Academy 1/32 Scale F/A-18C Hornet - NOW COMPLETED

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

I have built a number of models this year, all but one so far has been built for others or I have sold or given away. I do have a project on the go at the moment for Scalemodellingnow.com (see a sneek peek below) but am getting really frustrated with it. If you see the gaps on the upper end of the fuselage you will understand why!

Anyway, onto this build. With Christmas looming and the though of having some time off work, I have decided to give one of my 1/32nd Scale Academy F/A-18C Hornets a go. These kits, are meant to be really easy to put together and with the addition of Airies Burner Cans, Airies Cockpit and DMold Intakes (thanks to Scott for these!) it should make it a little more interesting and add a bit more deatils to the kit. I know I do not do many full in progress builds on here due to other commitments, but I am hoping to detail this all the way and have it completed at least by January 2012.

So here we go... Moving away from the Standard US Forces F/A-18C, I have decided to do something a little different...

(Thanks to Simon G for the photo)

Day 1 - 2

Airies Burner cans - ok, these are not the cheapest things in the world, but boy are they really NICE!!! the fit of them is great, and within a few hours, they were primed, painted, cut and washed and ready to go. The cans themselves have four or five shades of AlcladII on them (Dark Aluminium, Jet Exhaust, Magnesium, Hot metal Sepia and Pale Burnt Metal) which has really brought them to life. The inside petals were painted in Gunze H311. Finished with a oil wash of Paynes Grey and MIG Dark Wash

So after a few hours, not really many issues, this is produced:

Next up - Airies Cockpit.

Not by any means finished but you can see the first principles of the cockpit.. Anyone build the kit will need to tak a massive part of the resin under block off the kit so beware!

More soon...

James

P.S. I did take above about the "project" that is causing me grief. This will be going along in the back burner, and I will post some shots up once it has been completed and published.. but for you guys, just a quick peek...

Last edited by Jamesv9820 on Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArabJazzie

Re: James V's Christmas Build - 1/32 Scale F/A-18C Hornet

Post by ArabJazzie »

James,
Will be watching this one. One of the best Tiger tails ever as well!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Your Hornet is looking great, shame about the Lightning! :mad:
Looking forward to this progressing.

Takamota

Post by Takamota »

Very nice, can't wait to see this one!
Http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk Updated 11th January 2016

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Those cans look amazing

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Looking forward to the next update James. :snack:

Alan

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

A bit more progress on this kit. For anyone that has an opportunity to build one but it put off in any way shape or form, this kit is an excellent build. since last time, I have carried out the following: (not many pictures I am afraid, I kind of got carried away last Friday evening and spent a good 5 - 7 hours on it..)

D Mold intakes are now installed and set with super thin cyno glue. these have been set in the correct position, painted and washed and installed

The rear section of the model was glued together at this point. I have used a good liquid cement (thin) called "Mekweld" -it stinks but does not half work and glues in a matter of seconds. The front wings were glued in at this point and the side panels added.

The cockpit was the next section to be sorted out and to be honest has been the most time consuming part of the build. The base colour is Tamiya XF-19 which was sprayed, the console panels picked out in Tamiya XF-69, NATO Black, and the switches painted in yellow, red and a bit of grey. The consoles were added with the Photo Etch (PE) and cellulose transfers, glued in with Micro Krystal Klear and left to dry.

Once the correct fit of the Airies cockpit was achieved, with lots of trimming, and sanding the sections can be closed up, which was relatively easy...

The whole of the above section took the best part of friday evening so it is no mean feast!

Some pictures as it stood back then...

The only bit of filler required

The model now has been primed in Tamiya Grey Primer and has just had a pre shade coat (Gunze H337 - Dark Grey) and now awaits its first coat of paint...

More to follow soon

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Looking good James :clap: She's coming together nicely, which must be a relief from the terror that is the lightning!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Nice James, very nice. :clap:

Alan

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Ahhh memories... I do think I'll take another crack on one of these Academy kits. The only problem I remember running into was the intakes. There is a WIP I did with this kit a few years ago... CF-18 DDay. A little bringing of an old thread... hope you don't mind. http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2141
Yours is looking like a better kit sofar though.

Edit... I forgot to say... please show more of that twin seated Lightning when you get a chance too.

Jamesv9820

Re: James V's Christmas Build - 1/32 Scale F/A-18C Hornet 28

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Hi all,

Bit of an update as of this evening. The model itself has been sprayed and is looking very clean, with a bit of preshade still showing. The undercarriage is also sprayed white, but will need the second and third stage of painting to be carried out.

I'll let the puctures do the talking but more to follow soon:

The start of "that" tail.... These decals are not nice to apply!

And my new Christmas toy;

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Looking great James! :clap: She's really coming on well! :smile:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Coming along nicely James, how good is the fit of DMold intakes, as I see you've left the front off so far?

Brew67

Post by Brew67 »

Looks good James like the neat little airbrush.

Clive

Fentiger

Post by Fentiger »

Looking good JV, nice to see it on line. It is a good looking model.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

More of an update today. lost my mojo to finish the decals today so thought I would show the progress so far.

Nice to see the subtle preshade is showing through and some slight weathering has been applied with Alclad II Hotmetal Sepia and Jet Exhaust. The tail decal was a total **** to apply.

Anyway, on with the photos!

More to follow soon, just got little bits and pieces to do now, and knowing me this should take me a few weeks.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Getting there bud, looks good although too clean looking :wink:

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Thanks Scott,

The swiss ones are really clean though.. I'm in two minds whether to go a bit OTT with the panel wash.

I still have a long way to go yet.

I did see your comment on the Dmolds - The intakes really do not fit that well - the left one fits fine with no problems, the right is a totally different story...

Have you any thoughts on the weathering - could use any comments

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

As you say the Swiss jets are pretty clean, maybe just a bit of Tamiya Smoke here and there and a light panel wash. Any pics of the Intakes fitted?

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Thanks Scott,

Was planning a wash of Paynes Grey all over and Dark Mig wash in areas, will also hit the Tamiya smoke/Alclad Jet Exhaust in places

Will get you a shot of the intakes at some point over the next day or so

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

It has been a while since I have updated but to be honest I have been just messing about with the final weathering and little bits and bobs that take the most amount of time... but she is now done

Academy F/A=18C Hornet - "Staffel 11"

I have really enjoyed building this one. It has fitted together well and has made a change to build a model for me! Finished with Gunze Paints, Tamiya Paints, Citadel Paints, Aries Resin, DMold Intakes and Zotz Decals.

Enjoy the photos - it will be displayed at the Milton Keynes Show (along with 2 other 32nd Hornets, I hope!) so please come along!

I hope you have enjoyed the photos and progress as much as I have building this kit.

Now onto the EE Lightning T5!

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

That is superb, absolutely stunning! The work on the tail decals was well worth it!

You said about the thin cement you use stinks though, have you tried Plastic Weld? I find that stuff workls excellently, glues solid in seconds, and doesn't stink! :grin:

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

A fantastic piece of work! :clap: Looks fantastic, well done on that! :smile:

Fentiger

Re: Academy 1/32 Scale F/A-18C Hornet - NOW COMPLETED

Post by Fentiger »

Superb work as always James and looks superb in the end. Got to say in the flesh it looks better. (Cannot understand the lack of comments... :whistle: :handbag: :handbag: )

Onwards with the Frightning T55 now :smile: I will let you borrow my industrial pack of body filler to bridge the gaps :grin:

scotthldr

Re: Academy 1/32 Scale F/A-18C Hornet - NOW COMPLETED

Post by scotthldr »

Superb build and excellent finishing with just the right amount of weathering applied, the Swiss tend not to let their jets get too dirty :clap:

Looking forward to the next build on the JamesV line :snack: