Arthur Scarfe's Blenheim

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
cabbage

Arthur Scarfe's Blenheim

Post by cabbage »

I'm sure this has been discussed (argued) etc, many times over the years.

Does anyone have a definite answer to which Blenheim Scarfe flew on his VC mission.

There seems to be two different code letters offered depending on modelling evidence (ie: Airfix & Corgi).

The reason I ask is that I've bought Airfix's !/48 Mk.I, and would like to finish it in his markings.

Thanks in advance.

iainpeden

Re: Arthur Scarfe's Blenheim

Post by iainpeden »

You are more likely to get a detailed answer if you ask your question in the WW2 thread on Britmodeller. The knowledge on there is amazing.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

OK thanks.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

I have a couple of profile artworks that show Scarf's Blenheim as being L1134 "F". There does seem to be some contradictory info as to whether the squadron codes were PT or FX.

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

Hi Ant, thanks for reply.

As you say, the crux of the matter is whether the squadron codes were PT or FX. I expect as most of the Squadron records were lost in the chaos of late 1941-early 1942 the truthfull answer may not be known.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

You could perhaps do different codes on each side, hedge your bets!

cabbage

Post by cabbage »

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

You do have to wonder what units were perforce amalgamated as they were caught by the Japanese - which would move airworthy airframes around - but the suggestion from the account of Scarfe's VC flight is that 62 Squadron was fairly complete prior to the attack that wiped its aircraft out when only Scarfe had taken off. The Wikipedia page (I know!) on RAF Squadron codes is clear that PT applied to 27 Squadron and not 62: what is missing is confirmation that FX does apply to 62 Squadron during that period.

My feeling is that despite the lack of evidence for FX, PT is unlikely to be right. It's a start point of sorts.

buccs2b

Post by buccs2b »

There is also a train of thought that LO may have been 62 Squadron's code letters, just to confuse the matter more, although that might conflict with use by 602
I hear gliders

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

buccs2b wrote:
Mon 10 May 2021, 2:38 pm
There is also a train of thought that LO may have been 62 Squadron's code letters, just to confuse the matter more, although that might conflict with use by 602
In a different theatre of war so that the two couldn't meet, that wouldn't have mattered and might not have been considered. There are only so many tunes that can be played on two letters - that's why in Britain numbers had to be involved eventually e.g. P3 for 692 Squadron.

Come to that, FX is quoted for 234 and 266 Squadron - one of the current Biggin Hill Spitfires, TD314, flies with FX codes.

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

There are a few cases of squadron codes being used by more than one squadron at the same time, even in the same theatre.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Ant.H wrote:
Wed 12 May 2021, 10:09 am
There are a few cases of squadron codes being used by more than one squadron at the same time, even in the same theatre.
In the absence of definitive photos, as long as the serial is right perhaps its not worth worrying too much about the codes!

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Agreed, to be honest it's semantics compared to what Scarfe and his comrades were doing at the time.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Ant.H wrote:
Wed 12 May 2021, 2:06 pm
Agreed, to be honest it's semantics compared to what Scarfe and his comrades were doing at the time.
Indeed, though I'd definitely argue that trying to get the details right is part of paying respect to them.