£%^%£^ airbrush

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Craig
UKAR Staff

£%^%£^ airbrush

Post by Craig »

Why won't this damned thing work?! :sad: Getting air, but no paint through it. Paint is well thinned, but this is irrelevant as it's not getting as far as the airbrush and it won't spray water or thinners neat either. There's no clogging in the brush, the paint hasn't got as far as that, and the tube in the jar is clear of the bottom, it's just not doing anything. Air yes, paint no. Have even tried another can of compressed air, but still no :sad: What am I doing wrong?! :wall:

Fastwalker

Re: £%^%£^ airbrush

Post by Fastwalker »

What type and make are you using?

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

It's a Badger 200N Single Action brush

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

Panic averted! A mate Stateside was able to diagnose what the problem was, locking nut on the back was tightened, loosened that, job's a good un! Wheel bays on one done (like a muppet with all the messing forgot the other) but it's looking good so far, will bring it in from the garage later and will see how it's fared! Fingers crossed!

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Another cause with those same symptoms is the breather hole on top of the syphon cap being blocked.

Prime77

Post by Prime77 »

Ahh the airbrush, love and hate relationship! :lol:

Glad you got it sorted though Craig.
Cheers,
Matt

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

Well thought my problems were behind me, it seems not :sad: . Can't get the thing to spray again. Was spraying OK, but then started to fade. I assumed this was due to the propellant running low, so changed the can. This did cure the problem briefly but very quickly this too started throwing less and less paint. Obvious conclusion to draw was blockage, so checked everything visually, then tried to put a jar of thinners through it. A quick blob, then nothing. Stripped it down, cleaned the needle, soaked the nozzle cap in thinners for a minute then poured a drop of thinners into the paint nozzle. Reassembled but still nothing. Air is going through it just fine, but no paint? What have I done this time? :dunno: :wall:

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Craig,

Drop me a message - happy to have a look at it for you.

It does sound like a paint issue though...

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

Thanks for the assistance gents, but figured it out! Turns out the problem was twofold. firstly, the propellant was getting too cold and losing pressure. Secondly, when I disassembled it to clean I put the needle back too far forward. 15 minutes for the propellant to warm up and adjust the needle, and it works once more :smile:

Rather a learning curve this, very frustrating at times!

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

After much experimenting with mine I learnt to put it back in the box and get the brush back out, had no problems since. :smile:

I will get it out again soon and have another go, just need a few months for the patience reservoir to fill back up.
Regards, Ken

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

I'm determined I WILL master it, just seems to have so many quirks and ideosyncracies. The ironic thing is I find actually using it to be dead easy, I can mix the paint fine, I can get the right coverage no problems it's just the maintainence and troubleshooting. The needle on mine is still VERY stiff even after removing a few times and even with the fastening screw removed it still needs pliers to remove. Got away without damaging the needle somehow after inadventently chucking the damned thing across the garage, putting it back is equally fraught... :hide: