Selling licence rights to pictures

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Mooshie1956

Selling licence rights to pictures

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I've had a someone asking to use one of my photos,and want to pay me for it under licence or give me the final item it will be used for. So what does this all mean, I honestly didn't expect this to happen to me.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

nighthawk999

Re: Selling licence rights to pictures

Post by nighthawk999 »

Does this help?
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguid ... age=Advice

I think you should charge them for it,unless the item is worth more to you.

Tonka 617

Post by Tonka 617 »

The main thing to consider is, how much do you value your time? What's the image going to be used for? If its commercial to promote something then charge more, as they will be making money from the use of your photo.

I had a photo of mine used at EICMA bike show in Milan at the end of 2019 by a brake manufacturer - it was being used to promote their brake pads which were used by a rider I worked with, who became British Champion. I charged them £300 for the image. On the other hand I've had teams and riders want photos for social media, which I charge around £20 per image

Never sell yourself short at the thought they may say no, there is a reason they are asking to use your work, so make them pay.

But as nighthawk says - is the final product something which will be worth more to you than a one off payment? A rider had a photo from me, which he gave me a pair of signed race gloves from the final BSB race of 2019, which is worth more than any amount he could have paid me

Always make people pay if they wish to use your work. I went through a stage of being worried how much to put forward to clients, but if they want your photos, then they will pay

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Bit of a bump to the thread, but I had a crack at explaining copyright/licensing etc in the latest UKAR Podcast: