Cosford Conservation Centre Open Week

For any UK event that does not have its own forum

Cosford Conservation Centre Open Week

Post by 106500 »

I thought readers would be interested to learn of the current situation regarding present and future open weeks at the Michael Beetham conservation centre at Cosford museum. I made a tentative enquiry as there seemed to be no update posted on-line and received the following reply from the centre manager:

The Open Week is not being held this year because my staff are involved in a major exhibition, which is happening at both our London and Midlands sites. Apart from my team possibly not being on-site, the Centre is being used as a point for stripping, storing and rebuilding of the aircraft involved, therefore having no space to be able to safely host the Open Week this year. Also, having to down tools for two weeks (that's what it takes to run an Open Week including prep and recovery), this would have a serious impact on the timings for our moves to be completed.

We do have a further exhibition to prep for later in 2023. We hope to run the Open Week but a lot will depend on the aircraft have in the Centre at the time too.

I am not involved in website content for the Museum so it is not for me to comment on this.

Cole

Re: Cosford Conservation Centre Open Week

Post by Cole »

seems like the management at both RAFM sites are running them into the ground.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Post by 106500 »

Sadly no Open Week this year (2023). Here’s a response to my enquiry back in June:

“Good Morning.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment and have passed your comments on so that they can be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, due to different events and projects the museum has running this year, we do not have the staffing numbers we need to open the conservation centre as we have done in the past. I can assure you that we do want to do this event again but we wont to make sure we can give it the justice it deserves.”

Read into it as you will but I’m sceptical that we shall ever see this event again which is a shame.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It’s the same with the FAA Museum, they no longer hold the Cobham Hall open days.