New to modeling

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
AntonovAN-2

New to modeling

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

Hi I have recently started to do some modeling, and have just got the BBMF Airfix gift set, and have a few questions for you, firstly what is the difference between acrylic and enamel paints as up to now i have only used enamel and the kit comes with acrylic, secondly has anyone built the BBMF gift set and if so are there any problems with it?

thank you in advanced

A40-BP

Re: New to modeling

Post by A40-BP »

Acrylic paints are water based, enamel are oil based. Id ditch the ones in the gift set, they really are pants. Enamels will be better if your brush painting, and they are more resistant than acrylics, which are better for airbrushing. All of the kits in the current BBMF set are new toolings, so will be good fitting and look great. But be careful with the Lancaster, if you get one part misalined with the fuselage/main spar assembly the whole thing wont fit properly! So test/dry fit everything first.

A40
With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

A40-BP wrote:Id ditch the ones in the gift set, they really are pants.
A40

Having collected quite a few of these gift set pots, i cant agree with what you say. However, i understand that Humbrol paint production has returned to the UK and have improved even more. There are also modellers here who use a brush with Acrylics(Derek F) with stunning results.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I found brush painting far easier with acrylics than I ever did with enamels - much easier to work with and because they dry much faster, you don't get dust settling into the paint.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

I've always brush painted and airbrushed acrylics and see no reason for me to ever change to enamels. :smile:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Enamels are smelly and horrible, I only use them when I need to, I use Tamiya Acrylics religiously with a few others.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Deacon wrote:I've always brush painted and airbrushed acrylics and see no reason for me to ever change to enamels. :smile:

Then you can only be about 10 because those of us who'd have been doing this for half a century (aaaaaah) only had enamels or paints made using crushed blackberries!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Maisie wrote:Enamels are smelly and horrible, I only use them when I need to, I use Tamiya Acrylics religiously with a few others.

Tamiya acrylics are hardly odourless though. :sick:

I use Xtracrlyix, Humbrol, Revell and Citadel colours and those little pots in kits. I try and avoid Tamiya because of the smell. Like most others I started using enamels 35 years ago when it was all you got but I'm glad I don't use them any more.

Daz

Post by Daz »

I brush paint all my models. Almost exclusively with Acrylics as they brush beautifully, and dry quickly. I use Enamels for Weathering along with Oil paints.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

iainpeden wrote:
Deacon wrote:I've always brush painted and airbrushed acrylics and see no reason for me to ever change to enamels. :smile:

Then you can only be about 10 because those of us who'd have been doing this for half a century (aaaaaah) only had enamels or paints made using crushed blackberries!

Nope, I just try to keep the dark days of childhood memories of painting with enamels in the dim recesses of my mind. :wink:

I of course meant since returning to the hobby. :tongue:

Besides, Vallejo paints came on the market in 1992, so that's 12 years ago, then add 3 years for learning to use a brush rather than suck the paint out of the bottle, that makes me 15! But you're right
my builds look like they've been created by a 10 year old making his first kit. :lol:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Deacon wrote:Besides, Vallejo paints came on the market in 1992, so that's 12 years ago, then add 3 years for learning to use a brush rather than suck the paint out of the bottle, that makes me 15!

Think you need to get back to school wi maths like that!!! :handbag:
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Craig

Post by Craig »

Yep hate to break this to you but 1992 is actually 22 years ago...! :dizzy:

Yeah, doesn't seem it somehow!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Going slightly away from the paint theme, can you remember the "glue" in the little foil tubes? I once had one split in my mouth while modelling - tasted awful.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Yes I can, still available just not a lot of good for precision! Having said that wish I could find a way to stop the needle applicators clogging, got about 3 of them and still had to resort to taking it out and using a cocktail stick!

Going back to the paint theme though, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is be careful mixing them. If you paint on acrylic and then enamel (or is it the other way around? :dunno: ) you'll end up with the paint reacting. Whichever you decide to use stick with it, and make sure you seal a layer with a varnish before using a different type of paint :smile:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Craig, if the needle applicator gets clogged I find fuse wire is a good way to clear it.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

I just use a match - works a treat!

Craig wrote:Yes I can, still available just not a lot of good for precision! Having said that wish I could find a way to stop the needle applicators clogging, got about 3 of them and still had to resort to taking it out and using a cocktail stick!

Going back to the paint theme though, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is be careful mixing them. If you paint on acrylic and then enamel (or is it the other way around? :dunno: ) you'll end up with the paint reacting. Whichever you decide to use stick with it, and make sure you seal a layer with a varnish before using a different type of paint :smile:

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

iainpeden wrote:Going slightly away from the paint theme, can you remember the "glue" in the little foil tubes? I once had one split in my mouth while modelling - tasted awful.

See, that's strange, because glue normally tastes so nice :lol:

I hope you're not glueton intolerant....

Sorry Ian, couldn't resist.

Cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

Well gave it a go with acrylics on the mk19 spitfire and I have to say I prefer it to enamle so gunna switch

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

RRconway wrote:
iainpeden wrote:Going slightly away from the paint theme, can you remember the "glue" in the little foil tubes? I once had one split in my mouth while modelling - tasted awful.

See, that's strange, because glue normally tastes so nice :lol:

I hope you're not glueton intolerant....

Sorry Ian, couldn't resist.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Don't worry - I was about 6 at the time and learnt very quickly from the experience! Got a telling off from my dad at the time - not because of the potential poisoning I had self inflicted but because he was working on an Airfix Halifax he wanted to get finished and didn't have any other tubes of glue.

Norman44

Post by Norman44 »

Usually I use Tamiya or Vallejo acrylic paints, but 2 years ago I received that Xtracrylix set as a gift. Never used Tamiya and Vallejo again.

Jason21

Post by Jason21 »

I've started it not so long time ago and haven't done a lot yet. So, I'm aslo new here.

Remember that awesome feeling when made my first model :smile: