Tornado F.3 pair

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
DerekF

Tornado F.3 pair

Post by DerekF »

My two latest builds, built at the same time. This is the newish Revell 1/48 version. Interesting kit, very overengineered in places but very detailed. The 56Sqn aircraft was fitted with the flaps and slats deployed. This means fixing the wings in place. The black one is supposed have the wings (and pylons) moveable but the paint finish has stopped all that. Some aspects weren't so good. The intake fit and taliplane fit wasn't good and some instructions were a bit vague. Some parts were so small I struggled to pick them up, that's if the carpet monster didn't claim them first.
Both using Xtradecal decal sheets.
Firstly ZG757 finished in black in the 43Sqn anniversary markings from 2006.

Secondly this one finished as one of the 56sqn display jets in 2005.

FarnboroJohn

Re: Tornado F.3 pair

Post by FarnboroJohn »

These are nice Derek. I like the one with the spoilers out particularly.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Lovely job mate! I'm working on the GR4 at present and finding the same. Some fit issues I haven't really conquered but it's building into a smart Tornado. Anything like those two I'd be very happy with!

maltwoser

Post by maltwoser »

Nice job Derek, but surely 757's radome is the wrong colour! :whistle:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

No it was black originally. I don't know if it flew with a black radome but it was certainly rolled out as such. It looks better than the grey anyway

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-F3/1100821/L

Craig

Post by Craig »

DerekF wrote:No it was black originally. I don't know if it flew with a black radome but it was certainly rolled out as such. It looks better than the grey anyway

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/Panavia-Tornado-F3/1100821/L

I'm pretty sure it did fly with the black redone but maybe only once. The aircraft broke cover once before being consigned to a hangar as the paint job had not been authorised. It then briefly reappeared before being repainted. A pity it was such a short lived scheme it was certainly spectacular! Even more sad I was at Leuchars with the ATC at the time but couldn't get near it.