2020 drone laws

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Canon

2020 drone laws

Post by Canon »

Hi,

Just stumbled upon the new EU drone laws for 2020.
I was wondering if anyone knew any more details such as cost of registration for a drone under 250grams with a camera? Also, if you register it in England, would it be OK to use it all over the EU?

Thanks,
James
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Re: 2020 drone laws

Post by Ian G »

This link may help. Also, the EASA website states:

The new European drone rules will come into force as of 1st July 2020. More detailed information on how to best comply with the rules, for example on how to register as a drone operator in your country, will be made available beginning of 2020.

I may be wrong but I thought that even when these new rules come in to force, you still register in your respective country and you are allowed to fly in the EU. Thus, if your total drone weight (inc camera) is under 250g you do not need to register and pay the useless CAA fee.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Rich.B

Post by Rich.B »

£9 if over 249gr.

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

I'm non-plussed about the registration fee and operator / flyer registration etc as in the grand scheme of things it's tiny.

I'm much more interested in whether the CAA alignment with these new rules will affect the current requirement for PfCO and whether it disappears entirely. The approach at the moment of several days of training courses followed by a practical exam is a very expensive route to commit to.