🤔

iainpeden

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by iainpeden »

Luke28 wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 10:32 am
Spotty_Jag wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 8:07 am
I agree with Tommy, across the population there'll be a range of "aviation enthusiasm" from those with zero interest, (eg don't even look out the window on their Easyjet flight), to a medium interest (knows what a Spitfire is, and gets excited to see a Chinook in the distance)
Slightly off topic but I've been passionately into the hobby for 30 odd years but still cant tell the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire.
Easy, the former is brewed by the Wantsum brewery:

https://wantsumbrewery.co.uk/product/hurricane-4-1-ipa/

And Spitfire comes from Shepherd Neame.

https://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/spitfire-collection
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

A few thoughts about RIAT this year...

1. I'm just glad it's on. COVID made us realise not to take anything for granted in life, so it's a triumph that it's happening at all. Of course things might change with Ukraine and it still could succumb if the conflict escalates but the chances look a lot better than say, 2 months back.

2. For me, RIAT isn't just about the list of participants and watching the flying. The static is a treasure trove too. It's unique in terms of the crews you can engage with from around the world. One minute you can ask a crew from Japan how long the flight took, the next you might be asking an American the max speed of the B1.
For me this is a great way to learn about the military of the world, and the camaraderie that exists between nations. It's a special thing.

3. For the USAF big birthday, I'd love to see a special flypast from Mildly and Lakenheath aircraft. KC135 leading F15 and F35 with C130 and Osprey behind maybe?

Oh and flying B1 and B52 as show finale of course!!😀 Like the good old days in Suffolk.

Here's to a safe and memorable show with a bit of this 😎

JMC

Post by JMC »

As you've mentioned B1's and B-52's. I haven't seen the B-1 fly since RIAT 2007 and the B-52 since Farnborough 2004 (it went tech on the Sunday RIAT 2006 and Saturday of 2007, didn't go in 2010 and have only been to departures in 2017 and 2018 in which they/the B-52 departed on the Tuesday). I'm not able to get to Fairford easily when they're deployed as I don't drive. I've nearly given up on hoping to see them again unless I go stateside! :joy:

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Keep the faith 😉

verreli

Post by verreli »

Don't forget the local... U2 :wink: and I don't mean bono is due to turn up.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

How is the aircraft participation so far compared to other years? There are 22 confirmed flying demos + potentially the unconfirmed A-10, F-35, Czech Gripen, Czech Alca X2 and Chinook (Maybe even the Black Eagles but I think it was a fake rumour).
And I am hoping for more static aircraft!

Hog

Post by Hog »

Would love see a C5 Galaxy on static never seen one up close. The show will be fantastic, line up already fab, well done to all.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

It's a real pity they don't do buses for arrivals or departures, have they ever said why? I'm guessing a lot lower numbers for them.

JMC

Post by JMC »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 9:26 pm
How is the aircraft participation so far compared to other years? There are 22 confirmed flying demos + potentially the unconfirmed A-10, F-35, Czech Gripen, Czech Alca X2 and Chinook (Maybe even the Black Eagles but I think it was a fake rumour).
Wouldn’t say a fake rumour, but more 2+2=5 (any international/UK show on anyones calendar has to be RIAT). The Black Eagles in their calendar say something along the lines of ‘Black Eagles might not be available between June and August due to participation in an international airshow’. However, having said that looking at the European airshow calendar for 2022 it’s hard to see within those dates where they could possibly go aside RIAT/Farnborough! ILA Berlin?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 9:26 pm
Seems about right for quantity, quality is probably slightly higher I’d say. Some notable absences from what might be regarded as regulars yet though, such as France/Italy.

Statics tend to be added closer to the show as operational commitments/airframe availability etc becomes clearer.

I haven’t looked back. But on the whole I’d say we’re probably about level, which, when you consider that everyone is two years out of the game, is pretty decent I think.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Italy are still ongoing unless i’ve missed something?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Frecce and anything from RSV would be great. Italians always display with panache.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Do the Italians still display the AMX? Wouldn’t mind seeing one back as they are due to be retired in 2023.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Andyph wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 9:32 am
Maybe discussions went something like this from the French end?
“What is that you say? You only want us to send Training aeroplanes this year?”
Just catching up on the thread and have to say this comment has hit a nerve for me somewhat. Sincerely hoping it wasn't meant to suggest as such, but the rather clumsily wording seems to suggest you think my team and I are lazily turning away exciting foreign military aircraft from RIAT? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I can assure you all it's quite the opposite and the workload across DBH on delivering this year's show is at an extremely high tempo. In fact, with the Mirage 2000 being one of my favourite aeroplanes and its years are numbered, we've been doing our damndest to encourage attendance of the type, however given the operational commitments of the various squadrons and the timing of Bastille Day is extremely challenging. We're extremely appreciative of whatever aircraft types our friends in the Armée de l'Air et de l'Espace are able to commit to the show come July.

