Canon 5DIII with Canon 100-400 L II USM

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
alans895

Canon 5DIII with Canon 100-400 L II USM

Post by alans895 »

Just returned from an RAAF Air Show at Edinburgh, South Australia and really disappointed with my images.

It has caused me to re access my photographic techniques.

Firstly, with the Canon 100-400 mm L USM II, should I use Mode 2 or 3 for flying subjects (IS)?

Secondly when shooting aircraft in formation, what focus points/ grids do you recommend?

I have never tried the Back Focus button, but have just watched youtube videos on assigning this function to a rear button. Excuse my ignorance, but if using back focus, can you still use multi point focusing?

Lastly should I go A1 focus or A1 Servo.

Thank you in Advance.

Alan https://flickr.com/photos/42266440@N03/49076742491/in/album-72157711745962211/

GeorgeP

Re: Canon 5DIII with Canon 100-400 L II USM

Post by GeorgeP »

G'day Alan,

would you please set your Flickr account so that your camera settings are visible.

1. Click on your avatar.
2. Settings>Privacy and Permissions>Global Settings>Hide your exif data?>No

Being able to view the settings that you used will allow forum members to give informed views about what may have caused the problems.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

Just stick it on auto. And read the instruction book.

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

Hi Alan I used this camera/lens combination for a while and used these settings:

AI Servo mode (very important as AI Focus is rubbish)
IS Mode 3 (the IS only kicks in at the last moment when you press the shutter, which can help to keep the target stable when focusing)
AF Point Expansion with 8 surrounding points (I found the lens to hunt quite a lot in some of the other modes especially when also using a lens extender)
Back button focusing (took a couple of shows to get used to it and I'm still not sure if I prefer it or indeed if I'm using it properly but it has become habit)

I continued to use these settings even as I upgraded my kit as they worked for me. There's lots of very nice shots on your Flickr, I understand the desire to keep improving your technique but it doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong to me. We all shoot bad shows from time to time, was there anything in-particular you were disappointed about? But I agree it would help to see more of your settings.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

^^^ What he said.

I just want to add that without the EXIF info it's difficult to pinpoint the problem. What shutter speed were you using and were you using single shot or burst mode? I'd recommend burst mode particularly for any shots with a slow-ish shutter speed i.e. if using 400mm then anything less than 1/400. Or like me just use burst for everything, then you're bound to get one decent shot! :grin:

EDIT: are these straight from the camera, any post processing? I reckon a lot of them would benefit from some sharpening.

alans895

Post by alans895 »

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks George. Hopefully the MD/ EXIF data is available to view now.

alans895

Post by alans895 »

Thanks also to Big_Gareth and others who have replied.

The images posted on Flickr have been sharpened and processed firstly in LR, then PS.

I'll give the Back Focus a run in preparation for next years RIAT.

RAAF Edinburgh was like a 'dust pit' with very high winds and shooting in the afternoon glare/sun.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42266440@N03/49109042428/in/dateposted/

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

You need a minimum F stop of F8, and Shutter speed 1/640th. You put the Camera settings in Manual and use Auto ISO. It should not go higher than 400ISO in nice light. Having F8-F10 will give you nice definition in a group of aircraft flying by.

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

Also looking through your photos, you have been subjected to our fantastic Australian heat haze, which will give you nice images which appear to be blurry. There is nothing you can do about that at all.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Brenden might be onto something with his theory about heat haze but don't rule out other reasons. You may also wish to alter your lens' IS settings and hand-holding technique to determine whether one, or both, may be contributing to the unacceptable sharpness.
Others on this forum may be more familiar with your kit but I would recommend that you only use the "Panning" IS setting for airshow photography. I believe that it IS is un-necessary (perhaps even counter-productive) if used with fast shutter speeds. Apologies if you already know this, but I would also suggest that when photographing an aeroplane in flight, do not stop panning when you release the shutter; continue following the aeroplane for a short time after the image has been taken.

I have also had a quick look at your nice images from Edinburgh and Avalon. In most cases, the out-of-focus problem appears on images for which you used a shutter speed of < or = to the focal length (FL). Almost all the images taken at a shutter speed of > or = to twice the FL are pretty good. I have similar images to yours of the F-22, KC-135 and C-2 arriving at Avalon on that hot Monday 25th (we must have stood with 3m of one another) and none my images show this problem, so it is unlikely that it was caused by the ambient weather conditions. I was shooting with a 6D Mk 1 and a 100-400L Mk 1.

Hope you sort it out soon. Good luck and hope to meet you at one of the forthcoming shows.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Sorry, 58 y.o. brain fade.... :oops: I forgot to add this:

I have programmed the C1 and C2 detents on the LHS dial of the 6D to the settings that I prefer for jets and props, respectively. C1 is ISO400, Shutter Priority, S/S=1/1600, +1/3 EV and C2 is ISO100, Shutter Priority, S/S=1/320, +1/3 EV. These settings are good for a sunny day. If there's bright overcast, I change the over-exposure for both to about +1 1/3 to + 1 2/3. If you find that the day is very bright and the auto-selected aperture is becoming too small and approaching the diffraction limit aperture, just manually bump up the S/S, or reduce ISO, and that'll open the aperture. I believe the 5D III has three C-settings, so plenty of scope for you to experiment.

This set-up allows for quick changes to accommodate jets and props without having to muck around with S/S and aperture during the flying display. If a jet follows a prop, just one click of the dial (C2 to C1) prepares the camera. Except when you turn the dial the wrong way.... to the Bulb setting as I did this year at Oshkosh. Best pure-white frame that I've ever taken. :wink: :lol:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.