Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Reviewed

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Reviewed

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Blades Slap" - Sam Wise reports from a moist and sticky RAF Fairford for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

mark_aviation

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Reviewed

Post by mark_aviation »

That is the best review I have ever read on this site :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well balanced in terms of seeing both sides of the situation, but very honest and upfront when it comes to the big issues of this year’s RIAT. I really hope DBH give this review a read and make the necessary changes. Forget about the survey, this is what we think about RIAT 2019!

Edit: The only thing I’ve got problems with that isn’t mentioned here was the state of AirTattoo 87.7FM this year. I don’t want to listen to this interview that you’ve already played 3 times today, I want to listen to the commentary and see what is next on the flying schedule...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I must shamefully admit to getting the fact about Time Peake wrong: he is, in fact, Britain's second astronaut (counting as people who've been to space under the British flag) the first being Helen Sharman who I had incorrectly believed to have not flown under the British flag.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Bang on, I sincerely hope that the powers that be pay attention.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

G-CVIX wrote:Bang on, I sincerely hope that the powers that be pay attention.

I very much doubt they will. The pendulum has swung too far in favour of the corporate aspect of the show that I suspect it is now unrecoverable. Cosford and Yeovilton are the enthusiasts shows and RIAT has prostituted itself to the whim of the blazers in the chalets.

I decided not to go this year. Reading Sam's excellent review I'm now thoroughly convinced I made entirely the correct decision. I've enjoyed 30 years of RIATs and used to buy a ticket without even bothering to find out what would be there as I was guaranteed it would be excellent. But now the show is seemingly being run by the 'children' with their degrees is social media and marketing it would take something very special to lure me back.

This is Paul Atherton's chance to prove us all wrong in 2020 but I suspect his hands will be tied and he will actually have very little input into the running of the show and will be reduced to being the bloke they wheel out for a photo opportunity shaking hands with the CEO of Airbus etc.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Sadly that is a very accurate review. Right on so many points. RIAT needs a major review of itself before the next show. Unfortunately though with the inevitable rise and dominance of the F-35 enthusiasts are going to be increasingly short changed.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The Baron wrote:Sadly that is a very accurate review. Right on so many points. RIAT needs a major review of itself before the next show. Unfortunately though with the inevitable rise and dominance of the F-35 enthusiasts are going to be increasingly short changed.

That's hardly DBH's fault though is it.

Good review Sam, as others have said it hits various nails on various heads. :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Well written Sam and spot on. :clap: :clap:
Will DBH listen? Sadly I doubt it. Too committed to the Corporate Chalet Brigade, to give a stuff about the General Public, let alone the enthusiast community. More convinced than ever that Friday has seen my "Sorry Ass" for the last time for a while. Let's see if ANY of this is reacted to and more to the point will any public reaction from DBH be forthcoming?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

CJS wrote:
The Baron wrote:Sadly that is a very accurate review. Right on so many points. RIAT needs a major review of itself before the next show. Unfortunately though with the inevitable rise and dominance of the F-35 enthusiasts are going to be increasingly short changed.

That's hardly DBH's fault though is it.

I didn't say it was. However for RIAT to remain "The World's Greatest Airshow", they can't rest on their laurels or ignore valid criticism.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Thought it might be of interest to some to see Tom’s (RIATAirOps) response on Twitter:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tomg701/status/1157599286592512000[/tweet]

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Interesting to see the unfaltering agreement by members here versus the disagreement from those involved in the show, elsewhere.

Says it all really...

Edit: beaten to it by seconds!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

In keeping with this year's space theme, that dummy he spat out has probably achieved geocentric orbit by now.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

In his defence, Tom could be defending aspects of the show that none of us can or ever will know about. Just playing devil's advocate a little, before anyone turns on me...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

dogfish

Post by dogfish »

This is a 100% bang on review of the event.

This year was a real eye opener with poor positioning of star static items, corporate chalets and barriers on the increase and the ever insisting urge to make the show about techno zones and STEM.

The review is a true representation of the event but I would agree that no organisers will take any action to the valid points made. The organisers got their star flying acts and made their money. They bagged a flying Mig, Sukhoi and Harrier and 1000's of people gladly handed over their hard earned for the privilege. No other airshow in the UK came close to what aircraft was on offer. Just a shame they could not give any thought into where said aircraft were positioned around the show ground.

This years RIAT was a success but sadly the event was not for the enthusiast.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

CJS wrote:In his defence, Tom could be defending aspects of the show that none of us can or ever will know about. Just playing devil's advocate a little, before anyone turns on me...

