IWM Duxford 'Showcase Day'

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

IWM Duxford 'Showcase Day'

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Show & Tell" - Scott Perry reports from IWM Duxford on the first of two 'Showcase Days' to be held in August.

Image Image Image

frank

Re: IWM Duxford 'Showcase Day'

Post by frank »

Interesting to hear about these show cases.
May I please ask was the normal car park in use or it across the road
2. what size of au

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

As far as I'm aware the normal museum car park was being used. They were parking members inside the museum on the area in front of the Airspace hangar so I was parked there. But didn't see anyone heading across the bridge to the other side.

In terms of attendance. Not that many, certainly less than I thought it would be and probably less than one of the days before Flying Legends.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Possibly attendance was low as the event clashed with Shuttleworth, which seemed to have a good-sized crowd. This was also the reason why the usual Duxford commentator was absent (as mentioned in your review) as Ben was also at OW, and why the DH-9 was flying. Rather a strange choice by IWM to go head-to-head with Shurtleworth, as they are well aware of each other's dates.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

That's true, there was more there than for the May Showcase Day though, although that had less displays and was on the Monday after the Air Festival. It will be interesting to see how many are there next week.

Indeed, it does seem a bit strange, especially given the proximity of the two. But nothing new I guess, as Legends and other shows have clashed with Old Warden in the past. Guess it's hard to find a date in the summer that doesn't clash with something. From being there, the clash was a bonus though, having the DH-9 and others going off to Shuttleworth gave a bit of action in the morning, so from that point of view it was good. Thanks, I knew that Ben was there. Was actually thinking of Colin Wilsher, may have been a good chance to hear a bit more from him.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Interesting to read that members were parked on the airfield rather than in the normal external car park. How did they discriminate between members and others?

I am an IWM Premium Member and am considering attending the Showcase Day on Wednesday and would like, if possible, to take advantage of this
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Think you had to show your membership card when going into the normal museum car park and then was directed through to the parking on the airfield. If not, it might have just been telling them you were a member, can't remember if they asked for the card at this point or not.

When you parked up there was someone on with a clipboard taking down all the membership numbers, similar to how they usually do when you go to the desk in the shop. But just came around to your car.

Hopefully it will be the same on Wednesday.