5th June - Jubilee Flying Circus

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Chris G

5th June - Jubilee Flying Circus

Post by Chris G »

A quick copy and paste job from the Shuttleworth Website, looks like a really decent line up. Shame they've not published the list earlier in advance to give people more chance to travel.

Supermarine Spitfire AR501 Shuttleworth
Supermarine Spitfire BM597 Historic Aircraft Collection
Supermarine Spitfire EE602 Anglia Aircraft Restorations Ltd
Hawker Sea Hurricane Shuttleworth
Hawker Hurricane G-HITT Bygone Avation Ltd
de Havilland Comet Shuttleworth
Percival Mew Gull Shuttleworth
Percival Mew Gull G-HEKL David Beale
Miles Hawk Speed Six Shuttleworth
Hawker Demon Skysport
Gloster Gladiator Shuttleworth
de Havilland Chipmunk Shuttleworth
Avro Lancaster Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
Great War Display Team
Bristol M1c Shuttleworth
R.A.F. SE5a Shuttleworth
Sopwith Triplane Shuttleworth
Aerosuperbatics
Avro 504K Shuttleworth
Bristol F2b Fighter Shuttleworth
Sopwith Camel Shuttleworth
Bristol Boxkite Shuttleworth
Avro Triplane Shuttleworth
Blackburn Type D Monoplane Shuttleworth
Deperdussin Shuttleworth
Bleriot Shuttleworth
English Electric Wren Shuttleworth

UKAirshowTour

Re: 5th June - Jubilee Flying Circus

Post by UKAirshowTour »

That’s a decent line up I haven’t seen the demon In ages

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I agree it's a nice line up but pretty price at £42 a ticket, add in fuel costs etc and your topping £100 for the show.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Orion

Post by Orion »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 4:45 pm
I agree it's a nice line up but pretty price at £42 a ticket, add in fuel costs etc and your topping £100 for the show.
Yes, not good is it. It's going to take a while, next April, for the pension to catch up with 'normal' inflation never mind items like this which are not counted in the CPI. I really don't think the people at the Shuttleworth and Duxford have the slightest understanding of this. They seem to live in a different world to their customers.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Orion wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 5:07 pm
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Yes, not good is it. It's going to take a while, next April, for the pension to catch up with 'normal' inflation never mind items like this which are not counted in the CPI. I really don't think the people at the Shuttleworth and Duxford have the slightest understanding of this. They seem to live in a different world to their customers.
This really is boring now, constant whinging about price. It was all the way through the Evening of Espionage thread. You have made your point over and over again, give it a rest.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Xray833 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 7:16 pm
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
This really is boring now, constant whinging about price. It was all the way through the Evening of Espionage thread. You have made your point over and over again, give it a rest.
Considering I didn't say anything or look at the espionage thread as I had no intension of going how would I know about whinging in that thread. I'm making a point about a show I would like to go to, and being a pensioner these things don't come cheap. And paying £29 a ticket for the season premier this is quite a jump in price.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 9:14 pm
Xray833 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Considering I didn't say anything or look at the espionage thread as I had no intension of going how would I know about whinging in that thread. I'm making a point about a show I would like to go to, and being a pensioner these things don't come cheap. And paying £29 a ticket for the season premier this is quite a jump in price.

To be fair if you ordered well in advance it was £29. But it's a gamble booking that far ahead with the way the English weather is !

Orion

Post by Orion »

Xray833 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
I shall continue to make the point until either Shuttleworth take notice, or the mods tell me to pack it in.

Post by 5944 »

Prices of everything have gone up, why should Shuttleworth be any different? Their costs will be more than they were 5 years ago. Yes, it's a shame that everyone's income hasn't risen by the same amount as their outgoings, but that's not Shuttleworth's fault.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

5944 wrote:
Sat 21 May 2022, 8:57 am
Prices of everything have gone up, why should Shuttleworth be any different? Their costs will be more than they were 5 years ago. Yes, it's a shame that everyone's income hasn't risen by the same amount as their outgoings, but that's not Shuttleworth's fault.
Precisely. Do people not consider that the cost of the fuel (for both the aircraft and the cars, most if not all of which are not able to use "modern" fuels) used at a typical Old Warden show has increased considerably? That's just one of the costs involved. Go onto the CAA website and check out CAA charges for a permit to hold an air show and research the costs of closing Hill Lane (which has only been required for the last few years).
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Before covid an advance ticket was about £25 now suddenly a ticket is nearly £45 a ticket. We are all well aware that prices have increased but nearly double per person? I doubt that

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 2:10 pm
Before covid an advance ticket was about £25 now suddenly a ticket is nearly £45 a ticket. We are all well aware that prices have increased but nearly double per person? I doubt that
They are no doubt trying to recoup some of the lost revenue form the shows that were cancelled or restricted due to the Covid situation. Whilst they would obviously have had significant saving on costs, many of their considerable overheads would have continued unchanged.

Like many private heritage trusts, I imagine it is all a considerable struggle to make ends meet.

Consider how the ticket price relates to going to a concert, theatre or sporting event. Compared to many of those it is still cheap.

Orion

Post by Orion »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 3:23 pm
UKAirshowTour wrote:
They are no doubt trying to recoup some of the lost revenue form the shows that were cancelled or restricted due to the Covid situation. Whilst they would obviously have had significant saving on costs, many of their considerable overheads would have continued unchanged.

Like many private heritage trusts, I imagine it is all a considerable struggle to make ends meet.

Consider how the ticket price relates to going to a concert, theatre or sporting event. Compared to many of those it is still cheap.
Mmm, so what happened to all the support the taxpayer gave to businesses during the pandemic? Support which future generations will be paying off for perhaps the next 50-75 years. I accept absolutely that inflation is around 9-10%, but a good deal of the Shuttleworth's labour force is voluntary and it really shouldn't be putting up its entrance fees from £25 to £45.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
My advance ticket cost me £29 before a cut off date, so not a lot of difference really.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

But old warden was also one of the very few places that did stage events during COVID and this still got gate receipts etc so still got some money in.

But as I know via other organisers, shuttleworth have become very difficult to work with and have priced out events from being held there.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Mr Potton

Post by Mr Potton »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 9:14 pm

I'm making a point about a show I would like to go to, and being a pensioner these things don't come cheap. And paying £29 a ticket for the season premier this is quite a jump in price.
I sympathise, although I do feel that pleas of poverty are slightly undermined by the list of photographic equipment at the bottom of your post, which by my estimate amounts to something in excess of £2,000! Perhaps you could trade down to an Instamatic or something! Seriously though, I like your images of avian wildlife on your Flickr page.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Orion wrote:
Sat 21 May 2022, 8:46 am
Xray833 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
I shall continue to make the point until either Shuttleworth take notice, or the mods tell me to pack it in.
I honestly think shuttleworth are running themselves into the ground. with the price hikes and disregard for local passing traffic.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

The shows this season seem pretty busy - I'm sure they'll be fine.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Cole wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 6:17 pm
Orion wrote:
Xray833 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
I honestly think shuttleworth are running themselves into the ground. with the price hikes and disregard for local passing traffic.
Agree and the only things that would encourage more to attend would to bring in more visiting participants rarely seen. Afraid this line-up is very 'samey' . Even repainting some of their aircraft that have been in the same schemes for years would help - Chipmunk, Provost, Sopwith Pup and how long has the Hind been grounded? Refeshing the collection has always added more interest and provided publicity for them.
Adrian

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

AMB wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 10:58 pm
Cole wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 6:17 pm
Orion wrote:
Xray833 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Agree and the only things that would encourage more to attend would to bring in more visiting participants rarely seen. Afraid this line-up is very 'samey' . Even repainting some of their aircraft that have been in the same schemes for years would help - Chipmunk, Provost, Sopwith Pup and how long has the Hind been grounded? Refeshing the collection has always added more interest and provided publicity for them.
Bringing in more "rarely seen" display items would make little difference. Over the last ten or more years the only times Old Warden has been totally at capacity were when either the Red Arrows or the Vulcan (neither of which could be described at the time as "rarely seen") were on the participation list. I have attended almost every show at Old Warden over recent years, the only exceptions being when there was a clash with such as RIAT or some Duxford shows and apart from the "drive-in" events and when there has been inclement weather have noticed no decline in attendance. It is obvious that the majority do not consider the shows "too expensive" since (apart possibly from the evening shows) the car parks have been full.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Flare Path wrote:
Tue 24 May 2022, 8:07 pm
The shows this season seem pretty busy - I'm sure they'll be fine.
I attended the season premier which I *always* do, but it suffered from dreadful disorganisation, a relatively lacklustre display and a major price hike.

I like Shuttleworth, but it would take something special for me to come back. Admittedly my enthusiasm for airshows is primarily sparked by fast jets, so perhaps i'm not the audience they're going for - but i've spent a lot of money of Shuttleworth over the years and ironically it seems this year - despite the price hike - i'll be spending less than ever.

Hopefully i'm an outlier, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on that.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

First thing to state here is that Old Warden invariably provides for unique viewing & photography due to it's location/format. Second thing is "Provide it & they will come!" (slight tweek!) only works whilst the the customer-base believes they are getting something special for whatever the price!
The value of something is not the stated cost, BUT what the consumer will pay which is a personal consideration based on their personal viewpoint & private finances. There is always a case for complaint from those who become plain unable to afford or justify the expense of an event at Shuttleworth.
In the alternative, Shuttleworth management clearly understood that during the Covid Shows with parking boxes being extra income above the entry ticket that the venue was still filled. Clue, General Public has deeper pockets than we thought, bump the entry price up to not only absorb the increased operational costs, but also to make some profit! It's a business for chris***kes! :open_mouth:
Car-sharing is the simple way to offset the significant 16.5% fuel cost increase thus far & also pre-booking tickets at the early-bird price helps. But don't whine when it pi**es-down all day! To go or not to go! That is the question? :slight_smile:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Stagger2 wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 3:52 pm
...but also to make some profit! It's a business for chris***kes! :open_mouth:
Just to make clear, The Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth Remembrance Trust, the parent organisation of The Shuttleworth Collection, is a charity, and is registered as such with the Charity Commission. It is NOT a for-profit commercial business.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Weathers looking a bit off, a real shame... :(

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Mike wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 4:39 pm
Stagger2 wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 3:52 pm
...but also to make some profit! It's a business for chris***kes! :open_mouth:
Just to make clear, The Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth Remembrance Trust, the parent organisation of The Shuttleworth Collection, is a charity, and is registered as such with the Charity Commission. It is NOT a for-profit commercial business.
Very few Charities survive without some kind commercial activity. It is obvious that the Shuttleworth Collection can not be run without making a profit, how that profit is spent is what determines the charitable status.