How should i price my photos?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
rockfordstone

How should i price my photos?

Post by rockfordstone »

Hi all, hopefully, this is the right place to post this question.

Earlier this year I was at Duxford shooting some warbirds and a chap was having a pleasure flight in one of the classic wings Spitfires.

I have recently been contacted out of the blue by the gentleman who was in the plane I was shooting, who found my images on Flickr (i know, who uses flickr) and he wants to buy some off me.

We have had some preliminary discussions about what he wants and essentially he wants several high res digital images which he wants to use to make prints for himself and family so they can remember the day.

I don't usually sell my images (mainly because i don't rate myself worthy of selling them) so don't have experience of price setting. I don't have to pay a fee for the field access and all my gear is paid for, so my gut is telling me in this instance that i should be basing it on my time at the field and editing, my heard is thinking something around the £20-25 an image mark.

Is this the right course of action to take in this instance where it is a non-commercial use? am i likely to get any flack from Duxford/Classic wings if i do sell them for this guys personal use?

Any advice that can be offered would be great. Thanks in advance.

Berf

Re: How should i price my photos?

Post by Berf »

It's Christmas just send them to him on the proviso they do not go anywhere else.

Maybe he can do you a favour in the future..

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I'd give it to him, season of goodwill and all that. I have given away lots of pictures but I know some people get upset about that but I see it as my hobby and if my hobby includes giving people pictures why should I be stopped from doing so.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Berf wrote:It's Christmas just send them to him on the proviso they do not go anywhere else.

That's what I was going to say.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Ewart

Post by Ewart »

At best I'd be like, oh you can buy me a beer if we are ever at the same event.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I wouldn't have the heart to take any money either.

I did get bitten on the bum with a very similar situation once though, at Barton, where I was photographing a Tiger Moth pleasure flying there. A punter got out very happy and excited, and asked me if I had any pics with him in the aeroplane, so I showed them to him on the camera screen, and offered to forward a couple if he gave me his email address. There followed an absolute stream of requests for different sizes and resolutions and angles, took me ages. Still, he was happy and excited :grin:

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

I've been 'both sides of the table' on this one.... happily supplied some photos to various people who have had flights, and managed to get some shots from a chap from a flight I was in..... no money changed hands, and everyone was happy...…

Cheers
Alisdair

Edited: I agree with DerekF below, that magazines/books/etc should be paying - they are a commercial operation. Always happy to provide photos free to aircraft owners, charities/societies (the likes of preserved railways, Shuttleworth, etc)
Last edited by alisdairanderson on Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Personally I never ask for money for my photos but if asked I have suggested they could make a donation to the local Air Ambulance if they wish to do so. That is always appreciated and I never suggest an amount though, I just leave it up to them.

I've had photos published in various books and had one or two complimentary copies as a thank you and likewise Air Britain used a photo of mine for the cover of their UK Civil Register in 2019 and a complimentary copy turned up in the post unexpectedly - a nice memento and gesture.

I have been asked for canvasses of some of my photos and on those occasions I do ask for the cost price of the canvas except where I've been offered something in exchange such as a flight to get some aerial photos. I also donate a few canvasses as auction prizes for charitable functions (not just aircraft), they are always appreciated.

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

My rule is generally if it's for personal use then I'd give the photo away free of charge but if it's a commercial organization then I would charge, depending how it was to be used.
For photos to be published it depends on the book or magazine, sometimes a free copy is enough.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

this has now been resolved, he insisted on paying me for them so we came to an arrangement where I get something and he gets a nice set of pictures to remember his day without being ripped off.

cheers for your thoughts