Flickr - 1000+ photos = subscription: 10 months on.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
harkins

Flickr - 1000+ photos = subscription: 10 months on.

Post by harkins »

It's creeping towards a year since Flickr changed to the subscription model and in that time I have put off making a decision on whether to ditch using it or give them £50 (and upwards) a year for the rest on my days. This last week I've finally chosen and edited about 100 photos from this year’s Air Tattoo and a couple of other trips out and to upload all these will take me past the 1000 photo limit of a free account.

I’m stuck between liking its layout and its shareability and disliking paying out indefinitely to host around an extra 100 photos each year (in a good year).

Just wondering what others have done since this change was introduced. Oh and I read a comment somewhere that the lack of RIAT photo posts on UKAR this year was in some part attributable to Flickr’s subscription change – i.e. a lot of users ditching the platform. Any thoughts on that?

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Flickr - 1000+ photos = subscription: 10 months on.

Post by Blackbird »

FWIW, I bit the bullet and now pay the subscription.

Andy :smile:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I 100% put a drop in photo threads down to Flickrs change of tact, I wont pay the extra £50, I’ve much more important things to pay for.

I made a new flickr account to upload my pics but only so they can be submitted for UKAR reviews & features
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I haven't seen any noticeable drop in the number of photos either I nor the people I follow upload. Perhaps that's because I follow people who photograph more than just aircraft in sunny skies at airshows, who knows.

Is it worth the nearly £50? Once I take in to account the web hosting, and the time it'd take me to design and test a website, the re-uploading of all my photos, categorising, marketing, etc. then yes, it's worth it. By a factor of 100 it's probably worth it.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Well I guess in just three replies I have learnt that it's very subjective and personal based on amongst other things, interests, prolificness, expendable income and priorities.

I guess I pretty much fall into the "aircraft in sunny skies at airshows" camp (which sounds like a very barbed comment) and the few people I follow tend to fall into that category too (probably because we share the interest of aircraft and airshows).

So I'm no further forward really. I either spend about two grand to host my photos in a convenient fashion that I like until I'm dead and buried, or I keep them on a hard drive and forgo the typically 10 views my photos receive. Still undecided.

Draken

Post by Draken »

I used to have quite large collection of pictures on Picasa (google service) few years back, but when they changed all the regulations I decided to move to Flickr.
Now, having over 5k pics there, it would be hard just to lose them all, so it was rather easy step to continue with Pro account. Especially that it's my only online storage for my photos (not only aviation related).

wallace

Post by wallace »

I'm a long time Flickr member, roughly 24,000 pics. Certainly Flickr isn't the same now as it was, the community had been lost but it's is still a very good way of hosting ones photos. 100% completely free from the influences of screeners! ;)

The way I see it is this - a picture that taken but never shared/seen may as well never have been taken in the first place.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

wallace wrote:I'm a long time Flickr member, roughly 24,000 pics. Certainly Flickr isn't the same now as it was, the community had been lost but it's is still a very good way of hosting ones photos. 100% completely free from the influences of screeners! ;)

The way I see it is this - a picture that taken but never shared/seen may as well never have been taken in the first place.

What's a screener?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I use Google Photo albums held together by a wix website, none of which costs me anything. I'm happy with the quality and for a small investment with WIX I could turn it into a much more professional site. See link in signature
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

I've been using Flickr for years, and have always paid the Pro subscription, no skin off my nose re the changes almost a year ago. It's a great site for hosting pictures, the community side of it has certainly dropped, and the number of daily views on my photos has dropped from around 6,000 down to nearer 3,500 but that is no calamity.

For me, I use it purely to be able to show friends/family my photos and I do get a fair amount of traffic from various companies/agents wanting my permission to use them free of charge, which they always get :-)

£50 or whatever isn't a huge sum for a year's subscription for what I get out of it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i originally got flickr as a base to store my images to link back to my wordpress blog. over the years this has advanced and i have a lot of images still on flickr.

for me it was easier to pay for a subscription to store them. i can use flickr to link them to my website, share them on instagram and twitter etc. its an easier process to use it for social media than through my own webhosting.

in terms of the site itself. apart from dropping the yahoo login i haven't really seen any improvements to it which has got me considering whether i drop it going forward.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

i've been paying £50 per year for my Zenfolio site. currently over 30,000 photographs on there, and ill keep it until i shuffle off the mortal.

I also back up on 3 x 5tb hard drives kept separately.
more than happy with the service despite not getting much traffic (visitors).
Got to love Russianhardware

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:i've been paying £50 per year for my Zenfolio site. currently over 30,000 photographs on there, and ill keep it until i shuffle off the mortal.

I also back up on 3 x 5tb hard drives kept separately.
more than happy with the service despite not getting much traffic (visitors).

i think thats the thing for me. if you wanted unlimited space to store stuff online elsewhere, it would be at least 50 quid a year. but sites like flickr give you an additional functionality.
less than 5 quid a month is nothing to have an effective offline backup of that amount of images

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

It is £50 now so what wil l be be when you and a couple more 1000 stuck onto flickr and they have you over a bigger barrell. I did not sign up. they can delete what the want and I have my shots on hard drives anyhow so they are safe and sound out of this clould malarky.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Georgeconna wrote:I have my shots on hard drives anyhow so they are safe and sound out of this clould malarky.