Cheers,
Peter

Flightech

Post by Flightech »

Looking at the list so far, I'm guessing we are a little short of the flying displays compared to the previous years where we have had 30 plus.

I'm guessing at the best:

Turkish air/land force..... 1
Italian air force..... 2
Croatian air force.... 1
Us airforce..... 1 (tba). Maybe 1 more?
Czech airforce..... 2 (potential)
French airforce..... 1 (tba), maybe 1 more?

Maybe 1 fly past?

I doubt with the non European ones we will get any flying displays (apart from North America) so anything would be a bonus. I'm surprised that French and US navy isn't on there.

Anyone want to guess if Poland would be on the list this year?

I'm really curious if the Indians would bring their display team?

The Black Eagles, they're hasn't been any updates so far...

What do others think?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Flightech wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 4:09 pm
Looking at the list so far, I'm guessing we are a little short of the flying displays compared to the previous years where we have had 30 plus.
Not sure if this is significant but in previous years they advertised an eight hour flying display but this year it's 7+ hours. Each hour slot typically has 3 solo's and a team except the centrepiece which could take over the whole hour. Happy for the USAF to take all the time they want.

JMC

Post by JMC »

We have 10 Thursdays to go before the show (not including updates that are thrown in that are in between that time too). Am I the only one seeing a lot of small fretting/questioning on social media, UKAR, FC and such along the lines of 'we're still looking short/helicopter fest/nothing stands out'.

Jets: Potentially three Gripens (Czech not confirmed), Spanish Hornet, Austrian Typhoons, Zeus, Swiss Hornet, RAF Typhoon, Belgian F-16, SK-60, potential of the US F-35/A-10.
Heli's: Two hinds, two NH-90's, W-3 Sokol, Mi-171 Hip.
Some small gems on static so far that we haven't seen KC-390 (in service), Sabre, Portugese Epsilon.

Sure it's not that beefy but if you said to me in 2020/21 'hey RIAT will be back in 2022 with some of this line up....' I would've bitten your arm off and especially with the current climate of the world!

The outlook on the show could change in the space of a week as there are still a number of nations to confirm and god only knows what the Americans will send to bulk out the static park.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

I really don't understand the concern regarding participation levels here. If discluding NATO and SAC, we already have the potential of 40 air arms attending, compared to the 39 in 2019. So far, the ones confirmed are showing great support. Considering what's going on across the continent, I think it's pretty encouraging.
Fast jet fanatic.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Sadly a lot of it seems to stem from some people just looking back with rose tinted spectacles at the mid-90's/mid-00's and expect every show to be like that.

Reality is that this level of variety doesn't exist anymore and also the layout that the airfield has to be placed in to comply with changing regulations means there just isn't the space anymore either.

I've just gone through my, and so far formally announced by DBH (this does not include the Czech Gripen or ALCA pair and classing jet trainers as fast jets)....

Flying
  • Total Number of Acts = 23
  • Total Number of Fast Jet Solo Displays = 10
  • Total Number of Teams = 5
  • Total Number of Helicopter Displays = 6
  • Total Number of Others = 2
Static
  • Total Number of Static Aircraft = 56
  • Total Number of Military/Government Aircraft = 29
  • Total Number of Civilian Aircraft = 27
Considering there are over 2 months until the show - that is very very healthy.

As for total aircraft? Factoring display teams and that a few flying acts will bring a spare… we’re at around 112 aircraft.

Andy

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JMC wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 5:55 pm
Some small gems on static so far that we haven't seen KC-390 (in service), Sabre, Portugese Epsilon.
I think some of us have. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ImageTB-30 Epsilon 11404 101 Squadron Portuguese Air Force by Paul Downes, on Flickr
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I’m honestly just happy the shows going ahead. Some really nice aircraft both flying and static and we still have the raf and usaf to hopefully bulk up the static particularly but with plenty of updates left I’m not panicking I’m excited though

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Self confirm from Chinook

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i'm finding it hard to understand why people are so down on the participation list.

given we haven't had a show since 2019, and given the situation in eastern europe, we should be lucky it is happening at all.

in regard the lack of fast jets, well he haven't had some of the big hitters announce yet, so there will be more to come.

on helicopters, I for one I'm pleased with it. for many years most of the helo performances in the UK have been the chinook and apache, which as much as i love, it's nice to see other types. who can argue with 2 hinds?!!

some people live in a dream world sometimes

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I agree, if we think back to 2020 we didn't know if RIAT would ever return in its previous form.