Tom’s asked for a reply but nothing yet. They cant say we’re wrong without saying why we’re wrong. If they dont want things in the review they just have to state it from the outset, rxplain why the Swedes were not booked, explain the no budget for the Wessex when the blades are in, Tom is a member in here and as with many aspects of RIAT 2019 all it would take is one post, just one!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

They absolutely can say you're all wrong and not tell you why. That's their prerogative as event organisers who know more about the workings of the event than any reviewer can ever think they know.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why they're not going to tell you all, most likely starting with "it's UKAR".

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Sure, it's their prerogative not to tell. But hell if they don't look like whiny babies if they then go and cry in public about being called out for stuff that's been detrimental to their core, paying customers that they won't tell anyone about or offer any explanation for. When they do that, it only makes them look like children who can't handle criticism of their mistakes rather than "event organisers who know more about the workings of the event than any reviewer can ever think they know".

"It's wrong!"
"How is it wrong?"
"Not gonna tell you!"

DBH have, for their own reasons, chosen not to engage with the enthusiast community this year. But they can't clam up and cease to engage with the community and then - publicly - complain when the community questions their decisions.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

cg_341 wrote:most likely starting with "it's UKAR".

Jeez, build a bridge
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

cg_341 wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why they're not going to tell you all, most likely starting with "it's UKAR".

Don’t wish to upset anyone’s apple cart or anything, but the above is, (whilst it made me chuckle) is demonstrably not true; the man himself was quite happy to give us some non-public background info to clear up some of the queries of the time and happy to be quoted in our 2017 review.

So maybe it’s just cos “it’s Sam”, instead. :whistle:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Tommy wrote:So maybe it’s just cos “it’s Sam”, instead. :whistle:

Now there's a reason we can all get behind!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

With due respect to Tom G - and I have loads of that - of course the review is an opinion piece. That's the point of reviews. Album review, movie review.. etc. Of course its opinion. If its the case that this event is leaving an intelligent man with those opinions, then you get to the crux of the matter.

Take the Blades situation. From their announcement up to the event I assumed that the Blades were there because of the RAFBF connection. They carry the RAFBF banner, who in turn are a beneficiary of the RAFCTE and the show. Yet this connection was never made in any of the publicity nor over the weekend of the show. Maybe they were there as a booked act then? or maybe it was to support the RAFBF or to fly the flag for 2excel and normal commercials didn't apply?

Of course, any organisation is quite within its rights to say, "that's none of your business". But when rumours abound that certain potential acts can't be paid for its does rather affect ones thinking. I for one would love to see the Tattoo as a celebration of the best of both military and civil aviation as it has been before and I'm blinkered in neither direction. But if budget is being apportioned then any aviation enthusiast's analysis is going to involve what is 'world class', and what would indeed represent the best available, and what is justified spend.

It feels to me like my beloved football team has had a bad season, a brush with relegation, but has got by and I'm full of optimism for next season. And as a fan, It would be absolutely normal to discuss the ins and outs of why and what needs doing to address it. No sports journalist would be 'unprofessional' for doing that in his printed output either. Quite the opposite. Why is an airshow different?

And with a concluding note of optimism, the new 'boss' is an aviation man. Am I wrong to hope that his network, his focus and his enthusiasm will be to bring a bit of a push to that side of the event in future?

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

I took this photo in 2006....... posted here without comment...

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

A fairly honest review by Sam , at least it was an event and not a "non event". A good show but not a "classic" , this show will be remembered for a number of reasons by everyone in their own retrospective ways :wink:

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

What an excellent report and one I felt reflects many enthusiasts views.

I have been a Mach 3 member continuously from 1996-2018-23 years (with several years before 1996 as a day visitor) and have felt for several years RIAT is becoming more and more a Corporate extravaganza and funfair/light entertainment event. I took the decision not to renew my Mach 3 and this year proved it was the correct call. Yes I went to arrivals and the dreaded Friday (at the absolutely outrageous £49-never again)-and I fully accept weather is not something RIAT can control.

I flew to Oshkosh on Saturday and oh what a welcome breath of fresh aviation air. $125 for a 7 day ticket (arrivals days free), no rip off for "souvenir brochure" , no corporate chalets crowding the flight line and open access to wonderful aircraft with easy to photograph opportunities.

RIAT is sadly becoming a Corporate and Light Entertainment venue trying to gouge ever more money from the public with a woefully laughable PR department.

I would urge enthusiasts to vote with their feet and look elsewhere for more aviation focussed events.

austinp

Post by austinp »

I liked this review a lot, it echoed many of my thought.

Whilst Tom Gibbons may point out some inaccuracies, it would be nice of him to point them out to us lesser mortals.

Regardless of that, DBH needs to take stock of these comments (and those from their own survey) and make positive actions for next years show.