1:48 Aeroclub Meteor T7 - WIP

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
FGR2

1:48 Aeroclub Meteor T7 - WIP

Post by FGR2 »

Have been trying to get a Meteor T7 for a while, the Classic Airframes ones go for around £50. The Aeroclub kit is supposed to be very good as well, (although Vac form) and is a bit cheaper.

Started it over the weekend, most of the time I think is going to be taken up with cutting, sanding and filling.

After a lot of cutting and sanding down, it is beginning to look more Meteor shaped. :smile: (and I still have all my fingers intact as well) :biggrin:

Craig

Re: 1:48 Aeroclub Meteor T7 - WIP

Post by Craig »

Fair play mate, vac form still scares the hell out of me! :hide:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Haven't had anything scary happen yet, it is just one of those things that you have to spend ages carefully cutting around, sanding down and lining everything up.

It's not going to be a quick build, but I'd rather spend more time sanding it down to start with, rather than rectifying with loads of filler afterwards.

tc2324

Post by tc2324 »

Craig wrote:Fair play mate, vac form still scares the hell out of me! :hide:

Agreed, absolutely scares the poo out of me so very well done on cracking on with it. :clap:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Having used an Aeroclub vac Spitfire conversion, i have nothing but praise for their stuff.

I used a how to with connections to Aeroclub and would recommend it to anyone with a vacform in the stash, like my 2 Lightning twin-sticks.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

looking forward to this mate. :snack:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Always very brave but worthwhile modelling, it'll be great to see how this progresses. Could even tempt me to dig my Aeroclub Canberra from the stash!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

This one is more time consuming than challenging, just sanding down and making sure the parts fit.

One thing you have to do is sand down the thickness of the trailing edges of the wings, I have started on these but they may need a bit more off.

I have also cut out the discs which the white metal engine fronts will glue on to, (and be buried in the wing). The jetpipes (which I haven't cut out yet) will glue onto the back of these.

I have also tidied up the fit between the resin intakes and the wings. Once the wings are together I will do the final bit of sanding and filing. Without locating lugs is it more difficult to dry-fit parts as they slide all over the place :dizzy:

So far it has been quite easy (dare I say that) :grin:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Been ticking along with this one on and off over the last couple of months.

Built the two halves of the jet pipe, and the disc that goes on the front. The metal engine face halves were glued in place and the wings glued together.

Cockpit is coming along, needs a bit more painting.

Today, I've been looking at the engine nacelle fit, and getting some paint onto the inside of the engines for when they go one.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

I've tried my hand at one Vac form kit and I just can't do it! What you have started looks great sofar.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

It's been quite a while since the last update, I have been plodding along with this one. Lots of time filling and sanding :dizzy:

Fuselage halves and wings joined using bits of the vac form plastic as tabs, still my alignment wasn't quite 100%.

Looking a bit more like Meteor now, canopy is only resting on there, still got to look at some of the panel joins, as I am not happy with some of them.

Main parts are now on, (undercarriage and under belly tank) still have to look at tidying up the Nacelle to wing joins.

Currently I'm looking at the canopy, I am actually putting a thin wall of plastic along the top of body/canopy sill. This will hold the vac-form canopy in place and make it easier to stick on "in line" with the body. I can also fill any gaps between the canopy and body line and you won't be able to see the milliput through the other side of the cockpit, as the wall will hide it ;)

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Great work , it's like vacform kit building is all the tricky parts of modelling turned up to 11 .
It's a nice build and involves so much work. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

This one seems to be taking forever :)

Been doing bits on this one on and off over the last few months. Trying to get the nacelles aligned with a reasonable panel line took some time. The canopy alignment was a bit of a challenge and then painting where the frames were very difficult. The lines are virtually invisible. I still have some tidying of the paint to do, especially around the canopy frames, but here it is as it stands today. Not too long now (hopefully) :smile:

expat1

Post by expat1 »

Lovely. Great skills, I'm not yet brave enough to try vacform. :worship: :worship:
You don't take a photograph you make it - Ansel Adams.
Canon 6D, Canon 7D, 100-400L, 70-200L, Tamron SP 150-600.

Wavertree

Post by Wavertree »

Love your photos on the construction of the T.7.
I bought a second-hand Aeroclub kit of this aircraft, and I find that the decals are there (I bought extra because I want to do the 611 Squadron one as I used to see it as a kid and my dad flew in it) the typed guff is there, and that is all apart from the pieces.
Most of the plane doesn't actually need plans, but the white-metal parts do, especially in the area of the cockpit. I see also that there is an illustration of the a/c.
Is it possible for you to email me a copy of the missing docs?
Regards,
Tony Sheffield
anthonysheffield13@gmail.com