Worth checking your drives against this: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... s-q2-2019/

harkins

Post by harkins »

Interesting responses and I am now leaning towards coughing up for a years subscription. I must say that I only really see Flickr as an online photo album for displaying my better and favourite photos, not as a method of backing up. I keep all my original photos on a pair of external hard drives as my main method of backing up. Half of what's on them though is out of focus or blurred shots or very poorly exposed or those pointless shots I just can't help take, the ones where the aircraft is probably about 5 miles away and at 10'000 ft. I just can't bring myself to either resist pressing the shutter at the time or deleting them later on. A mental illness I suppose.

Still think that Flickr could have maybe by now have made a couple of improvements here or there. As far as I can tell beyond links to buy prints and photobooks, nothing has changed at all since last November.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

harkins wrote:Interesting responses and I am now leaning towards coughing up for a years subscription. I must say that I only really see Flickr as an online photo album for displaying my better and favourite photos, not as a method of backing up. ...

I'm always amazed at people who complain about the loss of a free back-up location, or worse their sole storage location! You expect a service that you aren't even paying for to last forever? Don't expect any service, paid or not, to last forever.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I'm always amazed at people who complain about the loss of a free back-up location, or worse their sole storage location! You expect a service that you aren't even paying for to last forever? Don't expect any service, paid or not, to last forever.

100% agreed. I don't use Flickr as a back-up either, a point I forgot to mention in my earlier post.

Andy :smile:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

ErrolC wrote:
harkins wrote:Interesting responses and I am now leaning towards coughing up for a years subscription. I must say that I only really see Flickr as an online photo album for displaying my better and favourite photos, not as a method of backing up. ...

ultimately you are right, any storage is going to cost you

i think the gripes from a lot of people who have used flickr for a number of years and have not seen any investment in it, no improvements and then all of a sudden they are expected to pay for a service that offers less than others.

as a free service it was a great site, as a paid version it isn't quite worth the money.

i've paid because it is so intrinsically linked to my website, so until i can find the time and inclination to move everything its worth the few quid a month it costs

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

Yes, I plan to transition to self-hosting (on a cloud service with my own domain), but this is a much more viable option than when I started using Flickr in 2006! Getting fibre at home a few months ago also made proper cloud backups practical.
Like I suspect many here, the sunk investment in embedded photos on forums makes me more reluctant to close the account.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

ErrolC wrote:Yes, I plan to transition to self-hosting (on a cloud service with my own domain), but this is a much more viable option than when I started using Flickr in 2006! Getting fibre at home a few months ago also made proper cloud backups practical.
Like I suspect many here, the sunk investment in embedded photos on forums makes me more reluctant to close the account.

this is exactly where i sit.

i have a website and domain with storage for 100gb which is far more than i need. i don't want to have to go through 5 years of blogs and repopulate them with images as it will take months and ill end up having to pay for another year anyway until that full transition has taken place

wallace

Post by wallace »

tankbuster wrote:
wallace wrote:I'm a long time Flickr member, roughly 24,000 pics. Certainly Flickr isn't the same now as it was, the community had been lost but it's is still a very good way of hosting ones photos. 100% completely free from the influences of screeners! ;)

What's a screener?

Just in case you are not a) taking the pi55 or b) an innocent creature, a Screener is a person that makes sure a prospective photographer obeys the rules that are tacit and implicit for the operation of a photo web site and by inference imposes their will on a photographer
A Screener, in my own opinion and experience knows nothing about the real world of photography.

You may deduce that I don't have a high opinion of screeners (I know, I used to be one...but I'm all right now) and neither do I I a high opinion of "smart Alecs" either.

Draken

Post by Draken »

A Screener, in my own opinion and experience knows nothing about the real world of photography.

Well, thanks for that ;) (JP screener for 6y).

Nobody forces anyone to upload pics to specific sites with guidelines and rules. If you don't want to follow them, just don't use the site. As simple as that. All the hate and complaining is just wrong.
Cheers!

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Draken wrote:

Well, thanks for that ;) (JP screener for 6y).

Nobody forces anyone to upload pics to specific sites with guidelines and rules. If you don't want to follow them, just don't use the site. As simple as that. All the hate and complaining is just wrong.
Cheers!

Wheres the Hate?, Christ you're a bit Sensitive aren't you. The chaps has just voiced his opinion dude.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

wallace

Post by wallace »

All a screener knows is how to follow the site rules. This encourages others to follow those rules and before you know it those inane sets of rules are a matter of institutional fact among the aviation photographers. This is wrong. It stifles creativity and institutionalises a what is a creative endeavour.

Aviation photo databases are pure poison with their rules. That's where Flickr (and ones own web sites ) come in to the fore, offering total freedom from such databases, with freedom to do ones own thing and not live in fear of displeasing screeners, who are themselves victims of the system.

"Photography has no rules, it is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it is achieved."
Bill Brandt