UKAR Forum upgrade

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: UKAR Forum upgrade

Post by Wissam24 »

Big Eric wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 6:37 pm
It seems like all of the issues from the upgrade have been ironed out now but do we really need all of the 'Smileys & Emotions'? There's 18 that have a heart on them - do we really need them (not to mention about 40 of the others)?
Bring back the old ones I say!
It's 2020.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Yes, I’ve never previously logged out after each visit.

Andy

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Big Eric wrote:
It seems like all of the issues from the upgrade have been ironed out now but do we really need all of the 'Smileys & Emotions'? There's 18 that have a heart on them - do we really need them (not to mention about 40 of the others)?
Don’t use them then.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Mon 11 May 2020, 8:48 pm
Big Eric wrote:
Don’t use them then.
Eeeeee, reet champion lad, West Yorkshire eh? We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in - week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt! :heart: :orange_heart: :green_heart:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

🤣 Bless. You are the definition of a snowflake.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

The consequence (or at least one consequence) is that when I use the "New Posts" search, it brings up all the posts since my last login rather than last visit. Is this fixable?

These relatively minor issues aside, many thanks for the upgrade and I apologise for not saying this earlier.

Andy

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

I agree it is not the most major bug but not seeing only the new threads since last time forum was marked read (just like 99.9% of other forums I read) is somewhat annoying to say the least and it would be good if this could be fixed please?

Stuart

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I've just had another issue only since this morning.

A couple of posts that I've replied to have disappeared together with my response. It's only started this morning. It was in Themed Photos - Aviation on this Day.

Andy🤷‍♂️

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Re the new posts - I'm looking into it but everything I've seen suggests that this is the intended functionality with the modern version of phpBB. I don't think it's very good but if so then I need to see if anyone has found a way to get it to do what it did before.

As for the last thing, I can't see any posts anywhere but nothing is being hidden as far as I can see
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for looking. I'll keep a watchful eye on it.

Andy

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

With regard to this thing about new posts I noticed something today which is definitely not right. This thread showed up as unread this morning but I know I read it yesterday, it should not have shown up as read. I also noticed that everything that I got shown when I clicked on new posts was marked as unread despite the fact that I marked the forum read yesterday. So I would suggest this is a more important issue now because this starts to make the forum very difficult to use if it is not showing threads correctly as new/read.

Stuart

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

This is the same issue as addressed above. As I said, as far as I can see from online this is the intended functionality. phpBB3 which the board now runs on appears to be login based rather than visit based like phpBB2, which the old forum was on.

blackfive460

Post by blackfive460 »

The only way that we can get the board to work the way it used to; only showing threads that have been updated, is by marking all read, logging out then logging back in on the next visit.
I suppose I'll get used to it but that bit of the upgrade seems a bit of a step backward as far as ease of use is concerned.
No doubt the board software developers feel it's a bit more secure that way.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I think it's unfortunate as neither I nor any of the staffers that helped me with testing ever used the feature in the first place so weren't to know! :joy:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I'd never used it, nor was aware of it - until it was raised on this thread!!
Personally, it is a feature I'll survive without, having not been aware of it for the last 20 years😄

Andy😀

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Personally I think it's a shame because now the only way for it to work means I have to log out after each visit which I never had to do before and it's the only forum I use which does this. I don't see why it is any more secure doing it this way. OK it is what it is and I'll have to live with it reluctantly, very poor design.

Stuart

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Can't you just use the unread posts list? search.php?search_id=unreadposts

I do find it odd that the forum is now missing the standard posts lists (new, unread, active, my posts, etc) that have come with phpBB themes for ages.

blackfive460

Post by blackfive460 »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 9:11 pm
That'll do nicely thank you!

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 14 May 2020, 9:11 pm

I do find it odd that the forum is now missing the standard posts lists (new, unread, active, my posts, etc) that have come with phpBB themes for ages.

Well since that search works why cant we have a button to do that. I believe that forums should be easy to use and user friendly and since 99% of the forums I use have such buttons I dont see why this one cant have them as well. I really dont see why I have to mess around using things like this when it should have buttons for these functions.

Stuart

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

What's the warning triangles for in these threads? Is it because someone's reported a post and the members are getting the icon as well as the Mods?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Big Eric wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020, 5:27 pm
What's the warning triangles for in these threads? Is it because someone's reported a post and the members are getting the icon as well as the Mods?

It's because they're displaying the "announcement topic" icon, rather than the standard topic icon. One for Sam.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020, 5:48 pm
Big Eric wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020, 5:27 pm

It's because they're displaying the "announcement topic" icon, rather than the standard topic icon. One for Sam.
The "announcement topic" icon is a red flag with a white star within it, this seems like an icon that has a reported post within it somewhere.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Sticky topic then.

Either way, it's nothing to do with reported posts, it's just an icon that's been linked to the wrong sort of topic.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Something's not quite right, the red triangle is displayed until I click on it and read the latest post, refresh it and then it turns light blue with three lines across it.
If I look at the Historic section viewforum.php?f=65 then the top 7 threads have a blue warning triangle on them, I presume these are stickies.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Big Eric wrote:
Sat 16 May 2020, 6:54 pm
Something's not quite right, the red triangle is displayed until I click on it and read the latest post, refresh it and then it turns light blue with three lines across it.
If I look at the Historic section viewforum.php?f=65 then the top 7 threads have a blue warning triangle on them, I presume these are stickies.
Did you read my last reply?