Flying Legends future? Forum thoughts!

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
DaveBr

Re: Flying Legends future? Forum thoughts!

Post by DaveBr »

I am holding out hope that Flying Legends has a future.
I don't think there are any options more realistic than a reconciliation and return to Duxford though... :confused:

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

DaveBr wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 9:40 am
I am holding out hope that Flying Legends has a future.
I don't think there are any options more realistic than a reconciliation and return to Duxford though... :confused:
That would need people at the top of IWM realising they've appointed utter cretins into the senior roles at Duxford.....
You'd think questions were asked after the May airshow disaster, but I suspect not.

Young and trendy, so called professional museum people with no specific knowledge, seems to be the default hire option for many museums in this day and age, so don't expect any reconciliation between TFC and IWM in the near future....IMHO.

catwomanofkent

Post by catwomanofkent »

Pigs will be flying before anything at Flying Legends with that lot in charge!

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Is there any possibility of it relocating to a non-aviation site?

In the same way that the Midlands Air Festival have made Ragley Hall their home, could a larger venue work?

Ideally of course it would need to be able to handle a large number of spectators, so I guess you are looking at, for example, Blenheim-size properties, and I assume using a site with no aviation-related infrastructure brings it's own problems (and large country estates do have lots of trees), but having watched larger aircraft such as the Catalina and C-47 using the grass strip at Cosby, not to mention smaller warbirds, could it work?

davski

Post by davski »

What about Goodwood?

Although I'd hate FL to disappear completely I must confess that, despite once being a regular attendee, the Firefly accident was one too many for me and I have only been back once since.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

davski wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 10:12 am
What about Goodwood?
I think it would be very hard to hold an event like FL at Goodwood due to the layout of the place. Its why there are now so many restrictions to the flying element at Revival, and there is now no airshow as such other than the early morning take-off and half a dozen passes routine.

The runway layout and car parking areas are at odds with a display zone, given the proximity of the housing estate to the south-west and west of the circuit/airfield that would prevent the display area being on the appropriate side of the active runway (32)
Even if the active runway could be the shorter 24/06, permitting more of the display zone to be in the north-west corner of the airfield and in the areas NW of the airfield boundary, I think the impact on the display area due to the housing to the west of the airfield might still make it unviable.

Its a nice idea given the organisational infrastructure available to help from Goodwood estate. However, I suspect that TFC wouldn't be able to make the numbers work with the additional costs and logistics........and given Revival and FOS costs, it would be a very expensive show!!

Schanche

Post by Schanche »

Former RAF Manston sitting doing nothing that would make an interesting venue plenty of space close to the coast lots of parking area for the aircraft and two museums thrown in as well, but sadly local council would bin it straight away. If it’s for the good of the county not interested😒

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

What about Abingdon? Big site, big runway, good access, and a recent history of successful airshows...?
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

DCW

Post by DCW »

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Wow Leeds if approved, no way I'd travel that far from where I live even Duxford was a hike!

Stuart

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »