What is the best flight simulator game out now?

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
F-162016

What is the best flight simulator game out now?

Post by F-162016 »

I have always been into my flight simulation games, i remember my first " flight simulator 98 " great game!! got me hooked from the beginning i remember the joy stick and everything. since then i have not had a computer for many years but i have finally got round to building my own PC, top of the range graphics card, massive ram you name it it's got it. What i want is peoples opinions on what is the best flight simulator game out now? as in game play, graphics and controls what are the people saying??

Thanks

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: What is the best flight simulator game out now?

Post by Wissam24 »

DCS has probably the most in depth flight modelling and systems modelling around that doesn't come with an overly hefty price tag like P3D does and of late looks pretty good, but it doesn't offering anything in the way of civvie aircraft.

Falcon BMS is also quite good with an excellent dynamic campaign and features but that's specific to the F-16 and it can be a pain in the backside to install.

MS FS is beginning to show its age now.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

F-162016

Post by F-162016 »

Hello Wissam, I am going to give the DCS flight simulator a try it is a few year old though. And then see what Microsoft can come up with they never let us down back in the day!

Thanks Wissam

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Microsoft are no longer in the flight simulator business.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

F-162016 wrote:Hello Wissam, I am going to give the DCS flight simulator a try it is a few year old though. And then see what Microsoft can come up with they never let us down back in the day!

Thanks Wissam

It is a few years old but new modules are still being released pretty frequently and it recently had a huge graphical and engine upgrade.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

F-162016 wrote:Hello Wissam, I am going to give the DCS flight simulator a try it is a few year old though. And then see what Microsoft can come up with they never let us down back in the day!

Thanks Wissam

DCS 1.5 introduced a brand new graphics engine and DCS 2.0 which is in beta takes that to the next stage.

The base game comes with the Su-25T and TF-51D, you then buy modules to suit.

These vary in realism from the more arcade like Flaming Cliffs 3 - which includes the A-10A, F-15C, Su-27A, Su-33, Mig-29A, Mig-29G, Mig-29S and Su-25A

Up to the ultra realistic A-10C or Mirage 2000C modules, the former developed for the US Air Force. These take realism to the next level where you have to go through a full cockpit procedure for everything!

If you want a modern combat flight simulator then this is the best in the business right now.

Andy

Modules Available
Flaming Cliffs 3 - also available as individual modules
P-51D
Bf-109 K-4
Gazelle
Black Shark 2
A-10C
Mirage 2000C
Hawk T.1A
Combined Arms (ground combat)
L-39C Albatros
C-101 Aviojet (C-101EB and C-101CC)
Mig-21bis
Mig-15bis
F-86F Sabre
Fw 190 D-9
Mi-8MTV2
UH-1H Huey

Modules in Development (that I know of, Sam knows more)
F-14 Tomcat
Spitfire MkIX
Meteor
Eurofighter Typhoon Tranche 1
F/A-18C
Viggen
Rafale
Nevada Map
1944 Normandy Map
P-47D
F-5E Tiger II
F4U Corsair
I-16 Type 24
P-40F
F8F Bearcat
Buchon
Spitfire Mk XIV
Vampire
F-16C
Mirage F1
Ju-87
Tucano
Harrier GR3
Harrier GR5
A-6 Intruder
A-7 Corsair II
F-15E Strike Eagle
NH-90
Alpha Jet
Caribou

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Some of those are mods and a lot probably won't see the light of day to be honest. Not sure about those marks of Harrier, only ones I know of are the AV-8B and the GR9. You've also got the Bo 105 being developed and RAZBAM announced they're doing the Mirage III. I think they're doing something else as well but off the top of my head I can't remember what it was.

Also there's the Straits of Hormuz map being made. And Leatherneck are making a Pacific Islands map for the F4U

F-162016

Post by F-162016 »

Wow guys, There are so many games these days to choose from! It feels like it's been a life time since i have played. Things have/can get real serious not with the ( full cockpit procedure ) that should be fun to get a hold of!. Where did you find all these games? so i can do some research and see what i am looking for? There is one last thing to to complete my set... Joystick everyone needs one for a flight simulator, I have been looking at some Pc joystick classified ads sites doing a bit of research, what i still don't understand is any joystick compatible for any game? or am i going to hit some bumps on the runway? ( sorry couldn't help myself ) The picture is a google image of something i am looking at.

Thanks everyone
Last edited by F-162016 on Fri 15 Jul 2016, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

The Thrustmaster Warthog (the one you've pictured) is probably the best on the market that isn't custom made to order - metal construction, very sturdy and bar one button every click and press feels absolutely right. If you're willing to splash that kind of cash you won't find better on the market. Could never go back to using something plastic now.

The only thing is you WILL need rudder pedals if you get the Warthog. But that just adds to the fun and makes helicopters much easier in the game.

Most everything will be compatible with DCS or any other flight sim as you just need to assign the buttons. And in fact if you get the A-10C module it's plug and play and it automatically assigns them for you!

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

Before you think of splashing the cash on the Warthog goggle 'sticktion' on this HOTAs.

After years with my beloved F16 Cougar I looked at replacing it with the warthog but chose the Saitek x55 over it due to the sticktion issue

food for thought

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I can't say I've ever encountered stiction in the Warthog. Most people don't encounter it at all, and it's fixable if they do - I wouldn't even consider the X55 in the running with the Warthog myself.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

I looked at the resolution on the stiction on the warty. .and decided if it was to encounter it, striping down and adding the required paste on the ball was just step too far for something that costs £350. Shame Thrustmaster don't sand down their gyro ball correctly to prevent this from happening.
Have to say the X55 value for money is excellent and the Throttle unit is utterly superb.

Curretly assesing a X55 throttle unit with a mamba Stick, when they're available again. Perfect combo!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

I've been into flight simming for more than twenty years now, and I'll tell you, nothing comes close to DCS. It does have it short comings, for instance there is no dynamic campaign, and for the time being you can only fly in the Caucasus region or in Nevada - but what is there, is absolutely fantastic! All the modules (except for the FC3 aircraft of course) are simulated down to the smallest detail, and unlike sims like FSX which have been abandoned by it's developers, DCS is in constant development with updates and fixes coming out quite regularly.

There's a bit of a learning curve if you are just coming back into flight sims, but stick with it and Im sure you'll love it - there's interactive training missions with most modules, and there's also a lot of youtubers who make video tutorials, so if the manuals seem a bit daunting you'll find a lot of help there.

I'd recommend you check out some of the trailers on YouTube, they'll give you a good glimpse into the world of DCS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-H6v0rQOfA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWeLCqDVl6E[/youtube]

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Agg wrote:and unlike sims like FSX which have been abandoned by it's developers

Rights bought by both Dovetail Games and Lockheed Martin, who are actively developing forks of FSX...

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Doesn't change the fact that it was abandoned by Microsoft though. And while Locheed Martin and Dovetail have managed to iron out quite a few of the problems with the original FSX they are still just polishing ten year old technology.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

You could make that argument about ED though....1.5/2.0/2.5 are big upgrades though.

lozza

Post by lozza »

Anything good for a mac

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

Help!

Chap at work is looking for a basic flight sim game. I know Microsoft is out of that business, but a successor to that crown would be good!

The software would be used by a 10/11 year old. So I guess something with an easy mode and going onto more depth.

Remember my knowledge of this market is poor to non-existent. :lol:

Many thanks for any help.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Maybe Prepar3d, it's a beefed up and polished version of Flight Simulator X, and you can make it as deep and realistic as you want.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Rise of Flight is basic in controls but a good simulator, but the aircraft within are also very basic as it's a WWI game. However, it's free!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

lozza wrote:Anything good for a mac

I'd like to know this too. Any good flight sim options for the iMac?
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

X-plane?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Skyflash wrote:
lozza wrote:Anything good for a mac

I'd like to know this too. Any good flight sim options for the iMac?

There is a free open source cross platform sim called FlightGear that's supposed to be pretty good

Fox

Post by Fox »

If you are into WW2 warbirds there is nothing better than Aces High. Now in it's Version 3 iteration it offers full on line combat simulation with live dialogue with other squad members. With over 30 aircraft types with all relevant and accurate skinning enabling you to 'fly' your favourite aircraft - either allied or axis. There are also monthly campaigns/re-enactments of historical events such as BOB, the Pacific Campaign etc. Flight models are extremely accurate and skill in air combat manoeuvres is quickly rewarded by kills. If you get exasperated by your lack of skill set - (and there are some very gifted pilots on there that are extremely difficult to shoot down) - you can always turn to bombing in Lancasters, B17s etc etc, or supply troops in a C47, or simply go and drive a tank or similar as part of a base capture. If you want to challenge you flying skills - try a deck landing on one of the many Carriers that are patrolling the surrounding seas. There is constant variety.

You can download the software with all aircraft free of charge. You can use this to work up your skill levels and once you feel a degree of confidence (usually within a couple of hours), you can venture online for a monthly fee of around £10.00. The arenas run 24/7 and there is always someone to shoot down :) Perhaps most importantly, this simulation tends not to be used by the shoot em up kids. It is highly sophisticated, requires honing of skills and is populated in the main by the more mature enthusiast.

Download and further information can be found at :- http://www.hitechcreations.com

PS I am not connected to the organisation in any way apart from having used the software for the past 10 years or so.

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

I think that the newly announced partnership between Aerofly and Orbx could be a game changer. Link below

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134014-welcome-to-a-new-era-presenting-ftx-innsbruck-for-aerofly-fs2-flight-simulator/