about people offering advice whilst not posting their photos on here. I'm not sure why that is at all relevant. The way I see it is that quite a few people who post on here (apart from being very good) are perhaps as much motivated by the fact that they seem to amazingly know exactly where and when a helicopter is going to pop up in the middle of the countryside or because they appear to be able to get in the back of an Eastern European transport plane that has half a dozen tiger schemed fighters around it. I'm not so sure it's purely because they're quite good with a cheap camera. I don't post because a. I'm not that good and b. because where and when I get to see military aircraft flying, I'm usually amongst hundreds or even thousands of people taking the same photos, so I deem them not especially interesting to anyone but myself.

Finally, I don't offer camera advice as I have none but, I have appreciated things I've read in here regardless of the posters photo content. For the record, I have an imported Canon 7D mkII which replaced my third hand 7D mkI and I'll admit that it hasn't really made any notable difference to my photos.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

You can own and use the most expensive gear in the world, but if you have no idea how to get the bets from it then why bother...... :biggrin:

Its all about the person behind the camera......... :wink:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

flashman8 wrote:You can own and use the most expensive gear in the world, but if you have no idea how to get the bets from it then why bother...... :biggrin:

Because you enjoy it? Photography isn't just about the end result, I think some people are forgetting that.

If you can afford expensive equipment, then go for it, true it won't make you a better photographer in most cases, but who cares? All I'd say is for aviation photography put your money in the lens over the body, as in most cases you'll be shooting in good light so ISO noise is less of an issue.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

flashman8 wrote:You can own and use the most expensive gear in the world, but if you have no idea how to get the bets from it then why bother...... :biggrin:

This is something that gets trotted out in all sorts of disciplines and its just not true. Obviously a rudimentary understanding of equipment is important (where is the shutter button?), but I think these days the quality and automation of camera equipment makes photography so easy. With image stablisation, and auto ISO - even panning shots are hard to get wrong.

I genuinely believe that as long as you understand the function of ISO, aperture and shutter speed virtually everything else in aviation photography is down to the money you spend on gear.

:hide:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:

This is something that gets trotted out in all sorts of disciplines and its just not true. Obviously a rudimentary understanding of equipment is important (where is the shutter button?), but I think these days the quality and automation of camera equipment makes photography so easy. With image stablisation, and auto ISO - even panning shots are hard to get wrong.

I genuinely believe that as long as you understand the function of ISO, aperture and shutter speed virtually everything else in aviation photography is down to the money you spend on gear.

:hide:

i believe there is some truth in this. firstly, the most important element of it is understanding how to use the camera. then there is also understanding the subject and it's environment.

beyond that gear is quite important in this game. outside of learning how to use my camera, my photographs with a 70-300 were better than those on my 18-55. then from that, my photos on my 150-600 are better than those on the 70-300.. if i was to buy even better glass, i would imagine my images would be better than they are now.

it's all part of the same thing. You can do a lot with cheap gear if you understand the technical elements, but in some cases, like aviation you need to spend on some elements of gear to maximise your skills.

DrBenR

Post by DrBenR »

I was lucky to pick up a 105 mm Polaroid filter on Amazon UK for £14.99, which seems a good price to protect the end of my 150-600 Sport, plus I don't noticed much difference in image quality. Sigma ones were around the £120 (protector and UV) and £180 - £200 for the circular polariser :sad:

Luckily picked up the lens plus the TC-1401 1.4 teleconverter for £1199 at Cameraland in Cardiff about a year ago (currently £1389), which saved me about £200 included diesel and bridge tolls!

Ben R

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

58 Hustler was right.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Airshowhammer wrote:And also was wondering what XQD card size to go for, as my God they're pricey.

You can say that again! I've got two Lexar 32GB, 210MB/s. Think that's going to have to do.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

Keep an eye on Amazon UK and Amazon US for genuine Sony XQD cards (only the ones sold by Amazon directly, not the marketplace sellers).

I've just picked up a 64GB card for £128 delivered from the US including all import fees. Now sitting at around £133 but still way cheaper than a bricks and mortar store.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I2NR9U0

I'm wary of buying cards from marketplace or ebay sources due to the possibility of fake cards. I rely on these cards so I'm reluctant to risk losing images by cheaping out on a card....