Modelling Forum Boost

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
DerekF

Modelling Forum Boost

Post by DerekF »

Right then. It's been quiet around here recently so what can we do to give the rather quiet modelling forum a boost. Do we want group builds, competitions, themed builds.....etc.?

Suggestions, ideas?

farnboroughrob

Re: Modelling Forum Boost

Post by farnboroughrob »

As I have only recently started to produce models of a decent quality I would like to contribute to group builds as long as the scale is not 1/24. For me modelling season starts again in October, have a Revell 1/144 An-124 to start with. Would be interesting for several of us to do the same (relatively inexpensive) model and compare notes. Something like this may help those of us are still learning ,after years of poor results!
Rob

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Derek - good to meet you on Saturday. Idea for a group build - simply one without a time limit (which I know rather defeats the object but suits my modelling.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

farnboroughrob wrote:As I have only recently started to produce models of a decent quality I would like to contribute to group builds as long as the scale is not 1/24. For me modelling season starts again in October, have a Revell 1/144 An-124 to start with. Would be interesting for several of us to do the same (relatively inexpensive) model and compare notes. Something like this may help those of us are still learning ,after years of poor results!
Rob

Everyone building the same kit is an idea. Pick something inexpensive or fairly generic Airfix Spitfire or somesuch.

iainpeden wrote:Derek - good to meet you on Saturday. Idea for a group build - simply one without a time limit (which I know rather defeats the object but suits my modelling.)

Good to meet you too Iain . I'm with you on the timescales - I often simply run out of time to even start far less finish.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I've got a few builds on at the moment so i'll get up some photos of the progress so far.

Would anyone be interested in a 1/144th GB? Small, cheap & easy builds might entice a few more people to join in? :)
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

144th GB.

Rats, I just finished this.

Regards, Ken

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

I'm up for the no time limits group build. I've only done one in the past because I kept missing the deadline as I was stuck building something else :smile:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Deffinetly up for the I/144 GB, have my eye on a British Air Ferries Carvair(DC-4 conversion for the uninitiated), or a Eagle Airways Viscount. :drool:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

farnboroughrob wrote:Deffinetly up for the I/144 GB, have my eye on a British Air Ferries Carvair(DC-4 conversion for the uninitiated), or a Eagle Airways Viscount. :drool:

Did you know Roden do a 1/144th Carvair? KingKit seem to be the cheapest UK supplier that I've seen - http://www.kingkit.co.uk/product_detail ... odID=20007
6D | 7D | 60D

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Maisie wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:Deffinetly up for the I/144 GB, have my eye on a British Air Ferries Carvair(DC-4 conversion for the uninitiated), or a Eagle Airways Viscount. :drool:

Did you know Roden do a 1/144th Carvair? KingKit seem to be the cheapest UK supplier that I've seen - http://www.kingkit.co.uk/product_detail ... odID=20007

Thanks ,I did see one on a stall at Yeovilton and was tempted. Not come across Roden before but they have some great propliners like the Britannia and C-124. The 1:48 Beech Staggerwing got me almost forgetting my hatred of bi-plane kits :drool:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

They aren't bad kits tbh! I will be building their 1/144th C-119 at some point :)
6D | 7D | 60D

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

I am also up for the 144th scale build, got Revell's A400M and An-124 in the stash, could easily whack those out for this!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Have a 1/144th C-17 I might be tempted to dig out.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I don't oft post down here because my skills are well sub-par, and I have little time to do it anymore, but rest assured, I love viewing these threads and seeing the progress on builds. So though it might seem a bit quiet, there are those of us who like to admire from a distance.

Build on, chaps! :king:

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

I'd be down for the 1/144th group build, I have the whole summer off! Would be good to see the builds as often the aircraft aren't built in 1/72- because they would be waaay too big! :grin: Will have to find something out to do, but count me in!

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

hmm my eyes are kind of bad for 1/144.... :lol: But it would tempt me into maybe a Concorde kit or something along the same line. As far as time limits... If there was no time limit. In order to open more group builds we would have to eventually close one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing for a time limit.... but I don't think 1-10 unlimited time group builds would work. What about something like 5-10 group build categories that people vote for and be open for a solid year starting around September 1st? That would give enough time to vote for categories and buy up kits as well as finish the airshow season.

As well as the group builds for a solid year... I would like to add, if we do 10 group builds. I hope nobody gets ticked off since this is the "Aircraft Modelling" section.... maybe one of those 10 can be for anything but aircraft (Ships,Tanks,Cars you name it) Even though we are all mainly here because it is an aviation forum, I do know a few people that build ships,tanks and cars as their second hobby. We could group anything other then aviation into one group build? Heck I wouldn't mind a go at a few tanks..... Did I just say that? :grin:

Anyway I'm going to pin this one for now so we can work out some ideas.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

good to see the thread active on this subject. I am up for a GB but I am not sure if 1/144 is the way forward but if that is the consensus I would be happy to participate. I did think that a "back to basics" GB would be quite good. By that I mean going back to a starter set an using what is included. The only permutations would be a basic modelling knife (no filler, sanding sticks etc).

Would you think we could get some prizes sorted out - Rod, I will message you about that

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Would be great, I agree, to get some life back into this. Much like most of my photography, I know my modelling is rather sub-par although always happy to take part where possible! :up:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Maybe to try an encourage a wider participation, a "back to basics" GB is the way to go to start with. That way those of us with rather less in the modelling skill department could give it a go.

A Battle of Britain GB could include aircraft, vehicles, ships maybe? Combined with one of the Airfix starter sets?
The 1/144 scale works for many of us ( I have lots of airliners to build :) )

I like the idea of having as long a timescale as possible, the three month builds we had were a struggle for many.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

@WG655. Just taking your point up, could the members here help you improve by giving a "how2" example to a specific problem? By that I don't mean giving a link to YouTube or Flory models. I am talking about our/own representation of how we would do it? Happy to do this if you like and I am sure a few other members will as well

Sounds like we have a good few ideas for the gb's as well look forward to it whichever way go.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
Sorry ive been a bit quiet of late but thats the family holiday to Florida now done but not forgotten, and the logging up nearly finished for the airfields i managed to squeeze in!

First of all, is there any way to get Deacon back?

I like the idea of a starter set GB as i have quite a few sitting waiting! I also have a number of 1/144 kits that really need starting before i decide they are heading for the stash cull! :dizzy: :surrender: :sweat:

Other ideas i will put up for discussion are single kit manufacturer, eg Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa, RAF through the years and other single scale GBs like 1/72 and 1/48. However, i am suggesting this but may not be able to get involved myself due to work, but we shall see.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Cimmerian
UKAR Supporter

Post by Cimmerian »

ArabJazzie wrote:
First of all, is there any way to get Deacon back?

That would be nice, sorry to say I haven't heard from him since he packed up. I've messaged him on another forum and e-mailed him but he didn't respond to either. :sad:
Regards, Ken

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Hi all.
It would be good to get the GB going again.
I like the idea that Fumbles mentioned about having 5 subjects open for a year, I suppose that would give more scope for kits to be entered thus keeping interest in the subject.
I also like the idea of a prize being awarded to the winner.firstly could this be decided by a group vote when the GB finishes ? Secondly how would the prizes be funded ? Will the GB host provide it, or would everyone chip in a few quid. E.G you have 10 people taking part they all put £2 in a pot. That's £20 for a kit as a prize ?
Thoughts and comments.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I'm easy for any GB, back to basics would be pretty cool.
6D | 7D | 60D

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

I'd be interested in a starter kit type group build, depending on scale etc